Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Montclair Downside to owning Axiom's??? - 08/05/05 02:14 AM
I’ve been enjoying my Axiom speakers for 2 weeks now, but I think I’ve discovered the downside to owning Axiom's… They spoil your ears for all the mundane speakers in the world. Has anybody else had this happen?

I flew out of town this week on business and got the usual crappy GM rental car. I don’t remember those radios sounding quite so bad - incredibly bloated bass and muddy treble. It just makes me want to get home that much sooner to enjoy my Axioms. Got’ta dash, I’m headed there now for my recovery dose of music bliss.

Posted By: bray Re: Downside to owning Axiom's??? - 08/05/05 02:21 AM
Speaker snob.
Posted By: Montclair Re: Downside to owning Axiom's??? - 08/05/05 02:35 AM
Oooh ouch, I've been good naturedly maligned.

Actually, I never expected to be looking down on other speakers, but it was such a noticable difference. I'm not sure what to do. There are so many mundane speakers in my life... and my wallet says I can't replace all of them.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Downside to owning Axiom's??? - 08/05/05 03:05 AM
You'll get used to the car ones again after a while, so I wouldn't worry too much. Same thing happenned to me when I got my Axioms, but the car doesn't bother me anymore. It's like I have two different references, one just happens to be much better then the other.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Downside to owning Axiom's??? - 08/05/05 03:20 AM
I guess it depends on the car.......... I was out with my father in-law today driving around in his 2005 Avalon that has the JBL Synthesis system in it and dam, that thing pounds hard and sounds excellent!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Downside to owning Axiom's??? - 08/05/05 04:01 AM
For me it is two guys that work in my IT department that spent a couple grand on Bose cubes and a small sub. They sit over there and talk about how awesome their systems sound. I had to break the news to them, actually to their ears recently when they came over and listened to a real system

m60's 150 350 4-Qs8's
Denon 2805
Sanyo Z2 Projector
Panasonic S97S
2.35 52" x 122" DIY screen (currently being built)
Prismasonic Horizontal Anamorphic lens (to be ordered soon)

cheers
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Downside to owning Axiom's??? - 08/05/05 05:03 AM
That must have been ...amusing.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Downside to owning Axiom's??? - 08/05/05 05:04 AM
Fish in a rainbarrel. You start to feel guilty after a while...
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: Downside to owning Axiom's??? - 08/05/05 09:13 AM
nahhhh, not really.
Posted By: LT61 Re: Downside to owning Axiom's??? - 08/05/05 05:04 PM
Next time, rent a Ford........they have great o.e.m. sound systems.

THE only "downside" to the Axioms's is: all the new cds you will be buying, and buying, and buying.........
Posted By: Montclair Re: Downside to owning Axiom's??? - 08/05/05 07:32 PM
Owh, my sides hurt from laughing. Now that's a downside I can already appreciate!!! Our collection of DVD movies has been very rapidly expanding, and music is already showing signs of following after years with no purchases.

I never get to choose what I rent. They just give me the cheap corporate mid-size car that's available.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Downside to owning Axiom's??? - 08/07/05 11:17 PM
I still want Axioms for my car! Our, dare I say it, mini-van, has a nice hi-end Infinity 10 speaker system in it, which is MUCH nicer than my car, but even it sounds crappy compared to my Axioms.

Not that I want Axiom to spread out in to the world of car audio (they do in-house audio so well, spreading out could take away from what they do best), but I want that level of sound, but at a good price, just like their in house stuff!

Maybe I just need to break down and start doing upgrades there too.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Downside to owning Axiom's??? - 08/07/05 11:54 PM
The new built-ins are at least a step in the right direction...
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Downside to owning Axiom's??? - 08/08/05 02:04 AM
In reply to:

Our, dare I say it, mini-van, has a nice hi-end Infinity 10 speaker system in it

Chrysler? I have a ten-speaker Infinity in my Plymouth. It's better than most factory car stereos but I find it's bass heavy. Not deep bass heavy, just kinda mid and upper-bass heavy. (sigh).
Posted By: bridgman Re: Downside to owning Axiom's??? - 08/08/05 02:19 AM
>>Not deep bass heavy, just kinda mid and upper-bass heavy. (sigh).

Two words. Bass traps
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Downside to owning Axiom's??? - 08/08/05 06:15 PM
Hmmmmmm.......Returning to the original idea of this thread......

Downside of owning Axiom? Let's see.....what they are not.

They are not "Party" speakers with way too much driving bass. Folks who think "Stereo Speakers" should "sound" like stereo speakers COULD be disapointed.

In the HT mode they don't sound like the usual "Not so Well Designed and executed" movie theater that so many of us have to attend by default. In that reguard; Axiom based HT systems could sound "Not Right" to some.

On the other hand; Axiom speakers allow voices to sound like voices, instruments to sound like instruments and effects to sound "real"

This is NOT what some of our friends and family have come to expect from a quality sound system

© Axiom Message Boards