Axiom Home Page
Posted By: sonicfox Strangest movie - 03/07/06 06:41 PM
Since I'm a strange person, I love strange and freaky movies. So tell me...what's the strangest, most twisted movie you've ever seen? On Showtime, they show a lot of these Japanese horror flicks, and I find them very entertaining! One of the wackiest that I've seen (only parts of) was "Female Trouble" with Divine.
Posted By: EddyZ Re: Strangest movie - 03/07/06 07:10 PM
The strangest movie I've ever seen had to be "Eraserhead".....still am not sure what I watched!
Posted By: James_T Re: Strangest movie - 03/07/06 07:27 PM
You might want to check out Donny Darko. It's rather ... odd.
I recall finishing the movie and saying "WTF!?".

Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Strangest movie - 03/07/06 07:32 PM
Brazil by Terry Gilliam is a little mainstream and a little strange, I love it. Feel the same about Zardoz, Blow Up and If . Especially If.

For someone who loathes anything with subtitles I found myself immersed in Ringu, the original version of the ring.

I'm sure I'll be able to think of a few dozen more to add.

Oh yes, The Wicker Man .
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Strangest movie - 03/07/06 07:39 PM
Any Pedro Almodovar movie
They are really good tho...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000264/
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Strangest movie - 03/07/06 07:59 PM
If you want to watch one of the most sappy, wierd, old horror movies out there. Look no further than...

"Don't look in the basement"

One word to describe that movie.

Wow.

Not scary at all, but certainly weird.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Strangest movie - 03/07/06 08:00 PM
I think the movie Saw would have to be close to the top of my list. Gives me shivers just thinking about it.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Strangest movie - 03/07/06 08:03 PM
Another vote for Eraserhead.

For more mainstream but still a bit jarring:
- The Crow
- Pink Floyd's The Wall
- A Clockwork Orange
- Rocky Horror Picture Show
- Fight Club
- Blue Velvet (another Lynch - I've seen it only in parts and/or intoxicated, though)

Bren R.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Strangest movie - 03/07/06 08:12 PM
I've heard of "Eraserhead" several times, but have never seen it yet. I think this is now a "must see" on my list. Oh...and "Saw"...I love that movie! I just bought "Saw II", and I'm looking forward to it watching it this weekend. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Posted By: michael_d Re: Strangest movie - 03/07/06 09:18 PM
I can (and do) sit through just about any horror / sick / twisted movie there is without a twinge. I guess I’m a bit demented in that regard.

So far the movies that have given me the creeps were the original Texas chainsaw massacre and the exorcist. I can sit through them both now (but not comfortably), but twenty some odd years ago, they hit me hard. I had to leave the movie theater twenty minutes into the exorcist and had nightmares for months.

Then there was Jaws……..I was about 7 years old and a lady behind me kept screaming. My mom couldn’t get me to take a bath after that for weeks. I wouldn’t even play in the irrigation ditches after that one (and what kid doesn’t’ do that in 100 deg Nevada weather).

House of wax was just gross.

The original Snuff was sick as hell. Not knowing if it really happened or not made it worse. I still wonder about that. Sick, sick video……..

Then there are all the Faces of Death videos. Can’t watch them after being in combat. Can’t even believe I watched them when I was younger…….

Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: Strangest movie - 03/07/06 09:39 PM
Mulholland Drive-another David Lynch flick(go figure, the guy makes weird stuff!)
its the kind of movie that when it's over you go,"Wow that was a good flick....what the hell did I just watch??"
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Strangest movie - 03/07/06 09:50 PM
How about "Being John Malcovich"? Not horror but definitely quirky.

Malcovich,

Malcovich.

Malcovich?

Malcovich...

Malcovich!

Also check out David Byrnes "True Stories".

I believe "Mirror Mask" may also fit the bill.

WhatFurrer
Posted By: BrenR Re: Strangest movie - 03/07/06 09:55 PM
I think the only movie that actually ever scared me was Friday the 13th - the first one, it was my initiation into the slasher flicks, I was 6 or so and had never seen such a thing before.

After that... there's really never been anything to make my hair stand up. I always end up grinning like an idiot while everyone else is screaming.

Bren R.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Strangest movie - 03/07/06 10:14 PM
Back in the 80's (I was still in high school) my parents were the first people out of everyone we knew, to buy a surround sound system. Remember this was pre-DVD, pre-5.1. VHS Hi-Fi was the bomb baby!!!

Anyhow, I used to have all my friends over for movie marathons. This one time, I scared the crap out of everyone with Serpent and the Rainbow. Throughout the movie, there was enough "surprise" info coming from the surrounds, that there were numerous, collective screams. Great Fun! (Although, looking at the trailer 18 years later, it kinda looks cheezy!)
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Strangest movie - 03/07/06 10:21 PM
Another strange recent movie that I really enjoyed is Sin City.
Posted By: dllewel Re: Strangest movie - 03/07/06 10:39 PM
In reply to:

I believe "Mirror Mask" may also fit the bill.

Yes, I'll second that. Not scary, but it was weird. Not what I first expected from a Jim Henson Company production. Kind of a cross between Alice and Wonderland, Dark Crystal, and Moulin Rouge. The soundtrack was pretty good, but not my kind of movie.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Strangest movie - 03/07/06 10:54 PM
I quite enjoyed the weirdness of both Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway.

