Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Samson Compression Artifact in LOTR:ROTK DTS? - 10/26/05 03:33 PM
A few weeks ago I was watching LOTR:ROTK (using the DTS mix) at near reference level on my system (M22, QS4, VP100 and SVS PB12-ISD)and was struck by how good the system sounded, except for one scene.

As Faramir rides across the plain with his men on a suicide mission to retake Osgilliath, the scene intercuts with Merry singing a soft, dirge-like song in the royal chamber. During the rendition of this song, I could clearly hear a very high-pitched noise coming from the VP-100 on top of the vocals - like a hissing shadow of his voice.

Because I did not hear this noise at any other point in the movie and I did not notice any of speakers exhibiting distortion during the movie, I assumed this was an unfortunate artifact of the DTS soundtrack.

Has anyone else noticed this artifact? If not, I'll assume I have golden ears and will therefore make it rich in the boutique speaker-wire marketing business.
Posted By: hashts Re: Compression Artifact in LOTR:ROTK DTS? - 10/26/05 05:58 PM
Hi Samson,

I'm just trying to recall this scene...I don't remember any hissing and his singing sounded nice. Hmmm I'll check it out when I get home tonight.

Pardon my ignorance but what sound or db is the reference level? Is it the ref level for DTS, receiver or speakers?
Posted By: Samson Re: Compression Artifact in LOTR:ROTK DTS? - 10/26/05 06:38 PM
hashts,

Reference level per volume control on my receiver (0.0 dB). This would be well over 85 dB measured (using pink noise) since I calibrated my system at that level and had the volume control at around -9.0 dB.
Have played that scene many times in DTS and at very loud levels and no hissing sound.

© Axiom Message Boards