Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Zarak Remember, remember, the 5th of November - 09/14/06 04:52 PM
So I watched V for Vendetta last night, as those of you who understand the meaning of the subject line likely already figured out. I liked it and thought it was good, but not as much as the top 150 movies of all time rating it has on IMDB currently. I wanted to see what others on here thought that saw it as well.

It did look good on the new TV though
Posted By: ScottA Re: Remember, remember, the 5th of November - 09/14/06 05:19 PM
I loved it. Thought it was the best movie I have seen in a while. Contoversial due to tht subject matter, but i thought it was very well done. I do not know about top 150 of all time, but it and Sin City are two of the best movies I have ever seen. In my humble opinion anyway.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Remember, remember, the 5th of November - 09/14/06 05:47 PM
I picked up the movie for cheap online, but have yet to watch it. It is one of those movies that I won't be able to get my wife to watch with me, so I have to wait for some time when a) she isn't home and b) I don't have a bunch of other things to do. I may never see it at this rate...
Posted By: Slitman Re: Remember, remember, the 5th of November - 09/14/06 06:58 PM
Was one of those movies I had watched going in without any expectations. I must admit I was pleasantly suprised how much I enjoyed it. I don't know about top 150 of all time but it was certainly good. One of my ATF has still got to be Gladiator tho. I can't wait to get my basement reno completed so I can order my Axiom speakers !!!
This movie has one of THE GREATEST sounds for axioms.

The daggers slicing through the air sounds amazing. The soundtrack and fireworks are superb.
Posted By: Slitman Re: Remember, remember, the 5th of November - 09/14/06 11:50 PM
I hear War of The Worlds has some really really low frequency effects in the 10 Hz range. Can anyone confirm that ? I don't think the EP600 can crossover that low or can it ?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Remember, remember, the 5th of November - 09/14/06 11:54 PM
Well, I don't think anyone would want to put a crossover at 10 Hz...
Posted By: royce73 Re: Remember, remember, the 5th of November - 09/15/06 05:32 PM
I was sorely dissapointed by it when I went to the theaters. I read the original Graphic Novel and the Wachowskis basically ignored the central theme in order to insert their politcal views. I think the original author, Alan Moore, said it best - if you are going to use this film to comment on what is going on in America, then set the movie in America and have "V" wear a Paul Revere mask instead. The acting was very good - especially Weaving, but the story overall was a bit bland.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Remember, remember, the 5th of November - 09/15/06 08:50 PM
Natalie Portman was pretty hot bald, dontcha think?
Posted By: INANE Re: Remember, remember, the 5th of November - 09/21/06 04:37 AM
I'm a conservative, I support (almost) everything Bush is doing on the war on terror and I loved this movie a lot.

ymmv
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Remember, remember, the 5th of November - 09/21/06 01:55 PM
Good to hear INANE. I am a "conservative" as well, and I am hoping that I will enjoy the movie (if I ever get time to watch it).
Posted By: royce73 Re: Remember, remember, the 5th of November - 09/21/06 03:00 PM
I guess it is perspective - maybe even a bit of fanboyism. Have you read the graphic novel before watching the movie?
Posted By: James_T Re: Remember, remember, the 5th of November - 09/21/06 06:10 PM
Peter. You can stop at "pretty hot". Almost anything following those words are superfluous.

Oh and my opinion on the movie. It was good.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Remember, remember, the 5th of November - 09/21/06 07:03 PM
I'm not a conservative and I think even Bush likes Natalie Portman.
Posted By: royce73 Re: Remember, remember, the 5th of November - 09/21/06 07:12 PM
Quote:

Natalie Portman was pretty hot bald, dontcha think?

Not as hot as she will be in her next movie - Think naked and CATHERINE WHEEL!!
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Remember, remember, the 5th of November - 09/21/06 07:22 PM
Nick, why won't your wife watch it? (not that it's any of my business! ) Maybe she thinks it's a "guy" movie(?). I wasn't interested in it at first either, but I gave it a chance and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Tell her I highly recommend it...as if she really cares!
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Remember, remember, the 5th of November - 09/22/06 12:56 AM
Quote:

Nick, why won't your wife watch it? (not that it's any of my business! ) Maybe she thinks it's a "guy" movie(?). I wasn't interested in it at first either, but I gave it a chance and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Tell her I highly recommend it...as if she really cares!

I was watching a little of the behind the scenes stuff and she saw some of the "blood effects" which she didn't like. She has always been somewhat of a softie on that kind of thing.
Posted By: GregM Re: Remember, remember, the 5th of November - 10/03/06 06:10 PM
I did not care for the movie much at all. Maybe it was the diminutive Nicotine Portman, but I think it was V himself.

I just can't get over his mask. For one the hair on the mask had a very feminine look to it. But what I could not come to terms with was that the maks obscurred the lower part of his face. Because of that you could not see his mouth move when he talked. Also, there were no facial expressions to go with the dialog. V was very well spoken and delivered some impressive lines, but without the face to go with them, they fell flat.

A faceless character works okay in a movie like Halloween where the character, in this case Michale Meyers, doesn't speak at all. But it doesn't work for a character like V. There is a reason Batman's mask doesn't obscure his face. Thumbs down.

Greg
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Remember, remember, the 5th of November - 10/03/06 08:17 PM
I think you missed the point of the mask. He's supposed to be entirely faceless. Is a ginormous symbol that some English major with too much time on his hands could write a paper about.
Posted By: GregM Re: Remember, remember, the 5th of November - 10/04/06 02:14 PM
Quote:

I think you missed the point of the mask. He's supposed to be entirely faceless. Is a ginormous symbol that some English major with too much time on his hands could write a paper about.

Faceless only works for a character that can't talk.

Missing the point here is like saying Adam Sandler is stupid and not funny at all but I am missing the point and should watch his movies anyway.

I guess we just disagree.

Greg
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Remember, remember, the 5th of November - 10/04/06 02:26 PM
Disagreement is acceptable. We're only talking about opinions, after all.
Are not.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Remember, remember, the 5th of November - 10/04/06 05:52 PM
Are(se).
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Remember, remember, the 5th of November - 10/05/06 03:07 AM
I finally got around to watching this movie. It was entertaining, but not an "awesome" movie in my book. I loved the symbolism, and whole anti-government theme, with ties into Nazism, etc... All very good. Hugo does a great job as V, but I think that V could have been better. It really takes some outstanding efforts to pull off a character that is masked 100% of the time in the movie (at least that we see). It was done well, but not great in that aspect.

This is where the comic has the advantage. It is snapshots, not live action, where the comic doesn't show animation, and a still, non-moving mask can be done. In a movie, it is extremely difficult.

Now, I don't want to sound all negative. As I said, it was very entertaining, and I think that it is worth a look. The mask is a must have for this character, but again, in a movie, that is just hard to pull off, but HAS to be there in order to fulfill V's persona.
© Axiom Message Boards