Axiom Home Page
Here's where I "meditate" during my spare time . Advises and opinions are welcomed.

Very nice system Edwin! The 500 must really rock inside that room ... what are the room dimensions?
Very nice setup. Initial thoughts (other than "his monitor must be bigger than mine ) :

1. The window treatments are a clever idea -- they give you the light-blocking of blinds but look better...

2. The mains seem to be 11-12 feet apart but your seating distance from the screen seems to be quite a bit less than that. If I am not judging the distances wrongly, you might get a more seamless soundscape by trying to fit the speakers inside the windows rather than outside. I realize they won't quite fit, but they don't quite fit on the outside either and it would be worth trying at least once to see if you liked the sound better.

3. Why do you have a picture of my wife hanging on the wall in the first picture ?
No kidding, I could just sit and drewl over her in that meditation room. The only advice would be to resize your pictures smaller so they are not so big on the forums. Not a problem for me since I have high speed, but for those poor folk that still have dial-up, it would suck.
Great room!

I know that I could never relax in a room with that clock reminding me of deadlines, but, hey.... that's just me!
Thanks for the comment What do you mean your "wife" picture in my room? I thought that's mine As for the clock, somehow I am able to mentally block that clock from my view when I'm watching a movie or listening to music

I wish I can try moving the M60s closer to the monitor but that would mean getting longer coaxial cable for the sub, and possibly the optical cable as well. How big of improvement would it be if I move them 1-2 feet closer to the display? It couldn't be a huge noticable improvement, could it?

The EP500 absolutely rocks! My room size is only 16'x13', the EP500 probably overkill I would get the EP350 instead if it has the DSP, but it doesn't. I only have my EP500 1/3 of the volume up
The room looks great, and there is no such thing as overkill
>>It couldn't be a huge noticable improvement, could it?

I don't think so, at least not when you were listening in 5.1 (eg. movies, or stereo music matrixed out to 5.1). You would notice a bigger difference if you were playing stereo material using just the mains... there the difference might be significant but again it would only affect your ability to "place" instruments between the speakers.
Nice room. The clock is the only issue for me but if it does not bother you, no problem.
I can't wait someday I can get my Media room going.
Very nice setup, Edwin. It's hard to judge from the pictures, but maybe a little more toe-in on the M60s, so that the tweeters point at your ears, should be tried, rather than moving them closer together.
Quote:

A little more toe-in on the M60s, so that the tweeters point at your ears, should be tried, rather than moving them closer together.

Thanks John. I will try that. I have angled the M60s a bit toward the the middle of the listening area. I'll try to angle it a bit more and see if it result in any better sound or not.
Looks fantastic! But I would ditch the clock. Why would you want to remind yourself how much time you're "wasting" in front of your system?
Hey Edwin. I know I'm in the minority here, but I like the clock. By the way, everything else looks terrific as well.
The clock made me chuckle. A few weeks ago I got in trouble keeping the kids up too late watching some movie. "We lost track of time," I said. "Maybe you need a BIG CLOCK in there with you!"
I didn't have a clock in there before and I got into some trouble for getting lost in time . I would have just ignored a smaller clock, that's why I put a big a** clock in there now :P Beside, I have the ability to mentally block the clock from my view when I'm watching a movie or listening to music (which kinda beat the purpose of having the clock there in the first place LOL)
I usually keep an old digital alarm clock (with bright red numbers) next to the computer while I'm playing WoW. Saves pain.
I have the time displayed on our Motorola set top box display window, and sometimes that's too much.

Edwin, did you give John's toe-in suggestion a try yet? I don't know about you and most other folks here but it sure seems like I'm forever tweaking and playing around with speaker placement and furniture movement only to find most often the original placement was perfectly fine.
I haven't try John's suggestion yet. I'm still at work right now (not sure why even bother coming in to work today with tomorrow being a holiday) I will try it later today when I get home
I've tried John's suggestion. It seems like the sound improved slightly, nothing too dramatic though. It sounded as if I get more seamless soundscape, slightly more focus. Before, I feel that there was a slight gap in the middle area between the two main speakers.

Thanks for the advise, John.
© Axiom Message Boards