Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 06:04 PM
...everyone is working?

Where are the posts? Yawn.

Posted By: James_T Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 06:13 PM
It's monday! And I'm tasked with doing a write up on a Disaster Recovery test we did over the weekend as well as write up documenation so that our executives can access our VPN from a hotel in San Diego next week. AND teach a new co-worker how do to some software installations and configurations. Oh, and have a nice day

jr
Posted By: RickF Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 06:16 PM
I'm here Craig, just walked in the door and was catching up.

Was thinking (hoping!) the Rotel dealer would have called today to tell me that my amp and preamp are in and ready for a new home. Every freaking body and their brother has called me today and each time I hear the phone ring I'm thinking...here they are! Not yet, shoot!

Oh well, hope your having a good one!
Posted By: Tharkun Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 06:17 PM
If you are bored, drive up and I'm sure I can find something that needs working on, like running the cables for the twins.
Posted By: RickF Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 06:21 PM
In reply to:

If you are bored, drive up and I'm sure I can find something that needs working on, like running the cables for the twins.

Man, everytime I see mention of that system of yours I keep remembering what bigjohn said about it the other day...'I dare you to sit right F@*#^%# there!'

Posted By: Tharkun Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 06:37 PM
Okay, I know I have been busy, but did I misss a post about your new toys, or you just keeping it a secret ?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 06:44 PM
Watching and waiting... Why, it's been 10 minutes since I looked last, and no one's posted anything but in this thread. Zzzz. Where's my entertainment, people?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 06:54 PM
In reply to:

Watching and waiting... Why, it's been 10 minutes since I looked last, and no one's posted anything but in this thread. Zzzz. Where's my entertainment, people?

EXACTLY!

Posted By: spiffnme Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 06:55 PM
When I get bored, I tend to start trolling Ebay. My wallet can't handle that right now. Start posting!

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 07:07 PM
Postin' postin' postin'
Keep them dogies postin'
Rawhaaaide!
Posted By: Tharkun Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 07:10 PM
About to take a break, suppose I could post about what snippy suggested yesterday, and I tired it to see if it impoved the sound.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 07:22 PM
ZZZZZ is right.. i was up WAY TOOOO late last night, and now i am head-snappin here at my desk. i cant hardly keep my eyes open. geez, i hate it when i am like this. i feel totally useless.. coffee, more mid-day coffee.. now my breath will stink all afternoon, and the caffeine will start to kick in right about the time i will need to go to bed tonight.

i got a new stove this weekend. well, i had bought it earlier in the week, but they didnt get it in til saturday. its a Hotpoint, radiant glass top with a 5 cu.ft oven and digital display. its pretty nice, i like it.. but now i have to get used to it. i over cooked some sunny side up eggs on sunday morning, and then under baked some chicken nuggets last night. its gonna take a while.

oh, and today is my 8th wedding anniversary. i am trying to line up a sitter so we can go out to dinner this evening. i love being married, and i am glad i got a good one. a lot of my friends do nothing but complain about their wives, and how they hate being married.. my first question to them is, "then why did ya?" i got a good woman, and i know it cause she reminds me at least twice a day!!

i was telling one of my buddies that my anniversary was coming up, and he says.."i been married for 10 years, and it has only seemed like 10 minutes.......underwater..!"

bigjohn
Posted By: Tharkun Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 07:26 PM
Congrats John, hope ya get out for dinner. I have been married and divorced twice, so enjoy finding the right person to stay with.
Posted By: RickF Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 07:28 PM
In reply to:

oh, and today is my 8th wedding anniversary.

That's cool big john, this year will be 24 married years for my wife and I, 26 together. I can't believe it, after all this time she still tolerates me. Amazing.

Posted By: bigwill2 Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 07:55 PM
'.."i been married for 10 years, and it has only seemed like 10 minutes.......underwater..!"'

Nice timing bigjohn! I was just about ready to pull the plug on this exciting thread. Seriously, it was reading like one of those stupid funny movies - you know, Clerks, Napoleon Dynamite, etc... - like that Emily Dickinson poem about the fly buzzing - like Camus' famous novel, etc...

Posted By: spiffnme Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 07:57 PM
Congrats BigJohn. Roger and I are in the midst of year six.

btw...I went out last night (on a school night no less!) and saw "Kung Fu Hussle" (for the second time)

Holy cow that's a funny movie. If it hits a theatre near you - go see it!

