Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Drifter QS8’s mounting heights - 08/20/06 10:41 PM
I’m ready to start running wires for my new HT and need advice as to how high above seated ear level can I mount my side QS8’s. I will be about 5 feet from the closest surround using a 2 seat side-by-side arrangement. The total width of the room is 16 feet with 8 foot vaulted ceiling. 6’10” would be my ideal speaker height. If this is to high can I tilt the speakers down at the seats. I realize the QS8’s are not direct radiating. Like anyone I’m looking for the optimal placement for quality sound.
Thanks!
Posted By: ElTorrente Re: QS8’s mounting heights - 08/20/06 11:25 PM
I've tried a few different setups, and the best sounding is a couple feet above ear level. I had them about 4 feet above ear level and I didn't like it nearly as much. They are very flexible though and sound good pretty much anywhere you put them.
Posted By: Ajax Re: QS8’s mounting heights - 08/21/06 12:25 AM
From the Axiom FAQ:

"Where should I place my surround speakers?
Ideally, surround speakers should be either wall-mounted or stand-mounted to either side of the couch or primary listening area, from one to six feet higher than seated listeners' ears, and slightly forward or rearwards of the listening area if you wish. Axiom's Quadpolar surrounds are especially versatile and can yield excellent performance with stand or wall-mounting to the rear as well as at side locations. (see our dedicated stands for the QS Surround speakers in the Store). Rear center speakers for 6.1 and 7.1 installations are intended to go on the rear wall at about the same height as the surround speakers.
"

6'10" should comfortably fall within the above stated parameters (unless you're lying flat on the floor ), and there would be no need to tilt the speakers down at the seats.
Posted By: Drifter Re: QS8’s mounting heights - 08/21/06 12:41 AM
Next time I'll read the Axiom FAQ's first.
Thanks
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: QS8’s mounting heights - 08/21/06 01:53 AM
Quote:

Thanks

It's a good idea, but no worries. We all like to bloviate around hear. Smells kinda funky after a while though.
Posted By: Ajax Re: QS8’s mounting heights - 08/21/06 05:24 AM
Quote:

Thanks

You're welcome.
© Axiom Message Boards