Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mikei Best Movies for My New HT - 06/06/05 02:25 AM
Hello,

What are some of the great movies to watch on my HT? I am into all types of movies.

Mike
Posted By: Ajax Re: Best Movies for My New HT - 06/06/05 02:37 AM
Monsters, Inc.
Finding Nemo
Open Range
Pirates of the Caribbean
Master and Commander

Others will add more.

Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Best Movies for My New HT - 06/06/05 02:59 AM
Fifth Element (Superbit)
Vampires (Superbit)
Independence Day (Superbit)
Terminator 3
Das Boot
U571

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Best Movies for My New HT - 06/06/05 03:03 AM
If you could somehow combine the sound of U-571 with the story of Das Boot, you would have THE best submarine movie of all time.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Best Movies for My New HT - 06/06/05 03:07 AM
I like "Saving Private Ryan" and any of the LOTR movies for a workout on the sub. Also, "Gladiator" offers a very nice and lush soundtrack. The fight scene with the tigers is unbelievable with a capable sub.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Best Movies for My New HT - 06/06/05 03:28 AM
There is a Dennis Quaid (spell?) movie "Frequency" that has some nice surround effects. Not much of a movie thought.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Best Movies for My New HT - 06/06/05 05:09 AM
In reply to:

Also, "Gladiator" offers a very nice and lush soundtrack.

And a furry sack full of homoeroticism!

"Hey Billy, you ever been in a Turkish prison camp? Seen a grown man naked? Do you like movies with a lot of gladiators in them?" (Captain Ouever, Airplane!)

Bren R.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Best Movies for My New HT - 06/06/05 05:15 AM
Speaking of movies... stay away from "The Final Cut" with Robin Williams... the premise seemed good, but terrible writing, unbelievable leaps of faith they expect the viewer to take and just sloppy writing really sunk it.

Bren R.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Best Movies for My New HT - 06/06/05 01:07 PM
Gotta agree, Bren. I'm not fond of posting negatives about anything, but other than Robin Williams performance, The Final Cut just had me shaking my head.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Best Movies for My New HT - 06/06/05 01:30 PM
If your into animated movies also, "The Incredibles" has some pretty nice sound's to liven up the sub.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Best Movies for My New HT - 06/06/05 01:50 PM
more great sounding movies(we all have our favorites)

any from the 'Matrix' series
any from the 'Band of Brothers' set
any from the 'Star Wars' series
Underworld
Van Helsing
Fight Club
Kill Bill, Vol 1 & 2
The Bourne Identity
I, Robot
The Others(creepy)
Eagles, Hell Freezes Over(DTS)

that should get you started!! i personally prefer movies that are in DTS. opinions vary, but i think it is the best sounding format on my HT. i ALWAYS look for DTS versions of movies before i buy.

bigjohn

Posted By: TNTguy Re: Best Movies for My New HT - 06/06/05 06:53 PM
Funny how your perspective changes. Before I get my HT system, when I would buy DVDs, and I would see a DD or DTS version it was all the same. Now, it is something to pay attention to.

Some of these aren't reference audio but usually still have some good stuff surround/LFE activity nonetheless.

Alien: CE
Aliens: CE
Superman: The movie
T2: extreme or ultimate edition
T3
any Pixar film
The Iron Giant: SE
X2
The Usual Suspects: SE
Braveheart
Jurrasic Park: DTS
Jurassic Park III
Twister
Jaws 30th anniversary edition
Men In Black
Spiderman 2
Indiana Jones trilogy
Close Encounters of the Third Kind: CE
Posted By: oz350z Re: Best Movies for My New HT - 06/06/05 08:25 PM
If your into a piece of rock and roll history and a great concert video try The Last Waltz the Band's farewell concert directed by Martin Scorcese (sp) . It's a must see and hear.
oz
Posted By: RickF Re: Best Movies for My New HT - 06/06/05 08:39 PM
In reply to:

If your into a piece of rock and roll history and a great concert video try The Last Waltz the Band's farewell concert directed by Martin Scorcese (sp) . It's a must see and hear.
oz

Just picked the DVD up a week or so ago, I haven't seen the Last Waltz since I first saw it at a Voice Of America compound in the backwoods of Greece way back in the late '70s.

I was just a kid then.

© Axiom Message Boards