Posted By: bigjohn Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 07:58 PM
In reply to:

just about ready to pull the plug on this exciting thread

ugh, dont do that.... its the only thing thats keeping me awake right now.!!

bigjohn
Posted By: Ajax Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 08:30 PM
Congratulations to you and Shannon, John. I have profound respect for your attitude toward marriage, and your wife.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 08:53 PM
Congratulations to both you and St. Shannon, John!!!

Debbie and I have been married for 33 years; two of them happy.
Posted By: curtis Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 09:01 PM
In reply to:

Debbie and I have been married for 33 years; two of them happy.

Is that because you have had your HT setup for two years?
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 09:19 PM
Congratulations, dude!

Your attitude towards marriage is a breath of fresh air in today's society.

You got a keeper!

If we were local, we'd watch your kids for you so you guys could have a night out.

Sarah and I will celebrate 16 years this year...I got a keeper too!

Again, Congratulations!

WhatFurrer
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 09:23 PM
thanks all for the kind words.

hopefully, your 16th, and 26th, and 33rd, and so on and so forth will be great also.

i think i got a sitter, so we are going to go eat a big steak dinner, and then we are gonna rent the movie 'sideways', then come home and watch it, and who knows after that...?

bigjohn
Posted By: RickF Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 09:34 PM
In reply to:

and who knows after that...?

Who knows john?

This time tomorrow ol' john is going to be showing up here telling everybody how he's barely keeping his head off the desk due to lack of sleep and the coffee tasting kind of stale and etc!

Have fun man, and congrats!

Posted By: spiffnme Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 09:38 PM
Stop by the wine shop and pick up a nice bottle of Pinot Noir on your way home. Gotta drink a glass/bottle of Pinot if you're going to watch "Sideways"!

Posted By: Engine_Joe Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 10:16 PM
No, no... they should get a bottle of merlot.

I have an image of John in middle of a big gulp, mouth full of pleasant tasting wine, as Miles makes his affirmative statement!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Don't tell me... - 04/11/05 11:06 PM
heheheheheh....

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 12:18 AM
I was upgrading computers to XP SP2, and then correcting the step-by-step instructions so even a monkey could follow them.

We finished early, though, so now I'm killing time.
Posted By: curtis Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 12:20 AM
In reply to:

I was upgrading computers to XP SP2, and then correcting the step-by-step instructions so even a monkey could follow them.

Can we borrow your monkey? We need to have some systems upgraded here.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 12:25 AM
it's not the service pack installation that's hard (just a batch file), but the firewall, security, IE, etc. settings that need to be fixed AFTER the install that are the problem.

Writing procedural documentation is a bitch, especially if you're anal.
Posted By: bray Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 01:06 AM
bigjohn
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!
Sorry I wasnt here to help you be bored, but I actually got some work, and it looks like there is more on the way. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I sure wished you lived here, and I would keep the kids for ya.
That Jackson sure is a cool little booger.
Tell Shannon I said hey, and Happy Aniversary.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 02:12 AM
Hey John! Happy Anniversary!! Hope you don't read this til a lot later.

By that, I mean I hope you got a baby sitter and were able to get out for dinner.

My anniversary dosen't come due yet until November-it'll be 38 years.

I make fun(it's my right)of my wifes' nagging(it's HER right)but it's all in fun. She's just had a lot of years to polish her craft-she's got nagging down to a fine art.

I wonder how well she will progress her nagging in the Next 38 years?

Hope you both had a great anniversary!
Rich.
Posted By: littleb Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 02:37 AM
big john,

I quadruple the sentiment. Happy anniversary.

f107,

38 years!!! Wow, man. Please don't tell me that 107+5 is your age. That just reminded me of something. Come August I will have lived the same babe for 25 years.

Posted By: JohnK Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 03:06 AM
John, happy anniversary and many more to you and Shannon.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 03:30 AM
These days, sometimes it feels like 107 years!! Gads, the time goes by fast-bet those 25 years went by pretty quickly too, didn't they?

Rich.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 05:43 AM
Happy Anniversary to you and Shannon, big guy!

