Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SirClyde looking for mp3 player for X mas gifts - 11/25/05 06:09 PM
Hi all, I am looking for mp3 players for my 2 oldest kids. They want IPOD's. I don't know much about these things and wanted to know what to get. Ipod vs other brands. Which way would you go?
Thanks
Posted By: SirQuack Re: looking for mp3 player for X mas gifts - 11/25/05 08:40 PM
There are lots of good options, even if you don't go with Ipod. Personally, I don't like that you can't swap out the battery on the Ipod's when they die. You have to send them in to Apple and they charge you for a new battery. I am currently looking at the new Philips GoGear (6gb or 30gb) and also the new Creative Microphoto. They also have built in FM transmitters and view photos as well.

just my 2 cents..
Posted By: NEW2AXIOM Re: looking for mp3 player for X mas gifts - 11/25/05 10:19 PM
If the kids want ipods I would get them an ipod. The ipod is more then just an mp3 player with kids. Its "the thing to have", its cool and so on. A different mp3 player just wont cut it even though there pretty much the same thing. You know how kids are.

I just bought my girlfriend a 2GB Ipod Nano for 198.00 on amazon.com for christmas. She has been bugging me for a few month to get her one while I spent thousands on the HT! haha.
Posted By: dkfan Re: looking for mp3 player for X mas gifts - 11/25/05 11:52 PM
I think it would boil down to what all features you are looking for rather than just the brand. I personally would go for the iAudio X5 cuz id want a big HD plus option to record voice, FM, etc.

I'd suggest you to check the following link, which I think would be a nice place to start:

http://www.cnet.com/4520-11467_1-6371634-1.html?l=3

Also, please take a look at the following comparision on how they all stack up:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6450_7-6270692-1.html?tag=cnetfd.og

Cheers!
Depends on your budget and what the kids want. Agreed, the ipod is the "it" MP3 player, granted it's the more expensive one too. I've had about 5 or 6 different ones over the years and the iPod (for me) is the best one because of simplicity of syncing w/ your music library and buying new songs.

My next recommendation would be a Creative Labs MUVO. It's small and it's EASY to load songs. Bare bones though, and memory is much smaller. I saw one for 256MB and an FM tuner on Cambridge Soundworks website on Black Friday for $20. That's done but they have others. The Rio Carbon is well liked, but that company is now gone.
© Axiom Message Boards