Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jrmav Quick HDMI question - 09/01/06 10:30 PM
I am just learning about HDMI connections and have a yamaha rx-v750, 2 years old, and there are no HDMI inputs. There are component inputs for both tv and dvd, now can hi-def be passed through component and if so is there any difference in picture quality?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Quick HDMI question - 09/01/06 10:33 PM
At the moment, component may well be your best bet for high def. Unfortunately, should you get a HDDVD player or a Blu-Ray player, and should the movie studios start enforcing it, you may be out of luck. On both formats there is the ability to cause output through the component jacks to be played in 540i instead of 1080p, should the movie publisher want to do that. At the moment, the movie studios have elected not to go that route, but they certainly left the option open to do it in the future.
Posted By: jrmav Re: Quick HDMI question - 09/01/06 10:37 PM
Quote:

At the moment, component may well be your best bet for high def. Unfortunately, should you get a HDDVD player or a Blu-Ray player, and should the movie studios start enforcing it, you may be out of luck. On both formats there is the ability to cause output through the component jacks to be played in 540i instead of 1080p, should the movie publisher want to do that. At the moment, the movie studios have elected not to go that route, but they certainly left the option open to do it in the future.

So if and when this happens I will just need a new receiver, right? by then I will probably be ready for a new one anyway, I'll just make sure my new tv has HDMI inputs. Thanks.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Quick HDMI question - 09/01/06 10:41 PM
No, no, you're supposed to get pissed at the movie studios for putting these artificial limitations in place!
Posted By: jrmav Re: Quick HDMI question - 09/01/06 10:42 PM
Sorry.......THOSE ROTTEN BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Quick HDMI question - 09/01/06 10:53 PM
That's more like it.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Quick HDMI question - 09/02/06 12:54 AM
>>So if and when this happens I will just need a new receiver, right? by then I will probably be ready for a new one anyway, I'll just make sure my new tv has HDMI inputs.

You may also find that you can hook the player directly to the TV via HDMI and continue to run everything *else* through the receiver. By then you will probably have picked up one of those gee-whiz Harmony remotes and have found someone who can program the thing, so having to switch inputs at the TV to play HD DVDs and switch at the receiver for everything else will be a no-brainer
Posted By: jrmav Re: Quick HDMI question - 09/02/06 02:29 AM
Quote:

>>So if and when this happens I will just need a new receiver, right? by then I will probably be ready for a new one anyway, I'll just make sure my new tv has HDMI inputs.

You may also find that you can hook the player directly to the TV via HDMI and continue to run everything *else* through the receiver. By then you will probably have picked up one of those gee-whiz Harmony remotes and have found someone who can program the thing, so having to switch inputs at the TV to play HD DVDs and switch at the receiver for everything else will be a no-brainer

Good idea, I have been using the MX-500 by Universal for two years now and love it! I'm thinking of upgrading to one of their RF models.
© Axiom Message Boards