Axiom Home Page
Posted By: KC_Mike DSW Hacked - 03/12/05 08:09 AM
I heard on the news today that someone hacked into DSW's customer database and gained access to at least 170,000 customer records...maybe much more. I have shopped for shoes at DSW for years.

I cant stand the thought of my identity being stolen.

When a large security breach like that happens, do you think companies should be liable? If my identity were stolen as a result of this, I think I would file a lawsuit. What would you do?
Posted By: curtis Re: DSW Hacked - 03/12/05 04:23 PM
What is "DSW"?
Posted By: Wid Re: DSW Hacked - 03/12/05 04:24 PM

I was wondering the same thing.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: DSW Hacked - 03/12/05 04:29 PM
Wow Mike - now we must question if this is really YOU making this post!

If you are truly concerned, do a search on identity theft on the net - I'll bet the amount of info and advice is staggering.

You can cancel/replace the credit card and bank accounts you used in shopping at DSW. The amount of info they have there is likely somewhat limited. Call their HQ/Customer Service and ask what info is listed to determine the extent of your risk.

Also, make a list of all of your financial number (accts, investments, credit cards, etc) and the corresponding "1-800 trouble number".

Finally, set your self up to obtain credit reports on yourself periodically and look for odd activity.

I hope this doesn't start a thread of - "I am Emmet Smith" jokes.
Posted By: bray Re: DSW Hacked - 03/12/05 04:35 PM
DSW is a shoe warehouse. Great selection of shoes at a great price.
If I need shoes, thats where I go.
Posted By: Wid Re: DSW Hacked - 03/12/05 04:45 PM

You could also put an fraud alert on your cards just by calling them and telling them so.They will question any large purchases and any activity that is not of your norm.I had to do this last year when the IRS told me someone was filing their taxes under my SS #.It was a bit of a pain in the a$$ but had to be done to protect myself.
Posted By: curtis Re: DSW Hacked - 03/12/05 05:06 PM
I was thinking Discount Shoe Warehouse....but wasn't sure.
© Axiom Message Boards