Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fredquebec I need your opinion - 10/08/06 06:12 PM
Hello all,

I want to buy an Axiom set for my HT ... The dimension of my HT is 9.7 x 13.8 ... That is not a big room, but it's the biggest that I can do ...

I have no budget limit, but I want to have a good optimized sound in this room ... So, I need advice for a good speaker set up of AXIOM

I will buy an new A/C reveiver later, I have many models in head for the moments ...

Thanks !
Posted By: JasonB Re: I need your opinion - 10/08/06 09:19 PM
What do you plan on using it for (movies, music)? Also, what kind of music do you listen to?

I've heard and am buying the M22's for fronts since they sound excellent and come at a great price. If you listen to a lot of bassy music without a sub, the M3's go a little lower then the M2 or M22's since they have a bigger woofer. For such a small room (mine's small too) M22's are the most you'll really need for fronts. I've been told QS4's are more then enough for that room size, unless you want to future-proof yourself and get the QS8's while you're at it (that's what I'm doing). If you want to save cash, a few people around here suggest using a single bookshelf speaker for a center, otherwise a VP100 would do just fine.

I can't suggest as sub since I'm on the fence for that myself. I'm giving the EP350 a shot, but if for smoe reason if doesn't live up to my expectations, I'm going for an SVS.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: I need your opinion - 10/08/06 09:40 PM
You could always try using Axioms Home Theater Wizzard.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/htw/htw.html

I think if you look at the graphs, the m22's actually have better performance down to 60hz with their two woofers. If you add a sub, it would be great. I don't think you need floorstanding, but you could.
Posted By: fredquebec Re: I need your opinion - 10/08/06 09:49 PM
Thanks for answers ...

It's like 99.9% for cinema ...

I tried the Axiom HT Wizard and they suggested me the biggest one ! So I don't thing that I need the biggest speaker on each categories ...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: I need your opinion - 10/08/06 10:07 PM
Lemme guess... you put in cost as no concern?
Posted By: fredquebec Re: I need your opinion - 10/08/06 10:09 PM
yes ...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: I need your opinion - 10/08/06 10:10 PM
Yeah, that'll do it. I did my best guesses on what you put in, and I see what you mean. I think the realistic option is at the bottom of the page, although I'd go for M22s, and probably a Hsu or SVS sub.
Posted By: fredquebec Re: I need your opinion - 10/08/06 10:17 PM
This is what I personnaly thing about :

Fronts : 2 M22s
Center : 1 VP150
Surround : 4 QS4
Sub : 2 EPV125

I'm not sure for the sub and I realy like a floorstanding speaker than a booksheft one ... But I want to optimized the sound effect in my small room ...
Posted By: SirQuack Re: I need your opinion - 10/08/06 10:59 PM
With a smaller room, you may be better going with just one sub, like the 350, 2 Qs8's instead of 4 Qs4's. You could always prewire the back of the room and when your budget allows get a 6.1 or 7.1 setup. Not much comes out of the rear channels anyway for movies. There have been many people that have purchased the 125's but then later wish they would have upgraded to a bigger sub. Just because your room is smaller, doesn't mean you could not get some 50's or 60's floorstanding. However, I'm sure the 22's would be fine with a sub. My room is 30ft x 31ft and one EP500 sub is fine.
Posted By: fredquebec Re: I need your opinion - 10/08/06 11:26 PM
Right now, I have a PW-2200 of paradigm ... I place it between my Plasma and my left speaker. I thing that I don't like to have to effect just one side a the time ... !!!!

For the M22's, I see that the stand is about 215$ ... Hummm ...
Posted By: SirQuack Re: I need your opinion - 10/08/06 11:48 PM
A subwoofer should be more for LFE (low freq effects) which are "non directional" meaning you can't tell where the sound is coming from, instead of in stereo...it is possible you have your crossover setting to high on your receiver and are picking up the higher freqs. Also, sub performance can change just by moving a sub a few inches. A corner position usually gives you the most output, however, may be boomy or not give you the best overall flat response.

Two subs placed in strategic locations in a room can give you a better balance, but with smaller rooms it may not be needed. Proper position of the sub and/or left/right speakers make a big difference. Also, you may want to look into bass traps and/or mid/high reflection treatments.

You might want to check the audition thread, there are a few people in Quebec, they may be close to you and let you listen to Axioms.
Posted By: fredquebec Re: I need your opinion - 10/08/06 11:56 PM
That's true ...

I looked to your website and your HT is pretty cool !!!

Did you make the accoustic pannels yourself ???
Posted By: SirQuack Re: I need your opinion - 10/09/06 12:06 AM
Yep, here is a good website to get you started understanding about acoustic sound and treatments.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Here is a thread I started which shows somepics and how I built my panels, just read through the pages.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showfla...part=1&vc=1
Posted By: fredquebec Re: I need your opinion - 10/09/06 12:27 AM
Thank you very much ... I'll try to do exactly like you did )
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: I need your opinion - 10/09/06 05:21 PM
Hi Fred, welcome.

Good advice here already.

However, to "do it exactly" like Randy did, you'll have to consume quite a bit of cheap, flavorless American beer. I don't recommend that part, although his room treatments are really fantastic.

If you feel that you want floorstanding speakers, get them. Either the M50 or M60 will be wonderful.

I agree that installing 7.1 in that room does not necessarily make sense. If price is really no object, I would encourage you to look at the Epic 60/500 5.1 system.
Posted By: fredquebec Re: I need your opinion - 10/09/06 11:47 PM
Well ... I want to know if I will see a difference between the VP100 and the VP150 ... Personnaly, I thing that the center is the most important speaker for Home cinema ... I have a realy small room in my big house (25x48)

I always have difficulty with the center ...
Posted By: bridgman Re: I need your opinion - 10/10/06 12:27 AM
For your room size, I don't think you will notice a difference between VP100 and VP150.
© Axiom Message Boards