Axiom Home Page
Posted By: GregM iPod to receiver - 12/05/05 04:15 AM
I know the AAC format isn't ideal for the sound quality my Axioms are capapble of producing, but it is so nice to have all my music in the palm of my hand. . .

I bought an adapter that goes from 1/8" jack to RCA and intend to plug my iPod into my receiver using this connection. My question is about what volume level to set my iPod to. When I used to have it wired into my truck's stereo, I left the iPod's volume at max and used the deck's volume knob for all volume control.

Anyone know if that is the best way to go with a receiver? I just want to make sure I am not sending in too much signal or whatever.

Greg
Posted By: simboticus Re: iPod to receiver - 12/05/05 05:05 AM
I've found it works best to max out the ipod volume.
Posted By: bray Re: iPod to receiver - 12/05/05 05:34 AM
However I did learn something new in the last week or so on one of the Mac forums.
You get a better signal if you use a dock.
When your iPod is connected via a dock or the bottom (multi pin connector) connection, the iPods volume control is disabled and so is the iPods equalizer f I remember right.
I dont remember all the technicals but I'll see if I can find the thread.
Also... when in "my" car I had to use about 50% volume when I was connected via iPods mini jack to avoid distortion on some music. Since I've read that thread I am now connected with one of these.
It has a mini jack on it so I can bypass the iPods mini jack and the sound is noticeably better.

Heres the link
Posted By: simboticus Re: iPod to receiver - 12/05/05 04:56 PM
The link you provided is for a power adapter, is there a different link for a signal cable?
Posted By: bray Re: iPod to receiver - 12/05/05 07:17 PM
It is a power adaptor and if you look really close it has a mini jack on it.
I use a tape adaptor that plugs into the mini jack on the car charger(power adaptor) which in turn is connected via multi pin (bottom of iPod).

BTW: You can find it for MUCH cheaper than listed.

Here is some chicken scratch to illustrate my connection.

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: iPod to receiver - 12/05/05 07:41 PM
Bray:
No offense, but your Photoshop skills have gone, like, way downhill Dude.
Posted By: bray Re: iPod to receiver - 12/05/05 07:43 PM
I knew you were going to say something.

Give me a break, I did it in about 30 seconds.
Posted By: alan Re: iPod to receiver - 12/05/05 10:56 PM
GregM,

When connecting any portable music device to a receiver or amplifier, it's generally a good idea to put the portable device's volume at about half or perhaps a bit more, then adjust the receiver volume to a comfortable level.

If you max out the volume of the iPod or portable, you run the risk of clipping the output signal. At the least, the output signal should be cleaner if you don't max it out. You also avoid clipping the preamp input section of your receiver or amplifier.

Regards,
Posted By: Ken.C Re: iPod to receiver - 12/05/05 11:09 PM
If you put an iPod's output to half, you won't hear anything. I generally run it at 80 or 90% when I'm using the headphone jack as a line out. However, at home, I use the dock. If you don't have one, grab the new universal dock. Find the codes somewhere online, throw 'em in your universal remote, and hey! Remote controlled iPod!
Posted By: bray Re: iPod to receiver - 12/05/05 11:14 PM
Ken
We're talking about when the iPod is connected in your car or to your home stereo, NOT with just headphones.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: iPod to receiver - 12/05/05 11:17 PM
That's what I'm talking about.
Posted By: bray Re: iPod to receiver - 12/05/05 11:20 PM
So when in your car you have to have the iPods volume set to 90% to hear anything?
I use to have set to 50% and just use the car stereos volume control to avoid any distortion.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: iPod to receiver - 12/05/05 11:41 PM
80% usually, yeah.

The shuffle is a different matter. But I do use it about 10 clicks above default volume in the car.
Posted By: bray Re: iPod to receiver - 12/06/05 12:36 AM
Hmmm?
That seems odd.

Posted By: NEW2AXIOM Re: iPod to receiver - 12/08/05 06:34 AM
Can someone give me a link with instructions on how to best connect an ipod to a reciever? I got my girlfriend a nano for christmas and it would be nice to play it over the Axiom system.
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: iPod to receiver - 12/08/05 06:54 AM
In reply to:

Can someone give me a link with instructions on how to best connect an ipod to a reciever? I got my girlfriend a nano for christmas

You asked for it! This link is for the Nano dock. Only $29. Then get a good 1/8" (3.5mm for the Canadians) stereo mini plug to 2 RCA female y-adapter like This. Plug the 1/8" side into the dock and run a pair of male-to-male RCA's to your receiver. Note: You certainly don't have to spend $47 on the interconnects. Just went to the nearest online store, so to speak.

Posted By: bugbitten Re: iPod to receiver - 12/08/05 04:14 PM
In reply to:

I got my girlfriend a nano for christmas

She might think you are proposing!

Noooo.

If you got her Axioms, then you'd be proposing!
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: iPod to receiver - 12/08/05 07:15 PM
NEW2 you still here? Did my post help?
Posted By: NEW2AXIOM Re: iPod to receiver - 12/08/05 08:46 PM
Thanks LightingJoe!! Yes it does help a great deal. I will let you know the results. Thanks again.
© Axiom Message Boards