Axiom Home Page
Posted By: vball_le Denon Receiver Blow-out - 08/31/06 10:50 PM
Yesterday I connect the M60 speakers to 2 receivers without removing the bar on the back that connect the 2 binding posts. I am not trying to bi-amping or anything..just playing around. When I tried to play a DVD, the Denon receiver just went dead and i cannot turn it on anymore. Has anyone experienced this problem? What might happen to the Denon receiver? Thanks.
Posted By: DrunkenWolf Re: Denon Receiver Blow-out - 08/31/06 11:02 PM
Umm...so...You just sent current TO the receiver? I'm not an expert on this, but that sounds like a very bad idea. Hopefully some magic circuitry kicked in to protect the device before real harm was done. Unplug it for a half hour or so and see if you can get it to turn back on. Don't do that again.

But I'm not expert, maybe it is okay to do this, it just sounds like a bad idea to try to push power into an out socket.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Denon Receiver Blow-out - 08/31/06 11:15 PM
So, lemme get this straight-one receiver to the upper pair of binding posts, one receiver to the lower pair of binding posts, no removal of the jumpers between the upper and lower pairs.

Were both receivers on? Even if they weren't, you're risking damage to both of them. Like Drunkenwolf said, take it apart and hope that it was protection circuitry that saved your buns.
Posted By: DrunkenWolf Re: Denon Receiver Blow-out - 08/31/06 11:22 PM
Quote:

So, lemme get this straight-one receiver to the upper pair of binding posts, one receiver to the lower pair of binding posts, no removal of the jumpers between the upper and lower pairs.

Were both receivers on? Even if they weren't, you're risking damage to both of them. Like Drunkenwolf said, take it apart and hope that it was protection circuitry that saved your buns.

Don't take it apart, just unplug it. Taking it apart would void the warranty. Wouldn't want to do something that voids the warranty.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Denon Receiver Blow-out - 08/31/06 11:27 PM
Take it apart, unplug it... what's the difference?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Denon Receiver Blow-out - 08/31/06 11:54 PM
Why were you hooking two receivers to the same speaker? That is most likely your problem, the Denon probably went into protection mode and shut down. Try unplugging it and let it sit for a bit, then try again. This time only use one receiver.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Denon Receiver Blow-out - 09/01/06 12:37 AM
Is the Denon actually "dead" (zero signs of life) or does it immediately kick into an "almost dead" mode (eg power light is on but a different colour than you are used to seeing) ?
Posted By: RickF Re: Denon Receiver Blow-out - 09/01/06 12:43 AM
Upon reading the thread title I thought maybe there was a huge Denon receiver sale going on somewhere ... anyhow, good luck with the receiver(s) vball.

Class, have we learned anything from today's lesson?

Seriously, good luck vball_le.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Denon Receiver Blow-out - 09/01/06 02:43 AM
So did I Rick, I was thinking about purchasing a second Denon to hook to my m80's when Wid buys them for me. ha ha
Posted By: JohnK Re: Denon Receiver Blow-out - 09/01/06 02:55 AM
VB, welcome. Realize that even when one of the receivers is "off", it's still connected to the receiver that's on, in parallel with the speaker(it's like a "Y", with the speaker at one leg and the inactive receiver at the other). The result is that possibly both receivers are damaged. Unplug both receivers for a while, as was suggested, then try both of them(only one connected to a speaker)to see if they'll operate.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Denon Receiver Blow-out - 09/01/06 02:56 AM
I think VB has run for cover with his tail between his legs.
Posted By: DrunkenWolf Re: Denon Receiver Blow-out - 09/01/06 03:01 AM
or he was a troll expecting to be flamed.
Posted By: jimmienorton Re: Denon Receiver Blow-out - 09/01/06 11:25 AM
you might want to go to home theater school while your at it.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Denon Receiver Blow-out - 09/01/06 01:13 PM
Now Now guys, lets not get to nasty, we want the guy to stick around.

VB hope you figure this out and give us an update.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Denon Receiver Blow-out - 09/01/06 01:40 PM
>>you might want to go to home theater school while your at it.

There's a home theater school ? Where do I sign up ?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Denon Receiver Blow-out - 09/01/06 01:48 PM
try this franchise John Audio Video Handyman
Posted By: vball Re: Denon Receiver Blow-out - 09/07/06 09:03 PM
hey guys,

My Denon receiver is still dead. When I plug it in, the power button is on green but there is nothing on the LCD display. I think it's dead..hic hic. I bought it at an Internet store its warranty is not honored by Denon. The thing that piss me off is that I tried this "stunt" before with a Harmon Kardon receiver (in place of the Denon), the HK shut itself off but I am able to bring it back on again...now I have to bring the Denon to an authozied repair shop and have it repair....urggg.....
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Denon Receiver Blow-out - 09/07/06 09:31 PM
Sorry for your problems. I would recommend you not trying that "stunt" anymore, no reason for it...

How long have you had the Denon? You might be able to call the internet store and see what they say. Sometimes they give you their own time limit/warranty.
Posted By: vball Re: Denon Receiver Blow-out - 09/07/06 10:42 PM
I have it less than a year...will try to call the internet dealer.
© Axiom Message Boards