Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jhunt17 mounting qs8 flush on a ceiling? - 05/15/06 03:52 AM
I have a 5.1 setup and I am thinking about putting the two rear speakers in. I prewired the wires into the ceiling and i was wondering if I could mount those speakers using the mounting bracket that comes with the speakers. Are they designed to work this way or is this a REALLY bad idea? My ceiling is smooth and I figured it would hang ok, but would that change how the speakers sound?

Thanks
Posted By: SirQuack Re: mounting qs8 flush on a ceiling? - 05/15/06 04:15 AM
I don't think this is a good idea. The tweeters need to be behind the listeners aiming towards the front of the room at 45degrees as they are designed, not shooting straight down at the floor. Also, I don't think it would be a good idea for the top/bottom woofers to be parallel to the ceiling.

I guess I'm not sure why you don't want to use an omnimount or some other DIY method like I did, using a cheap shelf bracket from Menards.

I don't think THX, Dolby Labs, etc. would agree with your idea either.

Posted By: duckman Re: mounting qs8 flush on a ceiling? - 05/15/06 04:18 AM
I don't think it would affect the sound a great deal, but I would be concerned about them staying on the brackets. The Q's just kind of hang on those brackets and without gravity holding them on, I would be concerned with them vibrating off the brackets and onto someones head. Those little suckers are heavy. I'd go with the FMB to be safe and you'd gain some flexibility in positioning. A couple others on here have dropped them down from the ceiling using L brackets, I have my mains flown that way, in the right situation it's really slick.
I hate being a slow typer- see pic above

Posted By: jhunt17 Re: mounting qs8 flush on a ceiling? - 05/15/06 04:19 AM
I figured that would be the case, but I thought I would ask anyway. thanks
Posted By: talkinghead Re: mounting qs8 flush on a ceiling? - 05/22/06 08:40 PM
Not sure if I should start a new thread, but I'll start here..

I want to mount the QS8 on two support poles in my basement HT. Unfortunately they would be close to a soffitt that had to be built to cover the HVAC in the ceiling. Anyway, the top of the QS8 would be about 6 inches from the ceiling in this location. Will this hinder the top firing woofer any way??

Thanks for any advice
Posted By: pmbuko Re: mounting qs8 flush on a ceiling? - 05/22/06 08:54 PM
6 inches should be more than enough clearance.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: mounting qs8 flush on a ceiling? - 05/22/06 09:20 PM
YOu should be fine, look at my picture above, that is about the clearance I have and it works fine.
Posted By: keend0 Re: mounting qs8 flush on a ceiling? - 05/23/06 01:24 AM
I asked the same question to the Axiom folks about 6 months ago and they said 6" or more would be fine.
Posted By: talkinghead Re: mounting qs8 flush on a ceiling? - 05/23/06 02:57 AM
Thanks everybody for the replies!. I will mount them on the support poles as planned. Thanks again
© Axiom Message Boards