Bren R.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 06:09 AM
Happy anniversary, John! Enjoy your dinner, movie, and well. . .you know. . .
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 06:16 AM
Congrats, John! Hope you two enjoy(ed?) it!
Posted By: littleb Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 12:53 PM
You're definitely right about that. One moment I had a full head of hair, was changing diapers and listening to a pair of Technics floorstanders and the next I was thinking of getting a scalp tatoo, listening to my child's home expansion plans and listening a 5.1 setup consisting mostly of Axiom. I would really miss my Axioms if they went away, but I'll never miss the diapers.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 01:19 PM
well, i guess i should give an anniversary update..

i got home yesterday afternoon, to find my 'gifts' on the table. OK, now tell me if this woman doesnt know me or what? first, she made a really cool handmade card with all her scrapbook stuff. it was really neat, and i just dig handmade stuff. the card was propped against a bottle of chimay blue, chimay red, and a bottle of duvel. then, as if she hadnt done good enough, there was a gift bag with the SACD of allison krause's 'forget about it', the DTS dvd of 'johnny cash live in montreux 1994', and the DTS limited edition of 'JAWS'.

i felt real bad cause all i got her was a store bought card and a gift certificate for her to get a pedicure(she really loves those).. anyway, my mom came and watched the boys, and we went to a local steak house and ate dinner. ribeye was great, then we split there and went and got some blizzards at dairy queen. stopped at the blockbuster and got 'sideways' and the 'harold and kumar' movie, and headed back to the house.

no wine, but i did drink my chimay blue. i thought the 'sideways' movie was just great. i really think its the small, subtle parts of that movie that make it good. that giamatti guy is a really awesome actor. i swear, you can feel his pain.

got to bed early, yada, yada, yada.. i feel great this morning.

heres hoping that ALL of ya'lls anniversaries can be as good!!

BTW- gonna watch the 'harold and kumar' movie tonight, and hope to watch the johnny cash this weekend. i will let you know what i think of it!

bigjohn
Posted By: bray Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 02:06 PM

Posted By: player8 Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 03:40 PM
Don't wanna burst your bubble or anything but the new "Jaws" version even in DTS is very unimpressive.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 03:57 PM
Perhaps the DTS sound may not wow, but that film can still wow. That was back when Spielberg didn't try so hard. (read: better films)

Posted By: bigjohn Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 04:08 PM
well, i dont need the sound to WOW me all that much.. usually when they try and overdub the older movies with DTS, it rarely is impressive. but, that movie alone is worth being in any collection, even on VHS.

once i saw that movie as an adult, i realized that my parents were complete MORONS for taking a 7 year old kid to go see that. i was soooo scared of any 'body' of water.. i wouldnt take a bath, or even step over a puddle in the street cause i thought that damn shark was gonna jump out and get me!! its kinda funny to think about now, but as a kid, i was seriously freaked out.. and they also took me to see the original alien at the theater. when that dang thing popped out of the guys chest, i left the theater and waited in the lobby til it was over.. i was petrified.

geez, why couldnt my cheap a$$ parents just got a baby-sitter??

bigjohn
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 04:38 PM
When people ask me what is the scariest movie I've seen, I tell them "Jaws." Not for jump-out-of-your-seat kind of thrills, but more for long term, deep-rooted kind of fears. I was truly terrified of water.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 04:44 PM
In reply to:

scariest movie I've seen, I tell them "Jaws."

agree, but i would put 'The Exorcist' as the all-time scariest. talk about a movie with some deep-rooted fears. but, 'Jaws' is most definitley top 5.

didnt we have a "scariest movie" thread a while back?

bigjohn
Posted By: curtis Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 05:00 PM
What year did "Jaws" come out? "Jaws 2"?

Anyways, back in 1977 or 78, I was 13 or 14, and was in the Los Angeles County summer Junior Lifeguard program. We basicly met everyday on the beach from 8am to noon learning about the beach, lifeguarding, and competing. The swims that we went on were sometimes 300 yards or so out into the ocean, around a buoy, and back.

After seeing one of the Jaws movies...it made me swim faster.

Posted By: bigjohn Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 05:07 PM
the original 'JAWS' came out in 75, and 'Jaws II' came out in 78.

i reckon you WERE swimming fast.. i wouldnt have been in the water at all!!

bigjohn
Posted By: bray Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 05:28 PM
Hell, I can remember freakin out in the swimming pool.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 06:09 PM
Yes, the "Excorcist" is also one of those movies that is creepy scary. Kind of stays with you. Most scary movies nowadays are all about blood and gore and things jumping in from offscreen.
One of the best things about "Jaws" is that you don't get to see the shark until halfway through the movie. I think Spielberg made that demand. Or maybe it's just because they could never get the mechanical shark to work correctly. The original "Alien" is also a good example of one of those tension builders. In my opinion, todays audiences don't have the patience for stuff like that. It's all about quick payoffs. There are exceptions, don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed "The Sixth Sense," and I appreciated what "The Others" tried to do (the ending killed it).
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 06:36 PM
In reply to:

