Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fillyv Dumb Question - 04/24/06 06:37 PM
When a tv has an Opitcal output in the back does that mean that you can run the audio to the tv and then run out via Optical output from the TV to the reciever?
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Dumb Question - 04/24/06 06:50 PM
If your TV has a built in cable tuner or you are watching OTA HD I believe it would work, otherwise you would have to route throuh your cable box.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Dumb Question - 04/24/06 06:53 PM
Most likely the TV is not going to have an optical input, and unfortunately, if analog input is run to the TV, that signal won't be able to be sent back out through the optical output. Now, if you also have an optical output on the TV (which is unlikely, I believe), then I believe it's possible to have audio input to the TV, then back out to the receiver. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Dumb Question - 04/24/06 06:57 PM
Some of the new TV's have an optical input, the incoming signal would have to be digital and come through either a OTA HD antenna or through a cable box, in which case the optical would have to be routed through the cable box.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Dumb Question - 04/24/06 07:01 PM
Thanks for that info, HomeDad. I'm still "old school" in the TV dept!
Posted By: fillyv Re: Dumb Question - 04/24/06 07:46 PM
Yeah I just bought/Orderd a Pioneer Elite pro-1130HD. I was just wondering what that Opitcal Audio out was for in the back of the tv. I really wouldnt use it anyway because I like to keep the signal as direct as possible. Im just curious as to what thats for.
Posted By: ratpack Re: Dumb Question - 04/24/06 07:58 PM
You really need to read the instruction manual to see what happens to the audio in your TV. There are many ways that it could be handled. Anything else said or commented would be sheer speculation.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Dumb Question - 04/24/06 09:00 PM
That model has a media receiver to recieve standard as well as HD TV over the air, as well as a cable card slot, your digital cable could be connected directly to your receiver for Digital Sound, per the specs. Nice set.
Posted By: SySEng Re: Dumb Question - 04/25/06 12:56 AM
I'm kinda cheap so I use the cable card option in my hd tv because its free and gets me all the digital/HD channels. The optical out on my Sony XBR is hooked up the my Denon 2807. This gives me the digital sound connection from the cable to my receiver. It works very nice. I'm sure that if you have a cable box you wouldn't/shouldn't use the optical out from the tv.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Dumb Question - 04/25/06 04:29 AM
I wish my TV had a cable card slot just to get rid of some wires
© Axiom Message Boards