Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Seabear OT- Deck Planning & Building Software - 04/16/05 12:19 PM
Morning All,
Thought I would post this question here because so many of you are so knowledgable in the software business.
(Not to mention building things!)
I did a quick google search for software for designing and building a deck.
Don't need help with the actual how's of building it, but I wanted a tool for laying it out and then coming up with a plan and a list of all of the boards needed.
There seems to be a pretty big slection of this kind of stuff out there.
Any opinions good or bad on any of them?
Thanks in advance.

Most lumber stores will provide this as a free service.

I guess I'm antiquated because with a few guidelines, a pad of paper and about an hour anyone should be able to come up with a design and a materials list.

It's not as exotic as staring at a 3D rendering but it's just as accurate and easily allows for you to overdesign the substructure.

You could try Smartdraw they have a free 30 day trial. http://www.smartdraw.com/specials/landscapedeck.asp?id=41521

Posted By: Seabear Re: OT- Deck Planning & Building Software - 04/17/05 12:25 PM
Yeah,
I saw the smartdraw one, and was going to download that and take a look later today.
I'm in your camp about the pad and pencil, but the one that I am going ot be getting started on has to fit around the back of the house, and is going to have quite a few turns and angles. So I was looking at it more for the lumber list that I was the actual design. In years past I would have been happy to end up with a pile of wood left over for benches and the like, but here we have nowhere for it, so I wanted to come as close as possible.
I'll take a look at the smartdraw.
Thanks,
Tom

Posted By: rcvecc Re: OT- Deck Planning & Building Software - 04/17/05 01:42 PM
hello seabear,if youre building a deck consider trex decking,or some other composite deck brand-no maintence- no splinters- less hastle-costs a little more,but its worth looking into.i personally dont have it,but will definetly use it when i am ready
© Axiom Message Boards