Posted By: sonicfox Re: Strangest movie - 03/07/06 10:59 PM
Well, I think the reason I'm so demented is because the very first R rated movies I've ever seen were when we first got cable tv with HBO when I was about 10 or 11 years old. I still remember them..."Big Bad Mama" and "The Tin Drum". I still have vivid memories of some of the scenes in "The Tin Drum"...not pleasant! It's definitely not a movie for kids. Shame on my parents for letting me watch it. I blame them now for everything bad that I've done!
Posted By: bray Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 12:15 AM
Another vote for the movie "Brazil", very strange indeed.
I also think of "Jacobs Ladder" when it comes to strange movies.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 12:42 AM
In reply to:

I still have vivid memories of some of the scenes in "The Tin Drum"...not pleasant!

If I remember correctly, that was a BIG award winner... and also stirred a lot of issues for the religious right.

Again, one of those movies I should watch someday.

Bren R.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 01:58 AM
"I Spit on Your Grave" i dont remember it that much i just remember it was nuts. i was about 14 and we were at this girls house and it was movie her dad had rented. to make it a bit stranger her father is a pastor. lol
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 02:25 AM
There is a short movie from 1929 called "Un Chien Andalou" written by Luis Bunuel and Salvador Dali that I find particularly strange. Contains a pretty horrific and well-known scene that gives people the heebie-jeebies.

And on a slightly less obscure note, there is a movie from 1984 called "The Ice Pirates" with Robert Urich, Anjelica Huston, and Bruce Villanch. A sci-fi comedy spoof which is very entertaining.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 02:28 AM
Oh my gosh...a pastor rented this?! I saw this back in high school. This chick gets raped, seeks revenge, and amputates 'you know what'!
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 02:38 AM
If by strange you me constantly saying.. WTF?

then.. Pink Floyd's THE WALL
Posted By: bridgman Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 02:46 AM
>>There is a short movie from 1929 called "Un Chien Andalou" written by Luis Bunuel and Salvador Dali

In Toronto one of our local musicians (Jeff Plewman, aka Nash the Slash) does live performances playing soundtracks to Un Chien Andalou and other silent movies. Pretty bizzare but very powerful. Yes the music reaches a crescendo when the scalpel cuts across the eyeball....

Nash plays mostly electric mandolin and electric violin through a variety of effects, some of which I built during my university years a long time ago. Very interesting and quite wierd... definitely worth seeing if you are ever in Toronto...

http://www.nashtheslash.com

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 03:14 AM
Sounds like quite an experience. I've watched a few silent movies accompanied by live music (mainly piano), but I have never come across the likes of Nash.

Oh, and John, I now consider you a film nerd for having heard of that movie. Ha ha.
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 03:30 AM
Good one ...
What about Magnolia? w/ Tom Cruise .. that's some serious WTF... jeje
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 04:34 AM
American Beauty was very twisted.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 04:57 AM
>>Oh, and John, I now consider you a film nerd for having heard of that movie.

It's worse than that. I have probably seen it 10 times...
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 05:03 AM
In that case, I upgrade you to "film geek"
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 05:15 AM
I just posted this in another thread, but the Star Wars Holiday Special is definitely strange, so I thought I'd mention it here.
Posted By: Gkarf Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 05:23 AM
I can't think of wierd movies, I'm still freaked out by FordPrefects avatar!!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 07:13 AM
There's always The Naked Lunch, but I don't think that sounds like the kind of strange movie you're looking for.
Posted By: blackorp Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 07:52 AM
I thought the star war holiday special was a joke. I can't imagine Ford or others willing to do it. It is a good thing they didn't include that into the trilogy box set.
It is one of the weirdest thing i have seen yet.

It is no longer cool to have a Harrison Ford avatar.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 09:01 AM
In reply to:

American Beauty was very twisted.

???

Posted By: snakeyes Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 11:43 AM
Ice Pirates was great me and my brother loved that movie. lol
Posted By: littleb Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 12:38 PM
??????

There was a short movie made in 1968, I believe, called The Dove. The dialogue was disguised as Swedish, but it was really backward English. Madeline Kahn plays a lesbian who comes on to a naive young lady at a picnic in a big way.
Posted By: kingaljr Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 01:27 PM
Strange huh?
Try The Keep.You have nazis vs a big guy in a rubber suit in a old castle thingy.A hero? who rises from the dead and runs around with a light sabre thingy after having wild sex with the village idiot-mad scientist's daughter.All during WW2.It's strange but also boring.

Posted By: mwc Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 02:01 PM
I felt like I needed a shower and then to take communion (and I'm not even religious) after seeing The Devil's Rejects.
Posted By: samandnoah Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 02:29 PM
Since many of the ones I thought of have been mentioned, I'll add this one for consideration:

Thursday

I don't know anyone else who has seen it, but I found it very demented in a great way. Talk about having a bad day!

Take care,
Rich
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 03:20 PM
In reply to:

Ice Pirates was great me and my brother loved that movie. lol

I found the movie very entertaining and watched it numerous times when I was younger. Somebody managed to find me a DVD copy of it, although it's not an official DVD, but I have yet to watch it.

Posted By: Craig_P Re: Strangest movie - 03/08/06 11:54 PM
El Topo (kinda hard to come by)
Ichi The Killer

Posted By: Richie Re: Strangest movie - 03/09/06 02:22 AM
I love strange movies! Here's one - "Eating Raoul".

More info here:
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800060778/details

Posted By: bugbitten Re: Strangest movie - 03/09/06 02:23 AM
Link
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Strangest movie - 03/09/06 03:11 AM
OK, it was Ichi the Killer I was trying to remember for goriest thing I've ever seen. And I've just seen the trailer... <shudders>

Posted By: Richie Re: Strangest movie - 03/09/06 03:27 AM
Thanks!
© Axiom Message Boards