Axiom Home Page
Posted By: LightninJoe Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/26/06 06:42 AM
Get your $449 power cable here. Guaranteed to extend your soundstage out to your neigbor's house and to make your system sound as creamy as the skin of virgin goddess.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/26/06 06:43 AM
But you've never heard it. How can you say that it doesn't work simply by invoking the laws of physics and employing simple logic?
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/26/06 06:51 AM
In reply to:

But you've never heard it. How can you say that it doesn't work simply by invoking the laws of physics and employing simple logic?

Because I'm always right. As far as I know.

Posted By: JohnK Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/26/06 07:26 AM
Yeah, Mark, but look at that tempting length discount; if you need 2 meters it's only $549. These things fall into the "sucker born every minute" category. Power cords that, for example, have no problem with 1500 watts or so for a hair dryer running at full blast nevertheless "choke" far lower power to audio equipment.

Ken was of course poking fun at the line of some audiophiles that not only should you "trust your ears", it's mandatory that you try it and do so if you expect them to pay any attention; mere decades of well-established audio principles can be dismissed. One problem is that when the only situation that allows actually trusting only the ears, i.e. a blind listening test, is proposed or discussed, they have about as much enthusiasm for it as a vampire for sunlight.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/26/06 07:32 AM
It's all about that last 6 feet though... 14ga romex is good enough to carry a full 15 amps TO the outlet, but you'd better have something expensive between the wall and receiver.

Bren R.
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/26/06 04:51 PM
Joe - your bias is obvious and apparent. So much so that you failed to mention the fantastic deal being offered, for a limited time only...

In reply to:

From audioadvisor.com:

Order any in-stock Statement Power Cable at the regular price. Listen and compare to your old power cable for up to 30 days. Then call us for a Return Authorization Number (RA#) for your old cable. Send us your old cable with the RA# clearly marked on the outside of the box. We'll credit your card for 50% of your original purchase price.

Your Savings:
Statement 1.0M, regular $449.00; discount: $224.50, final cost $224.50
Statement 1.5M, regular $499.00; discount: $249.50, final cost $249.50
Statement 2.0M, regular $549.00; discount: $274.50, final cost $274.50
Statement 3.0M, regular $689.00; discount: $344.50, final cost $344.50

With savings like this, yuo can afford to upgrade all the plugs in your house. No more wimpy, underpowered toasters without a sufficiently high crumb to noise floor ratio.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/26/06 05:16 PM
I'm in the process of changing all my wall outlets to these.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=PSAPP&product_name=Power%20Port%20Premium%20AC%20Wall%20Receptacle
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/26/06 05:19 PM
Link
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/26/06 05:30 PM
Does that come in a GFI version? I need one for my bathroom since my hair dryer had been leaving my hair dull and lifeless recently. Could be the weather, but it's more likely the cheap outlet.
Posted By: BruceH Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/26/06 07:42 PM
Really, I don't know how many posts you have accumulated simply fixing other people's html links LOL .
Posted By: BruceH Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/26/06 07:51 PM
Somebody had to make that up as a joke, right? That is not real is it? That is on par with holding your breath to achieve a more accurate sound reception by not disturbing the audio transmission before they reach your ears. How about replacing all the Nitrogen in your room with Helium so that music has a quicker response not having to move all those heavier molecules. Sheesh!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/26/06 10:04 PM
No, people actually buy and swear by these things. No joke. I'm sure someone will pop along shortly to tell us we're all soulless brain trusts or something like.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/27/06 06:35 AM
And I honestly want to slap whoever created these plugs with a trout until dead.

Orange triangle - isolated ground. This is a specific marking for installations with, oh, ISOLATED GROUNDS... chances of one of those going into an application where there is an isolated ground? Slightly less than me having a foursome with both Olsen twins AND Dave Coulier.

Bren R.
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/27/06 06:02 PM
LOL to all replies. I'm having an electrician over to replace all of the 60-year-old wiring in my house so I don't feel like an idiot with my $$$ power cables. I think it will only cost about 10K for the project, so the $449 won't seem like much. I wonder if PP&L will run a new cable directly from their nearest substation to my house so I can have the cleanest power around. Nah, the heck with that. I think I'll build my own dam and hydroelectric station on the Columbia River, it's only a mile from here. That way I can control the whole path.
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/27/06 06:09 PM
Not to mention all of the concern on the website about how tight the connections to the outlet are. Are we really that worried that our plugs are just going to fall out of the wall? I've personally never had it happen - but I don't live that close to Pompei or the San Andreas fault. If your plugs are falling out of the socket, you've got bigger problems that whether your electrical signal patsh are squeaky clean ...

Posted By: LightninJoe Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/27/06 06:19 PM
No problem here. I'm going to solder my brand new 14ga house wiring right to the plug. That f#cker won't be going anywhere. No, that's not good enough. I'm going to WELD those suckers together.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/27/06 06:23 PM
Forget the welding. Just have your electrician run a separate length of cable straight from the panel jam it directly into the back of your speakers. That way you leave any negative signature that speakers cables, amps, and sources might contribute totally out of the loop.
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/27/06 07:49 PM
Ya know, I'm really worried that the speakers themselves might degrade the quality. I'm going to have him jam those wires directly into my ears. I will now have clean power directly from my personal hydroelectric plant straight into my head.
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/27/06 07:53 PM
I'll answer the question before you ask: Of course this makes sense. It's all about having the PERFECT SYSTEM. Actually listening to music is purely incidental.
Posted By: Wid Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/27/06 07:54 PM
Then your screen name would most certainly apply

Posted By: LightninJoe Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/27/06 09:13 PM
In reply to:

Then your screen name would most certainly apply

Posted By: JohnK Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/28/06 04:29 AM
Lots of good suggestions, but also consider the no power cord alternative. The speakers "disappear".
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/29/06 12:57 AM
Peter,
you almost got me to spit coffee on my screen but i resisted. then Marks response opened the gates. lmfao
Posted By: RickF Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/29/06 01:54 AM
>>> Lots of good suggestions, but also consider the no power cord alternative. The speakers "disappear". <<<

Great suggestion John, I'd be willing to bet that this theory will also eliminate issues with ground hum. Knocking down two birds with one stone, awesome.
Posted By: Tharkun Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/30/06 04:37 PM
Actually the Wattgate receptacle is reported as the best, I may need to order a pair for the new rack installation that I will be starting in the next week or so.

