Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Riker Roxul Mineral wool vs OC Fiberglass - 10/26/06 07:49 PM
Hi Guys,

I can get the Roxul " Safe and Sound" insulation at my local Home Depot for $30CA a bag. They also have some OC stuff but it is the "batting" type and not the rigid fiber glass kind. The Roxul looks pretty good, it's 3 inches thick, by 24" wide by 47" long. I was thinking of using that for my corner superchunks.

Good or bad ?

Stephane
Posted By: royce73 Re: Roxul Mineral wool vs OC Fiberglass - 10/26/06 08:05 PM
If you are building Super Chunks for the corners, it would probably be easier to use the most rigid material. I used Mineral Wool for my corners and it worked very well. Just cut the material into triangles, stack to desired height, and build a wood frame around them. That is what I've seen most "recipes" do for corner traps.
Posted By: Riker Re: Roxul Mineral wool vs OC Fiberglass - 10/26/06 08:16 PM
Thanks Royce,

I guess I should have done a bit more "searching" as I did see a post by Randy where he said he used mineral wool and it worked really good for corner superchunks.

Thanks !!!

Steph
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Roxul Mineral wool vs OC Fiberglass - 10/26/06 08:55 PM
Quote:

Thanks Royce,

I guess I should have done a bit more "searching" as I did see a post by Randy where he said he used mineral wool and it worked really good for corner superchunks."

Thanks !!!

Steph

Steph,

I believe Randy used the OC 703 fiberglass for his superchunks as it is more rigid.

"Based on my research I decided to purchase some Owens Corning 703 Rigid Fiberglass board from a local insulation distributor.

I don't think that mineral wool would work well for superchunks as it is not rigid enough to work with. I could be wrong tho.
Posted By: royce73 Re: Roxul Mineral wool vs OC Fiberglass - 10/26/06 09:00 PM
I used mineral wool for my corners - it is pretty rigid and easy to cut. There is not too much absorption difference between mineral wool and fiberglass. For me, it came down to local availability and cost to ship.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Roxul Mineral wool vs OC Fiberglass - 10/26/06 09:38 PM
Yep Yep Yep For me the OC703 was easier to find locally. Actually the insulation distributor said the at least for them, mineral wool is not used as much anymore. 703 or 705 is easier to work with and I think safer, not sure.
Posted By: jakeman Re: Roxul Mineral wool vs OC Fiberglass - 10/26/06 09:58 PM
The Safe and Sound isn't bad but there are better Roxul products for bass traps. If you check out the technical specs for sound absorption, 3" S & S boards have a Coefficent of 0.52. A better board would be the RXL 60 with a coefficient of 0.78 ( basically a denser board) which is 50% more absorbant than the S & S.

I was able to find some discontinued high density RXL 120 which I used for my basstraps.
Posted By: Riker Re: Roxul Mineral wool vs OC Fiberglass - 10/26/06 10:57 PM
Thanks John, I will check if I can find the better stuff, only want to do this once if I can
© Axiom Message Boards