Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Zarak Favorite Christmas song - 12/09/05 10:18 PM
Since it's that time of year...what is your favorite Christmas song?

Mine is Let it Snow, but I don't have a certain version picked out (since so many people redo all these songs).
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/09/05 10:33 PM
"I am Santa Claus" (sounds like Iron Man by Black Sabbath)
Just kidding. There are too many classics to pick just one.
Holly Cole has a great Christmas CD...

"Remember "I" before "E", except in Budweiser."
-- Professor Irwin Corey
Posted By: Ajax Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/09/05 11:13 PM
I'll be home for Christmas is my favorite, sung by just about anybody. However, Judy Garland's original version from the movie Meet Me In St. Louis is about as good as it gets. "Christmas" and "home" are so closely tied together, even if being "home" is "only in my dreams." Dorothy had it right when she said "There's no place like home! There's no place like home! There's no place like home!"

Regardless of our physical location, may we all be "home" for Christmas this year.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/09/05 11:13 PM
For me, Silent Night always signals the start of Christmastime. Haven't heard it yet this year...
Posted By: dllewel Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/09/05 11:17 PM
Off the top of my head (may change by tomorrow )

Bing Crosby's White Christmas,
Sleigh Ride (peppy instrumental version)
Nutcracker Suite
Posted By: Sutter Cane Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/09/05 11:29 PM
For me, one of my all time favs (and there's many) is "Oh Holy Night". Depending on who's singing it, it can knock ya off your feet.

Sutter
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/09/05 11:31 PM
I like Jack's post.

Also, I like the Trans-Siberian Orchestra stuff and the Vince Guaraldi Charlie Brown Christmas album, among others. It's hard to beat Ella Fitzgerald singing any standard, and the production on Natalie Cole's Holly and Ivy is simply wonderful.

Does anybody have feedback on the Diana Krall, Jethro Tull or Brian Setzer Christmas disks?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/09/05 11:35 PM
Happy Christmas (War Is Over) - John Lennon
Posted By: dllewel Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/09/05 11:37 PM
In reply to:

Does anybody have feedback on the Diana Krall, Jethro Tull or Brian Setzer Christmas disks?

The Brian Setzer version of the Nutcracker Suite is fun. Don't know about the other Christmas discs. But I agree, the Vince Girauldi's Charlie Brown Christmas album is by far a classic.
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/09/05 11:43 PM
Tom,
The Diana Krall cd is worth buying. If you want to hear selections from the cd just log onto amazon.com, search Diana Krall and choose her Christmas album. They have song bites you can listen to etc.
Cheers,
Shaun

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
-- H.L. Mencken
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/10/05 12:12 AM
"Gandma got run over by a reindeer."
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/10/05 12:13 AM
Not really!

I'd give another nod to Bing's "White Christmas".
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/10/05 01:09 AM
Santa Claus and his old Lady.

And the Bob and Doug McKenzie thing with with
5 golden toques
4 pounds of back bacon
3 french toasts
2 turtle necks
and a Beer

In a Tree
Posted By: Sutter Cane Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/10/05 01:21 AM
Tom, YES! The Bob and Doug McKenzie 12 Days of Christmas!!! That's got to be among the best. How could I forget that one.

Man I haven't heard that in a long time.

Sutter
Posted By: Wid Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/10/05 01:26 AM
I can't stand Christmas music, I do like Christmas so don't start with the Scroog stuff.
Posted By: SirClyde Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/10/05 01:28 AM
Looks like somebody is getting coal in their stocking this year. lol
Posted By: JohnK Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/10/05 04:47 AM
O Holy Night.
Posted By: SirClyde Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/10/05 05:15 AM
Xmas Xmas time is here by Alvin an the Chipmunks brings back fond childhood memories. Whenever I here this song I can remember the smell of the xmas lightbulbs melting the artificial xmas tree.
Here comes Santa Claus by Gene Autry reminds of a brief part of my life when I worked for him. I did not know til I worked for him that had wrote and or sang most of the original xmas songs.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/10/05 05:54 AM
Dominic the Italian Christmas Donkey

Makes me laugh and cringe at the same time.
Posted By: dllewel Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/10/05 06:14 AM
In reply to:

Tom, YES! The Bob and Doug McKenzie 12 Days of Christmas!!! That's got to be among the best. How could I forget that one.

