Axiom Home Page
Posted By: RickF Oh boy, this ought to be fun.... - 04/02/06 08:07 AM
Best Buy to offer Custom Home Theatre Installations?

I betcha the two 15 year olds show up at the doorstep with a whole beetle full of Monster cables and extended warranties.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Oh boy, this ought to be fun.... - 04/02/06 01:59 PM
And cube speakers that are audiophile quality.
Posted By: INANE Re: Oh boy, this ought to be fun.... - 04/05/06 04:22 AM
ROTFL

Hey they do sell Klipsch

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Oh boy, this ought to be fun.... - 04/05/06 04:25 AM
Didn't Best Buy buy Magnolia? And doesn't Magnolia already do HT installs?

I confoos.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Oh boy, this ought to be fun.... - 04/05/06 05:32 AM
LOL! I went there recently to buy a cheap little subwoofer (a Yamaha YST-SW215) for my bedroom setup and simply asked if the sub had speaker connections in the back. Without checking, the guy (whom BB hired to work in the speaker dept.) asked me what type of receiver I had. I told him that it was a Rotel integrated amp, but it didn't have a sub output on it. He said it probably wouldn't work because I would need a receiver that had a subwoofer output on it. Then, as he went away for a bit, I checked the back of the sub myself and found that it did indeed have speaker level connections. So when he returned, I pointed them out and he said, "well, you can try it that way, but I've never seen a sub hooked up with those". All I said was, "yeah, it'll do", but it really pissed me off. I can't believe they would hire that guy to try and sell speakers for them! I'm afraid that these are the type of people they will hire to do installations.
Posted By: player8 Re: Oh boy, this ought to be fun.... - 04/05/06 07:16 AM
Never fear, I'm somewhat considering trying to become an installer myself. Mainly for the know how, definitely not the money. It'll be part of my renaissance man vow. Then I'll be a welder, a painter, a window tinter, an engineer, a multi-linguist, and architect.

And I know what sub with speaker level connections should look like. Just don't let me cut out your drywall...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Oh boy, this ought to be fun.... - 04/05/06 01:10 PM
Cutting out drywall is the easy part. Making it look like you never did it... that's the part where skill comes into play.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Oh boy, this ought to be fun.... - 04/05/06 06:28 PM
If their home theater installations are as ridiculously priced as their geek squad, it's going to cost a mint.

$160 to set up wireless, not including hardware. That is a chunk of change.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Oh boy, this ought to be fun.... - 04/05/06 06:43 PM
In reply to:

I'm afraid that these are the type of people they will hire to do installations.

Careful, last timeI posted I was screwing with a Best Buy salesman, I got branded a troll.

Course, aesthetically, I kind of fit the part...

Bren R.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Oh boy, this ought to be fun.... - 04/05/06 06:56 PM
the part of the troll or the salesman?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Oh boy, this ought to be fun.... - 04/05/06 07:03 PM
What makes you think either/or?
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Oh boy, this ought to be fun.... - 04/05/06 08:42 PM
I had the same kind of experience at Best Buy, I asked them if they carried any amps, and the kid looked at me like I was from another planet, at that point I just said "I guess that's a no". I've got the Yamaha YST-SW315 that I just pulled out of the garage for the bedroom system, never even plugged it in, planning on setting it up tonight with the Onkyo TX-LR552 that you gave me the link for, arrived today
Posted By: RickF Re: Oh boy, this ought to be fun.... - 04/05/06 08:58 PM
>>> Cutting out drywall is the easy part. Making it look like you never did it... that's the part where skill comes into play. <<<

Man you are absolutely correct with this statement ... coming from experience Peter?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Oh boy, this ought to be fun.... - 04/05/06 09:00 PM
Not really. I haven't gotten that far yet. All I've done is cut a hole in the bathroom wall and filled it with a flush-mount TP holder. Looks professionally done, if I do say so myself.
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: Oh boy, this ought to be fun.... - 04/06/06 04:12 PM
For the record, Bren, I didn't ever call you a troll... I think I poorly chose the expression "trolling the boards" in reference to something which I now forget... Either way, I don't consider you anywhere close to a troll, nor was it my intent to call you one. I again apologize, though.

In re: Best Buy hacking up my drywall, I would have absolutely no confidence that these guys would be able to do more than simply follow the instructions in the manual (i.e., no indendent thought or ability to creatively work around a problem) - which thereafter begs the question of what you'd actually be paying these guys to do. My brother in law took advantage of Tweeter's home installation guys and was only reasonably satisfied with the end result - I can only imagine what would happen if BB showed up to do the work.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Oh boy, this ought to be fun.... - 04/06/06 08:31 PM
In reply to:

For the record, Bren, I didn't ever call you a troll... I think I poorly chose the expression "trolling the boards" in reference to something which I now forget... Either way, I don't consider you anywhere close to a troll, nor was it my intent to call you one. I again apologize, though.

No need to apologize, Adrien... 95% of what I say is with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek... not stoking old feuds.

Bren R.
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: Oh boy, this ought to be fun.... - 04/06/06 08:47 PM
Sorry, too, then, for bringing it up...
© Axiom Message Boards