Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme What to watch first? - 09/02/06 09:12 PM
OK...I've never owned a big tv before, so I'm REALLY excited about getting this new one. So the big question is...what do I watch first? Rather than open it up to a million differnt choices, I'm going to have a poll! (Poll are fun, no?)

Here are some details that may effect your choice.

TV: KDS-60A2000
DVD: Denon DV-2900
SEATING: Approx. 14' from screen
SPEAKERS: M60ti mains, VP150 Center, QS8 surrounds
SUB: Hsu VTF-2
Posted By: cgrface Re: What to watch first? - 09/02/06 09:29 PM
Fellowship Of The Ring is one of my all-time favorites. I have the audio system in place, but not the big screen. Just the suround sound and deep LFE made the experience so much more intense for me, I can't imagine what the added visual effect of a big screen would add.

Second choice, Finding Nemo. We watch grandkids a lot so this one hits home...
Posted By: real80sman Re: What to watch first? - 09/02/06 09:51 PM
Craig, I voted for Gladiator. I think the grandness of the Colosseum, the extravagent fight scenes, and the costumes would look amazing on a big set.

Fellowship, King Arthur, and Titanic would be next up for me.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: What to watch first? - 09/02/06 11:44 PM
Craig, many good choices, I voted for the Fellowship, although I think Sin City, The Incredibles and Finding Nemo will really give you some spectacular visuals.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: What to watch first? - 09/02/06 11:49 PM
I voted for Nemo mainly because i think you really want some visuals that will knock you on your ass with the new tv. though the sound on that movie is not to shabby either. Incredibles is a close second though.
Jake
Posted By: Ajax Re: What to watch first? - 09/03/06 01:44 AM
Craig, You being a comic book art aficionado, I voted for The Incredibles, but Finding Nemo would be a great choice as well. Another I'll recommend, if you can stand the genre, is Open Range. Great surround sound with the rainstorms and the gunfight, and some stunningly beautiful scenery.

Another off-the-wall suggestion, and one with which you may be familiar, is the IMAX Documentary Beavers (hold the wisecracks, please). Visually stunning, remarkably done, and very interesting (to me, anyway) as well.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: What to watch first? - 09/03/06 02:46 AM
Interesting you mention Beavers. We were just scanning the original negative of that film this past week. AMAZING photography in that movie!
Posted By: Ajax Re: What to watch first? - 09/03/06 04:10 AM
It's knocked me out every time I've seen it (primarily on the INHD channel in real Hi Def). At some point I'm probably going to have to buy the DVD. I find myself asking "now how the heck did they get that shot" about every two minutes, and the DVD includes a "making of" video.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: What to watch first? - 09/03/06 10:07 AM
Craig:
I voted for Purple Rain since you're a huge Prince fan. You'll still get to watch all the rest of those movies over time, but your "first" should be dictated by something that moves you.... not just "shows off the system".

I gave SRV honors in that respect; first music through the Axioms, first DVD through the new tellie....
Posted By: bridgman Re: What to watch first? - 09/03/06 02:22 PM
Geez, it's been almost a day. I would have watched ALL of them by now

I voted for the Incredibles, on the (possibly incorrect) assumption that you have had the speakers for a while and the only new part is the TV. The Incredibles doesn't try to make you think and just gives you pure, bright visual enjoyment.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: What to watch first? - 09/03/06 06:17 PM
I won't have the new tv for at least another week, and indeed the tv is the only new piece of equipment.
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: What to watch first? - 09/04/06 06:30 AM
The Airmobile scene in Apocalypse Now is what the big screen was made for.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: What to watch first? - 09/05/06 05:15 AM
Come on guys...193 views, 42 votes...and we wonder why our country's democracy is falling apart. Bring the polls to the people and they still won't vote!

<sadly shaking head>
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: What to watch first? - 09/05/06 05:59 AM
I voted! I think I was the fourth one. Went for "FInding Nemo" because the visuals are superb for showing off a new display.

I like what Mark said, though, "Purple Rain" would be a good choice due to the personal enjoyment factor. Might as well make the first movie a special one.
Posted By: JohnK Re: What to watch first? - 09/05/06 07:46 AM
But Craig, deep down all these movies are just the same! It doesn't matter which one we vote for and my one vote can't possibly make any difference and give us better cinematography.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: What to watch first? - 09/05/06 01:38 PM
Yeah, I voted too. I like the awesome visuals of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It is great to see those vast landscapes on a big screen. I love the animated movies as well, but again, my vote goes to Fellowship of the ring. I was something like voter # 10. Maybe it is those Florida voters? (just kidding)
Posted By: Hutzal Re: What to watch first? - 09/05/06 01:48 PM
Is there REALLY any other movie to watch besides Lord of the Rings?

Cummon, do you REALLY need a poll????
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: What to watch first? - 09/05/06 02:20 PM
Craig:
Is there no Imax favorite?
Posted By: medic8r Re: What to watch first? - 09/05/06 03:09 PM
I voted for the Incredibles, which was in second place at the time. Great story, great visuals, awesome sound.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: What to watch first? - 09/05/06 03:58 PM
Craig, I voted for The Incredibles, too. I think it goes from Zero to "Whoa!" in the shortest amount of time. Plus, it doesn't take a nine-hour investment.

I think the forum counts the number of views even for those who are looking but have already voted.
Posted By: bridgman Re: What to watch first? - 09/05/06 04:19 PM
If you have already voted, is there a way to view the results without voting again ? I'm a big believer in voting multiple times in our federal and provincial elections, but it seems to me something as important as which DVD to watch first on a new big-screen TV deserves a higher ethical standard.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: What to watch first? - 09/05/06 04:30 PM
Quote:

Craig:
Is there no Imax favorite?

I know that I don't pick up Imax films to watch at home for a couple of reasons...

Number one (and pretty much the biggest reason) is that they are not widescreen. I understand that the original Imax format is not designed to be widescreen, and I am OK with that. I just won't buy any for home. Not a big deal to me.

Number 2 is that most Imax films that I have watched are very slow moving and are, of course, "too" educational for me to want to watch at home. Great for the Imax locations (like ours in Des Moines) that are located at our local Science Center.

I would guess also that Craig has probably seen all of them enough to not warrant a viewing at home.

(Note to Craig. Please understand that I am not slamming Imax films, just that they were not designed for anything other than the large format screen, and that is where they do best. I think that is why they get mediocre ratings when people buy them on DVD and watch them on their 27" Zenith from the 80's.)
Posted By: cgrface Re: What to watch first? - 09/05/06 04:36 PM
Quote:

If you have already voted, is there a way to view the results without voting again ? I'm a big believer in voting multiple times in our federal and provincial elections, but it seems to me something as important as which DVD to watch first on a new big-screen TV deserves a higher ethical standard.

LOL!!! There is a lot of that that goes on here in the lower 48 as well
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What to watch first? - 09/05/06 04:41 PM
But not Alaska or Hawaii.
© Axiom Message Boards