Wattgate WG-381
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/30/06 04:44 PM
Ah man, now I'll have to upgrade again
Posted By: BruceH Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/30/06 04:50 PM
In reply to:

Actually the Wattgate receptacle is reported as the best, I may need to order a pair for the new rack installation that I will be starting in the next week or so.

I really have to wonder what a client would think of me if I ever specified these for a commercial project. That would be quite some contingency left over in the budget after "down-grading" to regular hospital-grade receptacles.
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/30/06 05:46 PM
If I ever spend $147 US on a power outlet I give anyone here permission to just shoot me in the head and put me out of my misery.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/30/06 06:25 PM
I'll make sure to use a gold-plated bullet if the need should ever arise.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/30/06 06:44 PM
Solid core platinum is better.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/30/06 07:00 PM
Hey, I can melt down my wedding ring for it!
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/30/06 09:31 PM
If you think these are snake oil, check out this. Stick it anywhere in the room, nay, the building, and enjoy better sound, whether you know it's there or not!

On a headphone forum I frequent there were actually a couple people sticking up for this thing.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/30/06 09:53 PM
All I can say is Unbelievable!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/30/06 10:32 PM
And all I can say is: People are stupid.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/31/06 03:49 AM
Priceless, Adam!
Posted By: RickF Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/31/06 04:02 AM
Unreal.

Can you imagine trying to have a normal conversation with some of these folks who actually believe in this voodoo? Makes you wonder what else rattles around in those craniums.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/31/06 04:15 AM
Just awful.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/31/06 04:18 AM
No question;...our young Ms Bright, as referenced, had made a trip with the clock to "Elsewhere" and back!

We gotta be talkin' velocity and distance time cones here for sure! Perhaps they made it work!!
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/31/06 08:00 AM
I submit this and this.
Posted By: nitram Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/31/06 09:10 AM
Wow, that Machina Dynamica is hilarious. I hope that "Brillian Pebbles" and "Clever Little Clock" is tongue-in-cheek. If not, I'd love to meet someone stupid enough to send this guy money, and offer him/her an upgrade. My upgrade would cost only $999, far more than the piddly $199 they paid for the original; hence mine must be better.

From this guy's web site:
In reply to:

Summary
The Intelligent Chip works quantum mechanically, via coherent quantum superposition and quantum entanglement. Two coherent light sources (the CD player laser and the Q-dots in the Chip) interact strongly with the atoms in the CD's polycarbonate layer to produce long-lasting, superior optical transparency, thus better optical signal to noise ratio (OSNR) during the laser-reading process for better sound.

CD laser light escapes the player through a number of small holes, unused input/output jacks and narrow gaps in the player case. The emitted light from the quantum dot arrays in the Chip combines with the CD laser light in the room and inside the player; the commingled light interacts with the CD's polycarbonate material, improving its optical characteristics. The new Intelligent Box, with quantum material and light source inside the box, lends credence to this Definitive Explanation of How the Intelligent Chip Works.

Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/31/06 12:02 PM
Thanks, lightninJoe for "this" no. 2!!

It perfectly fits into why I figure some folks who have spent a megaton of bucks on a super-duper sound system to bring the concert into their home and find, of course, that they can't; keep their pocketbooks open for any sincere sounding charlatan who comes along with dollar signs in their eyes.

Can't do it!! The concert won't show up, just a pretty good representation of the sound!

Can NOT be done!!....only way to bring the sound of an real full blown orchestra into the livingroom is to bring a real full blown orchestra into a VERY LARGE livingroom!

Same with a bistro; change the instruments and performers, and the size of the room, add the crowd and ya got it!

So wattaya gonna do when you've spent all those bucks, and the band ain't really there??

Spend more bucks, of course!!

Can't stop now, got too much invested!!

Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/31/06 12:35 PM
Luv'd the "Summary", nitram.

I suspect that Heisenberg and I are BOTH uncertain of THESE principles!!

Posted By: LightninJoe Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 01/31/06 05:22 PM
Heehee. Planck would be constantly amused.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 02/01/06 03:53 AM
Planck would also be delighted that the Good Guys almost constant-ly win in "Star Wars" cuz the "Force" gave them his most famoustes formula!

May the Force be with Y'all!
Rich.

Posted By: prototype3a Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 09/16/10 10:05 PM
I recently found out that my sister's boyfriend uses THESE in his home theater. I LOL'd so hard I nearly fell out of my chair. I also found out that he has ~$20k in AudioQuest cables.

Talk about drinking the koolaid.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 09/16/10 10:26 PM
I like some of the reviews for them.
Posted By: fredk Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 09/16/10 11:37 PM
Hilarious!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 09/16/10 11:41 PM
I wish I had 20K to waste on speaker cable...
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 09/16/10 11:45 PM
ummm, if any of you have the need to throw away 20K, could you please throw it in my direction.

Thanks
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Snake Oil Product of the Week. - 09/16/10 11:54 PM
Yeah, the reviews for those outlets are hilarious!
© Axiom Message Boards