Axiom Home Page
Posted By: duckman outstanding uses of music in film/tv - 08/19/06 10:21 PM
As I was listening to my new 20th aniv. sacd of Dire straits' Brothers in arms, I got to thinking about the use of the title track in an episode of The west wing, the season 2 finale "Two cathedrals" I'm a WW fan and the final scene featuring that song was particularly moving and the song was a big part part as it was particularly fitting. So, what other instances in film or tv of inspired uses of music can you reccomend?
Posted By: ElTorrente Re: outstanding uses of music in film/tv - 08/19/06 10:59 PM
The first the springs to mind is most of the Miami Vice episodes back in the day. Back then, it was such a cutting edge show and music was always a big part of many episodes.

I don't watch enough of the big t.v. shows these days, so I don't have any recent ones that stick out.
Posted By: JohnK Re: outstanding uses of music in film/tv - 08/20/06 02:57 AM
Duck, as you may know, the use of classical music in film scores is very common. Possibly Strauss's Blue Danube Waltz would head any movie list; examples are "2001" and "Titanic". Richard Strauss's Also Sprach Zarathustra has been used a lot, again notably in "2001". Beethoven's 9th Symphony was featured in "A Clockwork Orange". Ravel's Bolero has made many appearances, including an attempt to inspire Bo Derek and Dudley Moore in "10".
Posted By: CV Re: outstanding uses of music in film/tv - 08/20/06 04:55 AM
I love the musical choices in the TV show Freaks and Geeks. They really added to every scene.

C.V.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: outstanding uses of music in film/tv - 08/20/06 05:22 AM
For me, hands down, it's Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells" used in 'The Exorcist'. On it's own, it's really a beautiful and brilliant piece of music. But for me, I'll never get over it's association to the movie, and since the movie freaked me out so bad, so does the song. I can't think of any other music in a film that's had this lasting affect on me.
Posted By: ElTorrente Re: outstanding uses of music in film/tv - 08/20/06 05:50 AM
Well the song that has the most lasting impression, for me, is "Moving in Stereo" by the cars from Fast Times. Phoebe had a truly moving performance.

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: outstanding uses of music in film/tv - 08/20/06 06:36 AM
I'm gonna go with the obvious choice for the "Jaws" theme.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: outstanding uses of music in film/tv - 08/20/06 10:27 AM
Clockwork Orange.
Posted By: Jordan Re: outstanding uses of music in film/tv - 08/20/06 02:36 PM
Radiohead had a big part to play in the making of Vanilla Sky. Not that I cared much for the movie mind you.

I can't belive that nobody mentioned Star Wars either.

J
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: outstanding uses of music in film/tv - 08/21/06 01:51 AM
Oh c'mon people. "Ride of the Valkyries" from Apocalypse Now!! Along with the above mentioned scenes from "A Clockwork Orange" is there a more memorable marriage of music and film?

P.S. As far as TV the use of "Who Are You?" in the original CSI, although actually out of context if you understand what the song is about, certainly does give the show a rollicking start. And I'll second the music from Miami Vice. Good stuff.
Posted By: dllewel Re: outstanding uses of music in film/tv - 08/21/06 04:40 PM
Anything John Williams has done is great (Star Wars, Superman, Jurrasic Park, etc.). I'm also a fan of just about anything Danny Elfman has done.

Andrew Lloyd Webbers 2004 version of Phantom of the Opera is very good- and of course mostly because of the music.
Posted By: Rik Re: outstanding uses of music in film/tv - 08/22/06 02:16 AM
The Blues Brothers 25th Anniversary Edition with the remastered audio is worth a listen.
Posted By: duckman Re: outstanding uses of music in film/tv - 08/22/06 03:29 AM
"We're on a mission from god." BB truely is classic cinema, built by craftsmen.
Posted By: Rik Re: outstanding uses of music in film/tv - 08/23/06 01:33 AM
The movie is always good for a laugh, no matter how many times I have seen it. And the musical performances by Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin and James Brown aren't too bad either.
Posted By: dllewel Re: outstanding uses of music in film/tv - 08/23/06 01:37 AM
"What kind of music do you usually have here?

-Oh we've got both kinds, country and western."
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: outstanding uses of music in film/tv - 08/23/06 01:53 AM
Quote:

"What kind of music do you usually have here?

-Oh we've got both kinds, country and western."

"We'll, uh, we'll talk to Bob."
Posted By: dllewel Re: outstanding uses of music in film/tv - 08/23/06 02:06 AM
"Get in the car and start it up"
© Axiom Message Boards