Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Ikea in Beech finish? - 04/07/05 12:35 PM
Man, is this post gonna get buried after Amie's post this morning... but I'll try anyway:

I've got to head to NY tomorrow and my sister wants to stop off at some big Ikea store in CT on the way. I browsed their website for a few Beech finish items (You know you love your speakers when you redecorate the rest of the room to match your speakers' finish) and came up with this shelf unit:

I'll bring a photo of the Beech finish on my Axioms... but as a "heads-up" as to whether or not I'm likely to pick it up, has anyone ever compared the Ikea Beech finish to their Axioms to see how close it is? It looks darker than my speakers in this photo, but......(?) I just don't want to buy something three states away and get it home to find it doesn't match as well as I thought it would!

Posted By: real80sman Re: Ikea in Beech finish? - 04/07/05 01:35 PM
Mark, with a little fore thought you could have had Axiom send you out a sample board.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Ikea in Beech finish? - 04/07/05 02:01 PM
Just cut a 1" square out of the rear of an M60. Or you could carry a Qs8 with you.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Ikea in Beech finish? - 04/07/05 02:30 PM
Shawn:
I can actually print a color-matched sample of the finish and bring it with me....I guess I was just thinking that since a good number of people are "into" Ikea stuff, somebody may have already compared their Beech to Axioms' Beech and could tip me off. There's no sense in me taking the van on this trip if someone chimed in with "Naaah, Ikea's Beech doesn't match so well" and I therefore know I won't be hauling three big boxes home. Thanks for the thought though!

Ray:
I'm ignoring that idea completely! Go play with your remote!!
Posted By: bray Re: Ikea in Beech finish? - 04/07/05 03:17 PM
Mark I have an Ikea dining room table, office shelf, and a small TV cart all in beech. The Ikea beech is just a tad warmer in the red channels, but still a good match, not perfect but good. Ikea beech also has a tighter grain than the Axioms. The darker grain in the Axioms comes very close to Ikeas overall beech color.
Does that make sense?

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Ikea in Beech finish? - 04/07/05 03:24 PM
Ummm, so pretty darn close, huh?

Sounds good to me! I'm hoping to gain a bit more storage and allow books on the shelves to "break up" my early sidewall reflections!

Thanks Brady!
Posted By: bray Re: Ikea in Beech finish? - 04/07/05 04:00 PM
Here ya go Mark
Axiom left Ikea right

Sample of M60 and Ikea TV cart.
I notice that my table is a tad lighter in tone than the TV cart.

EDIT: I also notice that my Ikea shelf is darker in tone than any of my Ikea products.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Ikea in Beech finish? - 04/07/05 04:04 PM
now THATS service...

ask, and ye shall receive.

bigjohn
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Ikea in Beech finish? - 04/07/05 04:49 PM
Wow!

What a guy, what a guy! Give that guy 1/125th at F/8!

Thanks Bray! Looks like I should take the van!
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Ikea in Beech finish? - 04/07/05 05:15 PM
I tried to do a similar thing w/ a Salamander stand, using Maple. It was close to Mansfield. Also, the speakers are close in color to our hardwood floors. But the combination of all 3 together was horrible. They were all "close" but not the same and it was too disturbing to my eye. Contrast looks better to me.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Ikea in Beech finish? - 04/08/05 12:37 AM
Mark,

This will be your opportunity to pick up a nice Christmas gift for me! A nice EXPENSIVE Christmas gift.

I already got yours. Same thing I got you last year, but this year I wrapped it.

Posted By: DallasAxiom Re: Ikea in Beech finish? - 04/09/05 08:03 AM
Mansfield Beech rules!!!
© Axiom Message Boards