Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pmbuko Prince: what a jerk - 02/10/06 12:33 AM
This is old footage, but still. Kinda funny, though. Footage from George Harrison's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nOtQzPCqvE
Posted By: Ajax Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/10/06 12:52 AM
Spiff is gonna be mad at you!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/10/06 01:36 AM
I agree, talk about a ball hog.
Posted By: warfer21 Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/10/06 01:45 AM
I'm not a huge prince fan, but I thought that solo did the song justice.
I believe during a solo you grab the spotlight
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/10/06 02:20 AM
Yeah, but a solo isn't supposed to last through the remaining choruses and finish off the song.
Posted By: warfer21 Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/10/06 03:15 AM
I had to watch it again to see if i was missing something.... nope just a great ending to a great song.
Tom Petty and the boys were enjoying the solo as much as the crowd, and the chorus at the 'end' of the song was where it should be in this case.... in the background.

Again i'm not a big fan, but I thought he did a helluva job. Emotional riffs for a song with alot of emotion in it.
Nice sound coming from that old fender strat.

But what? where? did his guitar just dissappear at the end?
Maybe he's a jerk for guitar neglect?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/10/06 03:26 AM
Actually, to me it appeared that the others were starting to get pissed near the end. I'm really not sure why Prince would be involved anyway, his presence was a little out of place for the era of the song and the other members. "Lets Go Crazy"
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/10/06 03:55 AM
The song is called "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" -- not "While My Guitar Drowns Out the Rest of the Band"
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/10/06 04:04 AM
To bad George Lynch wasn't there to show that wimpy guitar playing fool how to put the Axe down on those strings. In addition to kicking 100% of his a$$.
Posted By: warfer21 Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/10/06 04:20 AM
Amen to furious george!
Posted By: bridgman Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/10/06 05:09 AM
That is just *not* a good viewing experience on dial-up
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/10/06 10:16 AM
You know, even though the solo was... excessive (to say the least), I had no idea Prince could play like that. Pretty impressive, actually.
Posted By: biggsly5000 Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/10/06 03:48 PM
That was ridiculous, talk about ruining the feeling of a song. Prince is an idiot.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/10/06 04:32 PM
Yeah, I was waiting for the guitar to come crashing down on the stage..
Posted By: mwc Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/10/06 04:49 PM
But surely there was at least some prep and rehersal for that performance. I would think that they all knew what to expect from the Princester if there had been some rehersal. I mean, surely he didn't just jump up there and take over......yes/maybe?. Sometimes it seemed that Prince was looking for cues from some of the others as to when to end.

I've never been a Prince fan but I was surprised at how good of a guitarist he is.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/10/06 05:22 PM
He wasn't really playing, it was recorded, ha ha
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/10/06 05:23 PM
What can I say?

I liked it and I'm not a big Price fan. I watched the clip and then played it again without watching. I thought Prince brought life to what was appearing to be a very boring redition of a George Harrison classic.

The fact that he appeared to "hog" the stage can also be attributed to the camera shots the director choose.

I think George would have liked it.

What the hell it's only Rock 'n Roll.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/10/06 06:09 PM
I do agree that he's a very talented guitarist, and it looked as if George's son, at least, was enjoying Prince's performance. I can't say the same for Tom Petty. But he might be too old to appreciate the drama.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/10/06 06:24 PM
Humourously enough, that fits pretty closely into two of my preconceived notions about any guitarist... they're "guitarded" and are bound to reality by only six strings.

I recognize the younger Harrison, and Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne inducted George, so they were there... but through the video compression I can't tell if Bob Dylan was there?

Anyway of all the people on that stage, the only other person that was inducted into the R&RHOF that year WAS Prince... so if he's taking the spotlight, let him go.

2004 Inductees : Prince, ZZ Top, George Harrison, Jackson Browne, Traffic, Bob Seger, the Dells.

Looked like a pretty slow year in inductees.

Bren R.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/10/06 07:08 PM
Thanks for the background story. Now I forgive him. He was just releasing some pressure that the Rock and Roll woody was causing in his tight pants.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/10/06 11:19 PM
I don't own a single Prince album, but the guy can write... writes pretty much everything for other artists that Jim Steinman doesn't... plus all the soundtrack stuff he does... AND it turns out he can, er... "shred"

Funny though how the little purple guy gets sh*t on for doing what the wheedlers (yes, I'm looking in your direction Yngwie, SRV, Eddie Van et al) get raves for doing.

