Axiom Home Page
Posted By: nickbuol Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Place your vote. - 06/27/06 02:24 PM
OK. This will just be a pure stab in the dark survey. Let's try to keep the editorial comments to a minimum too. Place your vote, and make a brief comment as to why you voted the way you did. Maybe you like Blu-Ray because it has a cool name, that is OK. maybe you like HD-DVD because it came out first, that is OK too. Maybe you have some deeper technical information to share, do it. Just try to keep them to a small, easy to review list.

Too bad we couldn't all pitch in a dollar when we place our vote, and then which ever side 'wins' in 3 years, they could collect the pool of money. This is meant to be fun folks.

Results will be viewable in 1 month at midnight Eastern time.
Posted By: inthedeck Re: Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Place your vote. - 06/27/06 02:40 PM
My vote goes to HD-DVD. I am not one to support proprietary formats, such as Sony is going to release. What's with that...just support it all, I say!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Place your vote. - 06/27/06 02:43 PM
I support neither. What with rather draconian copy protection built in, competing standards that have actually made it to market instead of being worked out beforehand, and the sheer arrogance of all the companies promoting them, they both deserve the dustbin of history.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Place your vote. - 06/27/06 02:59 PM
I want to view the poll results.
Posted By: timtodd Re: Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Place your vote. - 06/27/06 03:32 PM
I am thoroughly enjoying HD-DVD movies with my Axiom speakers(have had for two weeks, waiting for the EP500 to arrive), Pioneer Elite 74TXVi, and Panasonic AE900 720p projector. The picture and sound are excellent!
Posted By: dllewel Re: Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Place your vote. - 06/27/06 04:02 PM
HD-DVD looks superior (at least for now). When Sony gets their dual-layer and encoding worked out, things may change. They will suffer the next few months due to inferior image quality, and the price point as compared to Toshiba. These are two huge factors in getting someone to make the jump.

Blu-ray just wasn't quite ready yet in my opinion. If the roles were reversed and HD-DVD debuted with poor image quality, at twice the cost- it would be over. Sony may pull this out is because they are Sony, and the product penetration they have with the PS3.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not a Sony basher or anything. I'm just dissapointed with the whole mess. If only both sides could have agreed on the format initially, I'd be spending my money and enjoying High Def DVDs right now. Instead I will have to wait until the smoke clears

Still way too early to know how it will end for sure.
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Place your vote. - 06/27/06 05:44 PM
Quote:

I support neither. What with rather draconian copy protection built in, competing standards that have actually made it to market instead of being worked out beforehand, and the sheer arrogance of all the companies promoting them, they both deserve the dustbin of history.

I would echo Ken's comments. I refuse to spend that much money investing in a technology, not just players but software too, that could become another beta. Because of that I had to vote DVD until they can get this whole mess sorted out.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Place your vote. - 06/27/06 06:01 PM
How could I forget the Image Constraint Token? Well, it's part of the draconian copy protection, but look for it to show up in a few years. It's on the disks, on the drives, but not enabled. In case you haven't heard of it, if you're using component outputs (or HDMI or DVI that's not HDCP latest version compliant), the movie studios can elect to cut your resolution on a particular disk in half, to 576 lines. Isn't that wonderful?
Posted By: cgrface Re: Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Place your vote. - 06/28/06 07:09 PM
Just from reading through the forums, it looks like there is more positive feedback for Toshiba's HD. Time will tell though...
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Place your vote. - 06/29/06 01:16 PM
I voted BR mostly because im gonna buy PS3.
Posted By: littleb Re: Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Place your vote. - 06/29/06 03:53 PM
I voted Standard since I bought that Denon 2900 which I really didn't need and I'm not blowing anymore money on DVD players until the ones I have are kaput. I could have watched movies on the Panasonic and purchased 1 M80 instead. Live and learn.
Posted By: INANE Re: Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Place your vote. - 06/30/06 03:45 AM
Personally I think PS3 will flop... or at least not be as dominate as a lot of folks think. And thus if BR's hopes lie on the back of the PS3 well... meh.

DVD now and HD DVD in a year or so for me.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Place your vote. - 06/30/06 08:00 PM
I'm hoping

(ATI did the graphics engines for Wii and XBOX 360, NVidia is doing the graphics engine for PS3)
Posted By: INANE Re: Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Place your vote. - 07/01/06 03:29 AM
Normally I'm an Nvidia guy all the way, but not this time.

Posted By: jimmienorton Re: Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Place your vote. - 07/06/06 11:34 PM
my vote is for hd dvd,because I have the x1 and I love it. Never had any problems with it,picture rocks. I will be buying the ps3 also.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Place your vote. - 08/03/06 05:47 AM
Man, I totally forgot about checking the results of the poll. Well, there are now available.

Blu-Ray or HD-DVD?
Users may choose only one (74 total votes)
Blu-Ray!
24 votes or 32%

HD-DVD!
30 votes or 41%

Standard DVD will never die!
20 votes or 27%

Looks like HD-DVD is the favorite.
Posted By: KC23 Re: Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Place your vote. - 08/03/06 04:26 PM
My money is going to audio. I have no intensions on going with either one in the near future.
Posted By: arcticair Re: Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Place your vote. - 08/11/06 09:15 PM
Blue-Ray 25GB 1080P
HD-DVD 15GB 1080i
DVD 4.7GB 480P

I think Blue-Ray is the winner.
Posted By: dllewel Re: Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Place your vote. - 08/11/06 10:10 PM
HD-DVD software does support 1080p. It's supposedly the 1st gen hardware player that limits it to 1080i (for now).

I imagine if this is true, it will be widely available in future hardware, and when there are more sources available.
Posted By: Nick B Re: Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Place your vote. - 08/12/06 01:32 PM
Neither. Don't get me wrong I would love to have a high def dvd format. However, every month we learn something new that makes everyone think twice about buying into either of these formats. For example, both camps came up with this great idea of a hybrid disk to ease the transition from dvd to high def dvd's. It essestially has standard dvd on one side a high def on the other. I thought that this was a great idea until I saw that these things are $40! Are they insane? I could just buy the standard def dvd right now for $20 and IF either of these formats are even around still in a couple of years when I upgrade to a high def player then I am sure that I could get a high def copy for no more than $20. Who are these supposed to be marketed to? Just one more reason why both camps are out of touch with reality and the best interest of the consumers.
© Axiom Message Boards