Axiom Home Page
Posted By: bigwill2 SC got hosed! - 01/05/06 05:56 AM
What is the point in replay officials who ignore video evidence?
Posted By: JohnK Re: SC got hosed! - 01/05/06 08:57 AM
As a Michigan graduate I'm inclined to agree, Mark, but is it possible for a Bruin man to not enjoy seeing the Trojans get screwed?
Posted By: cgolf Re: SC got hosed! - 01/05/06 11:22 AM
Definitely some bad or questionable calls but they did challange and review quite a few times so hey--GO HORNS!!!!!!!

Posted By: jinhan Re: SC got hosed! - 01/05/06 01:03 PM
The officials missed calls on both sides, but I do agree that USC got the short end of the stick. That Vince Young lateral should have been a replay, but I think I remember hearing that they were having trouble with the video.

However, I don't think the officials are completely to blame for the loss. Reggie Bush's attempted lateral was a bonehead move. And Vince Young was unstoppable; his numbers were unbelievable.

It was an exciting game and lived up to the hype.

Posted By: jinhan Re: SC got hosed! - 01/05/06 01:44 PM
By the way, did anybody agree with Pete Carroll going for it on 4th down in their last drive?
Posted By: littleb Re: SC got hosed! - 01/05/06 01:52 PM
Relax, it's just a game.
Posted By: jinhan Re: SC got hosed! - 01/05/06 02:58 PM
I am relaxed...

I'm just passionate about football, just as I am with HT.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: SC got hosed! - 01/05/06 04:46 PM
As I watched this game last night I noticed that my center channel amp was not running. When the commercials started up the center channel kicked in. The game itself was on phantom center. I was watching HD on a OTA antenna. The Denon indicated 5.1 input signal. Anybody else have this occurance?
Posted By: bugbitten Re: SC got hosed! - 01/05/06 04:48 PM
It was a great game to watch HD on my new Sony 50 SXRD!
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: SC got hosed! - 01/05/06 05:54 PM
As far as going for it on 4th and 2: If you were PC and had been watching UT march up and down the field on you all day would you have more confidence in your offense or defense? The call took balls but if they make it the game is over. If they punt and UT gets the ball at the 20 that's only another 20 yards UT would have to go to score.
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: SC got hosed! - 01/06/06 06:02 AM
I'm a big Bruin fan, John, but I do like to see the local teams have success. Those are our boys, y'know?

Texas certainly didn't "outphysical" SC - as many suspected. I don't think they had any kind of running game. Vince Young was their entire offense. I wonder what they'll do without Superman next year. May have to actually implement and execute an actual offensive system.

4th down call was correct, but maybe they should have rolled Leinart?

Bush's lateral, Leinert's f***ed up sneak at the 12 and his interception on the goal line - all in the first half - certainly didn't help them either.
Posted By: player8 Re: SC got hosed! - 01/06/06 07:14 PM
I blame Bush, Leinart's pick wasn't a terrible decision but Bush's lateral/fumble was a "STUPID" mistake. I think that changed the whole complexion of the game. Had that not happened, USC would have gone up another TD and probably stayed on that roll. I'm sure Texas would of made it interesting, but SC allowed Texas to get back into the game too quickly.
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: SC got hosed! - 01/06/06 10:48 PM
You're right, that play by Bush was moronic, but Leinart had a shitty first half, too. He looked much, much better last year.
Posted By: craigsub Re: SC got hosed! - 01/07/06 02:38 AM
Keep in mind that the Rose Bowl is also a home game for USC. A National Championship should be played on a neutral site, but that is not going to happen. If you are a Northeast or Midwest team, you play an "away" game in the bowls. West Virginia and Penn State had the same issue.

We need some Northern Bowls. Football in the snow on January 1 would be great !
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: SC got hosed! - 01/07/06 03:54 AM
Knowing what a stickler you are for accuracy, craig, I will respond.

UCLA plays their home games at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. SC plays at the Colliseum down in the hood. Big difference.
At the Rose Bowl you pay to park on a golf course and tailgate in a beautiful canyon (Arroyo Seco?). At the colliseum you pay gangbangers whatever amount they choose to park in deserted lots that they don't own. Of course, by their standards that is relatively benign free enterprise.

Funniest thing in the world to see those rich SC fans sitting behind their Caddies sipping chardonnay in sweaters and slacks; dirt, weeds, chainlink and graffitti all around. They never appear entirely comfortable.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: SC got hosed! - 01/07/06 03:57 AM
Well if you watched the IOWA game, the officials were terrible, in my opinion they lost the game for the Hawkeyes. Funny thing, after the game the officials admitted they screwed up.

Heck, I'm not even a Hawkeye fan and I felt bad for those kids...
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: SC got hosed! - 01/07/06 06:21 AM
Hey! this ain't the "Iowa got hosed" thread! Start your own.

I forget who Iowa played, but I had the other team. Iowa wasn't very good this year, huh?
Posted By: craigsub Re: SC got hosed! - 01/07/06 01:44 PM
Bigwill ...

Playing a bowl game in one's home town makes it a home game. It is a big advantage. When UCLA and USC play, it is common for the announcers to call the site neutral, regardless which stadium is being uses.

Move that game to Houston, and Texas wins 56-35.

And I know you were just trying to be helpful, like when you called John Kerry a scumbag, but you may rest assured I know which stadium each team plays in.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: SC got hosed! - 01/07/06 06:53 PM
In reply to:

I blame Bush

me to he's from texas so he probably used his presidential influence on the refs. lol
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: SC got hosed! - 01/08/06 06:29 AM
From what I saw and heard on TV, it seems like the crowd was pretty evenly split. I wasn't there so I can't be sure, but it seemed pretty darn loud regardless of who had the ball.

I think the oddsmakers were correct in making SC 2 to 1 favorites. They squandered many scoring opportunities in the 1st half.
Posted By: craigsub Re: SC got hosed! - 01/08/06 02:52 PM
Texas 41. USC 38.

Just in case anyone forgot, Texas scored more points. This means they won.

ps ... as a lifetime Penn State Fan, I was hoping they would go to 12 overtimes, both teams stop from exhaustion, and both get credited with losses, making the Lions #1.

In other words, I did not care who won....

Here are some numbers ...

Penalties - USC 5 for 30 yards. Texas 4 for 34 yards
Fumbles - USC 1 Fumble, 1 lost. Texas 4 fumbles, 1 lost
Interceptions - USC 1, Texas 0
Total Yards - USC 595, Texas 583

Plays of the game ?

The Texas interception for a touchback in the 2nd quarter. WHAT a play !

The Texas fumble leading to USC's first touchdown (amazing how everyone ignores that).

The Reggie Bush lateral.

And Vince Young. Let's call it 30 plays.

The best part of the game ? The class of the 2 coaches. Pete Carroll, in defeat, was terrific. Mack Brown was gracious.

This was one of the best games in history.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: SC got hosed! - 01/08/06 07:43 PM
It was a great game regardless of who won. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the facemask call against USC that gave Texas that late 4th quarter first down. That seemed to take the wind out of USC's defense.
© Axiom Message Boards