I appreciated what "The Others" tried to do

oh, no doubt.. the first time i saw that movie, i was just totally freaked out by the whole first hour.. i thought the husband arriving just kinda confused it, and then the end was a bit of a let down.. but man, you talk about a movie that just had me jumpy.

i prefer them that way.. and i agree, now-a-days, its all JUMP out and scare you.. lots of blood.. in fact, i dont think i have seen a well made horror flick in a long time...

bigjohn
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 06:39 PM
The Ring was pretty darn creepy.

Posted By: bigjohn Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 06:45 PM
yes, it did have its moments.. but i would call it average at best.. i want one of those movies that scares you so bad, you are still thinking about it a few days later, and get freaked out just by thinking about it..

to this day, i still cant watch the exorcist with all the lights out in the house. it just freaks me out THAT much.

bigjohn
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 06:53 PM
The film really digs deep into religious beliefs...having little to none, that film just doesn't scare me.

Films that scared me...

The Ring
Audition (nearly walked out of this one!)
Rosemary's Baby (not as scary as it was just a really well made movie)
Requiem for a Dream (in a different kind of way, but it really disturbed me for days)

Posted By: bigjohn Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 06:58 PM
In reply to:

Rosemary's Baby

yes, this one is creepy in an old school way..

the whole scene where satan is supposed to be raping her, but she doesnt know if its a dream or for real.. that was done VERY creepy. my wife cant watch that movie...

i have never heard of 'audition'?

bigjohn
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 06:59 PM
Y'all are going to laugh at me, but building on the "halfway through the movie" thing.. .The remake of The Haunting a few years back was pretty freaky-until things started completely happening on screen. The ever so slightly moving cherub faces on the bedframe were scary as hell, the hovering black shroud, not so much.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 06:59 PM
Audition

Posted By: PaulM Re: Don't tell me... - 04/12/05 07:29 PM
This thread is bringing back a few long forgotten memories. I've been a suck since I was a kid when it comes to horror flicks, ghost stories and stuff like that.

I remember when I was in Junior High and one Friday night a month the school would host have a cheap movie night for neighbourhood students. One time they showed an Edgar Allan Poe movie, I think it was The Pit in The Pendulum. The movie freaked me out so much that when walking home with some frinds in the dark that night I insisted at least one of them had to accompany me up my street the door of my house. I couldn't do the walk up my street on my own. Also, for years as a kid when going to bed when the room was dark I'd always jump onto the bed from a few feet back so nothing underneath it could grab my leg on the way by.

So, the most scary flick I can remember seeing was Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It came out when I was in high school and scared the crap out of me. I don't think I've seen more than a few horror flicks since and that was about 30 years ago. Weird but stuff like Jaws, with animals etc., doesn't bother me much. Don't know why. But human blood, guts and demons who are gonna get ya do.

Posted By: snakeyes Re: Don't tell me... - 04/13/05 12:33 AM
Im not big on horror flicks and was not allowed to watch any when i was younger. speaking about having friends walking you home when i was i kid i would walk home from my buddies house and i had to go through this little stretch of woods and it never failed at night i would get half way through the wind would blow or some other noise i would freak out and run the rest of the way home. makes me laugh just thinking about it now.
Jake
Posted By: Seabear Re: Don't tell me... - 04/13/05 03:08 AM
"BTW- gonna watch the 'harold and kumar' movie tonight"

THAT is one funny Movie. I watched it three times in one weekend, and just about peed myself each time. Make sure and take note of the T-Shirt that Kumar is wearing.
And then check out the extras, and check out that shirt as well. I'm told that the studio just plain nixed the shirt he is wearing in the extras.

And, you know that "that Giamatti guy" is the son of the Former Commisioner of Baseball, right? I'm probably going to get shouted down on this one, but they should put up a statue of Bart Giamatti in Cooperstown before they let that
B%$^&#d Rose into the Hall of Fame.

And Jaws. Scared the CRAP out of me! Love that movie. No matter how late at night it is, if I pass that one while surfing the dial, I end up watching the whole thing. And I OWN the damn thing!
© Axiom Message Boards