Man I haven't heard that in a long time.

Here you go:

http://ravenmanor.com/scratch/12days.mp3
Posted By: Sutter Cane Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/10/05 01:53 PM
You da' man Dave, thanks buddy!

Sutter
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/10/05 02:04 PM
We had a choir at work for Christmas only; we used to practice for about a month before Christmas, once or twice a week during lunch.

We had about ten or twelve of the old standards, of which we finaly over the years of practice got fairly well presented.

Those were great times, those are great memories.
Posted By: Duane Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/10/05 06:15 PM
2000 Miles by the pretenders
Carol of the Bells by Trans Siberian Orchestra
Christmas all over again Tom Petty
Let it snow by Sinatra or Bing

Posted By: real80sman Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/10/05 07:21 PM
Elvis - If Every Day Was Like Christmas
Newsong - The Christmas Shoes
Porky Pig - Blue Christmas
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/10/05 11:17 PM
David! Thank you very much! I'm going to go out and put up Christmas lights right now. Good day, eh?
Posted By: DL30 Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/10/05 11:35 PM
The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole
O Holy Night - anyone
Silent Night - anyone
Christmas Waltz - Frank Sinatra
Baby it's Cold outside - Dean Martin
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/11/05 02:28 PM
it'd have to be "Christmas in the Trenches". I heard it for the first time this past Thurday night when the band played it at the pub. It's kind of embarrassing when you tear up in front of your wife and friends at the bar....
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/12/05 03:15 PM
Here's a stab at this...going from one extreme to the other...

Who remembers this one?

"I Want a Hippopatamus for Chrismas" - The Three Stooges
(although probably made more infamous by Gayle Perry).

Then there is the one by a female group (from the 80's, I think) "Christmas Wrapping" - The Waitresses.

Also, "Father Christmas" - The Kinks.

And to add a bit of Texas flair to this thread:

"Pretty Paper" - Willie Nelson...always a classic at our house...

I also have the Brian Setzer Christmas album...have to find it again and give it a critical listen...pretty fun though from what I can remember.

Best version of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" I've heard was by(strangely enough) Whoopie Goldberg and Harry Connick, Jr.

There is also a version of "The 12 Days of Christmas" that I heard on Doctor Demento a number of years ago..."Rigging up the lights..." with someone doing a bad Paul Linde impression as one of the days...

And who can forget the unforgettable "Chipmunks Roasting On An Open Fire"...

Okay, I'll stop.

WhatFurrer
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/12/05 04:39 PM
Should have been Gayla Peevey not Gayle Perry...

Hey...I was close

WhatFurrer
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/13/05 06:56 PM
i'm somewhat non-traditional, Mark made a good call - Happy Christmas War Is Over has got to be one of my favorites. Though I have found a special place in my heart for Eric Cartman's version of O Holy Night (with the cattle prod of course)!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/13/05 08:27 PM
In reply to:

Eric Cartman's version of O Holy Night (with the cattle prod of course)

My Christmas playlist in iTunes includes a liberal spattering of South Park music. That's one of my favorites. The falsetto bit and subsequent sputtering is awesome.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/13/05 11:39 PM
Ya know? I joke a lot about being an old guy, and having "senior moments." And, they are funny. But, there are times when they can be a bit scary, not to mention horribly embarrassing. Within the last hour I had a couple of them, which I won't expose. A guy can only stand so much humiliation.