Bren R.
Posted By: oz350z Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/11/06 12:14 AM
Prince was on SNL this past week. May have been a rerun, I'm not sure. While I have liked some of his stuff on and off through the years, generally his material does not appeal to me. But I can not deny that he is an awesome guitar player. And he makes it look so easy. None of this grimacing and body contortions that make it look more difficult than it is. I think he is a great guitar player.
I'm not gonna remark on the guy's ego though.
oz
Posted By: RickF Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/11/06 12:35 AM
Whenever I first read this post and watched the video my first thought was 'Damn, I didn't know that guy could play like that', my second thought was 'Where in the heck did that thing land' and my third thought was that I just couldn't see the issue here. What was that song, 'Video Killed the Radio Star'?

I'm not a huge Prince fan but I do enjoy listening to most of his tunes and to me his playing here sounds pretty darn good.
Posted By: warfer21 Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/11/06 01:11 AM
IF you like guitar music.....

plenty of guitar music

plenty of "guitards" here

Posted By: warfer21 Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/11/06 03:20 AM
and for instrumental guitarding

here
Posted By: BrenR Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/11/06 06:50 AM
Well, I do like one band of Guitar Rock. Surf's up.

Bren R.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/11/06 09:00 AM
Well Peter, you seem to be in the minority on this one.

Prince is about the music. What better compliment to Mr. Harrison could he give than to play his heart out on one of his songs. I say it was a great tribute.

Thank you for the link btw...I'd never seen that.

Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/11/06 12:35 PM
Well Bren, thanx a bunch!

That little walk down memory lane with the "Ventures" is gonna cost me a few bucks for some new CDs.

That's OK though.Need to replace some lost vinyl!!

I thought Mick at the Super Bowl was goin' strong, but the Ventures are still on tour and they were born in 36, and 33!!

Fun website; thanx for the link!!
Rich.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/11/06 02:52 PM

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/11/06 02:58 PM
Hey look! It's the proud dad of those guys in the Ventures!

(running....ducking....)
Posted By: Ajax Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/11/06 03:04 PM

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/11/06 04:00 PM
LOL!

Mark--very funny.

Jack--I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you. I hope.
Posted By: bray Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/11/06 04:31 PM
Not me Jack.
I'm laughing AT you.
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/11/06 05:12 PM
In reply to:

... had no idea Prince could play like that.

He's a darn good basketball player too... or so I've been told

Posted By: RickF Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/11/06 05:26 PM
So Jaime are you telling us that whenever Prince drives over to the courts on Alphabet street in his little red Corvette and starts playing basketball he parties like it's 1999 while wearing his raspberry beret, diamonds and pearls and singing 'Let's Go Crazy' in the purple rain?

I know .... that was bad, really bad.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/11/06 07:17 PM
In reply to:

That little walk down memory lane with the "Ventures" is gonna cost me a few bucks for some new CDs.

Glad I can be of assistance.

Bren R.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/11/06 09:09 PM
that's not bad it's horrible

but speaking of Surf.... I have to mention Dick Dale
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/13/06 02:20 AM
JaimeG must watch the Chappelle Show.
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/13/06 05:42 PM
I thought Prince's solo rocked! He really hit the banger notes and made the guitar wail! (maybe past weeping by a bit). But any song that actually references, as its chorus, a guitar solo deserves to get shredded on, which is exactly what Prince just did.

Contrary to some of the opinions above, it appeared appropriate and even as if he was searching for a way out of the solo, but the song kept going or nobody else picked up the solo. For that song to end without a solo goign on would have been a poor showing.

If that were Clapton or Page, all the critics would be singing a different tune. And you haev to give Prince props for showign hsi dexterity on the git-box...
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Prince: what a jerk - 02/13/06 10:11 PM
The Ventures' Don Wilson is from Tacoma, and he met Bob Bogle in Seattle. This area has been influential in popular music for a very long time, including progenitors of Louie Louie, The Fabulous Wailers.
© Axiom Message Boards