However, I must own up to one I committed in this thread. I consider myself a VERY knowledgeable old movie and music buff. While hardly an expert, I know an awful lot about the movies and music of the 30s, 40s and 50s. With that in mind, you may recall, earlier in this thread, my waxing poetic about Judy Garland's marvelous version of I'll Be Home For Christmas from the classic movie Meet Me In St. Louis.

The only problem is, Judy Garland didn't sing I'll Be Home For Christmas in Meet Me In St. Louis. She has probably sung that song countless times, but NOT in that movie. What she sang was Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, another of my favorites, and she did it beautifully. She sings it wistfully, almost sadly, and it is quite touching. The song has a couple of my favorite lines from any Christmas song - "...faithful friends who are dear to us, gather near to us, once more," and "Through the years we all may be together, if the fates allow, until then we'll have to muddle through, somehow."

Anyway, I know better, and I'm am embarrassed to have made such an error. I offer my humble apologies, and am sufficiently contrite.
Posted By: Duane Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/13/05 11:44 PM
Jack I do beleive that was far to serious an apology. Any thread involving the McKenzie brothers and South park is sure to forgive you for mixing up songs in a movie from before I was born. (had to get that old guy rib in there somewhere )
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/13/05 11:57 PM
Duane:
No offense, but you're new here and don't know the rules.

Jack, as per those rules, (505-e paragraph 4) a reference to music within a movie made in error means you must forfeit your newest piece of HT equipment to the person that cites the correct reference in "The Axiom Forums Rules of Engagement". If the rules don't sound familiar, it's because you simply don't remember them.

I'll PM you my address. Did you save the shipping box?
Posted By: Ajax Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/14/05 12:16 AM
Rotsa Ruck!
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/14/05 12:19 AM
Damn sea-lawyer! I had my eye on that!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/14/05 12:24 AM
Mark, you should know better.

Subsection 517, paragraph 8 clearly states that anyone trying to enforce 505-e-4 that has not, in fact, cited the correct reference in the same thread is subject to forfeiture of his most recent purchase. Since Judy never sang "I'll be home for Christmas" in a movie, I think you're in big trouble here.

I'll PM you my address for the BFD.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/14/05 12:32 AM
'Ya might as well take it... it's not doing me any good.

>my room sucks<

Posted By: snakeyes Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/14/05 01:39 AM
Mark i think it is clear that you should ad in all caps and bold MY ROOM SUCKS to your signature. sorry lol
Posted By: littleb Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/14/05 02:24 AM
Mark,

I concur with John Lennon's Happy Xmas(War is Over). Have you heard Neil Diamond's version he did for a special a few years ago. He performed with a choir of young people. I thought it was awesome. I would like to add a few.

1. All I want for Christmas
2. The Little Drummer Boy
3. Run, Run Rudolph by Chuck Berry

and of course, my wife's favorite, since she let me order the HSU VTF3 is Grandma got run over by a Reindeer.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/14/05 02:27 AM
In reply to:

i think it is clear that you should ad in all caps and bold MY ROOM SUCKS to your signature.

Jacob:
Now, that would just be silly.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/14/05 02:29 AM
lol. also after having a couple of people refer to me as Jacob im going to change my profile to Jake because it feels like my mother logged on everytime i read it lol
Posted By: Ajax Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/14/05 03:18 AM
In reply to:

Jack I do believe that was far to serious an apology.

I suppose it did seem like excessive self flagellation. But, I do take pride in the body of knowledge of movies and music of the era I possess (unimportant and irrelevant as that body may be). And to make a mistake that blatant is, in my eyes, unforgivable, and one which only a few years ago, I would NOT have made. AAARRRGGHHH!
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: Favorite Christmas song - 12/14/05 08:28 PM
Big fan of Sinatra's Christmas Waltz, Ray Charles' Winter Wonderland (also love that song that he did which was in Chrsitmas Vacation) and Bing Crosby's Merry Christmas to You(Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire).
© Axiom Message Boards