Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jhunt17 HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/06/06 03:16 PM
Has anyone heard any good htib systems? I love my system and am extremely spoiled, but my father is looking to replace his huge rca htib setup costing $250. I think he wants to stay around $800 at most for speakers and about 200 for a reciever if that. I KNOW. Kinda imposible to get anything, but has anyone heard the Definitive system or the svs for around this price?? I keep trying to get him to go up in quality becuase I know how much more enjoyment he will get out of it. Also ARE there any decent sounding HTIB's around. It seems to me that the speakers that are paired with the newer htib's are worse than those of a few years ago. I think since the power of the recievers are going up and the more electronics that are being added to them have made them use cheaper speakers to keep costs down. Has anyone else noticed this or am have I just got completely spoiled with my setup? Anyway, can anyone jump in on this and let me know what I could recommend to my dad?
Posted By: Hutzal Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/06/06 04:00 PM
Does he have a sub with his current HTIB?

He could keep his current sub and get 5 M3's all around for a 5.1 system for $720 USD from the Factory Outlet.

His other option would be to get 5 M2's for $650, and mabey strech his budget to pick up an Outlaw LFM-2 for about $300 for a total of $950.

The best choice to stay in his budget seems to be keeping his existing sub and getting M3's all around I think. With the upgrade to the M3s all around I think that he will notice a huge improvement over a $250 HTIB.
Posted By: jhunt17 Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/06/06 04:17 PM
I like what you have suggested, but the problem is,his current sub is CRAP!!! It came with the massive 250 rca system. It would help him trememdously to get another one. His sub is a passive, muddy, cruddy, no extension garbled mess. In other words I would like him to get something that allows for bass to actually be heard and not sound like low noise. Anyway, as you all know I would like for him to do something like that, but I doubt I could get him to do that. Thanks, I will mention that too him, but also has anyone heard the difinitive system or the svs system?? Are they comparable, or should I really push him to go the Axiom route. I seriously doubt he would, but OH WELL!! He really loves to listen to it that is for sure. Anyway, keep the comments comming, Oh, What about the Onkyo HTIB's has anyone heard those? Do they have anywhere near good enough quality to be used??? Thanks again everyone!
Posted By: Hutzal Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/06/06 04:44 PM
I don't know much about HTIB, all I know that is anything with HTIB written on it is not usually the best option of spending his money.

If he has "around" an $800 budget, getting 5 x M2's (all vertically positioned including the centre channel) would be better than SVS's 5.1 system speakers. The M2s will crush those SVS speakers no doubt. SVS has not had the 20+ years of experience that Axiom has with speaker development.

There are many options for getting a better sub listed below:

HSU STF-1 $299 Direct from HSU Online (Audioholics review)

Onix X-Sub $199 from AV123.com (Audioholics Review)

Or that outlaw sub previously mentioned.

If your father gets those 5 x M2's plus one of these subs he can stay under or around $950.

5 x M2s plus any of these subs would be better than that SVS 5.1 HTIB system I think.
Posted By: Ajax Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/06/06 05:02 PM
JL, take a look at the x-ls/x-cs 5.1 system from av123. I double guarantee you this system will be a huge step up from his current HTIB. With shipping ($132), and a decent receiver such as a refurbished Onkyo TX-SR503 from eCost.com, it would only take him about $100 above his $1k budget, but I truly believe it would be well worth it.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/06/06 05:05 PM
Maybe you should try one of thebig box stores and look at the subs in the systems. Some are better than others. My daughter bought a Sony system with a sub that didn't sound too bad to her. Of course it doesn't sound all that good to me, but she is happy.
Posted By: jhunt17 Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/06/06 05:07 PM
ok, I definitely like this idea, but how well will that speaker work for a center channel? He has an odd room dimention. A very wide angle for all people sitting in the room plus it is a very large room with openings on all sides. Will everyone hear the center channel alright?
Posted By: Hutzal Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/06/06 05:18 PM
Quote:

ok, I definitely like this idea, but how well will that speaker work for a center channel? He has an odd room dimention. A very wide angle for all people sitting in the room plus it is a very large room with openings on all sides. Will everyone hear the center channel alright?

JohnK has found that a vertically positioned speaker has a wider dispersion of sound. I have no personal hands on experience with this. Mabey give him a PM and ask him about it.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/06/06 06:03 PM
I don't disagree with what's been offered so far. Great suggestions (and good find by Jack on that Onkyo - that's the ticket)

To me - for pure dollar value - I think you'd be hard pressed to beat a Hsu Ventriloquist system at only $527 including shipping and STF-1.

The other thing I've considered for parent-types is the Yamaha sound projectors. They have several models now. If the $799 msrp YSP-800 meeds your needs, you could add the AV123 x-sub and be right at budget (plus shipping) You don't have to buy a receiver, the user interface is good, you don't have to wire surrounds, and it just doesn't get any more aesthetically elegant. I've heard these units several times, and I think they are remarkable.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/06/06 06:19 PM
I like the idea of the HSU system.
Posted By: jhunt17 Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/06/06 07:10 PM
Has anyone heard this system??? If it sounds decent I will recomend it to my dad. I assume the sub is pretty good since I see it being talked about so much.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/06/06 07:54 PM
I heard the Hsu system at an electronics show in Las Vegas a couple (or a few) years ago and was pretty much sold on it -- I was in the market for a home theater audio system at the time. It was still in development, and I was impatient, so I ended up with an Axiom system + SVS subwoofer, instead. I don't regret my decision for a minute, but if you're looking for a great budget system, the Hsu Ventriloquist system knocks the socks off anything remotely close to its price.
Posted By: jhunt17 Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/06/06 08:21 PM
Ok, that sounds great, but here comes a tough question. How would this compare to the earlier idea of using the 5 m2's for the system. I do realize this would add a lot more to the price, but for dollar to sound quality what would everyone think???? I have never heard the m-2 or the HSU obviously so I wonder what the noticeable differences would be.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/06/06 09:03 PM
I feel confident that five M2's would be clearly superior to the Hsu V-12 system, but the costs are not close to comparable; 5 FO M2's with no sub and no brackets cost $120 more than the Hsu system. I'm partial to the Axiom sound, so that's the way I'd go, but it's not my money.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/06/06 09:03 PM
Five M2i's plus the Hsu STF-1 would be a better option in my opinion, but of course it costs more.

If size is an issue, you should be aware that the M2i's are not small speakers. Check out the dimensions. The little satellites that come with the Hsu system are quite small.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/06/06 09:11 PM
>>Ok, that sounds great, but here comes a tough question. How would this compare to the earlier idea of using the 5 m2's for the system. I do realize this would add a lot more to the price, but for dollar to sound quality what would everyone think???? I have never heard the m-2 or the HSU obviously so I wonder what the noticeable differences would be.

The M2v2 has the same driver and tweeter as the M22 bookshelf and is built with top of the line quality drivers.

I forgot to add that if he orders all 5 M2s from the factory outlet that the final cost will be $617.00 USD because of the 5% discount on ordering 5 or more items at once.

Again, the M3s are a better speaker with lower response. If you get 5 M3s all around your dad will have an awsome system. With the 5% discount from the factory outlet, ordering 5 M3s will be $684.00 USD but the downside is that the M3s are pretty hefty speakers in size just so you know.
Posted By: jhunt17 Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/06/06 10:18 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, It looks like the HSU route would probably be more to my dad's price and I think the HSU subs would go a long way to getting a more full sound that I would like him to have. If I could get him to go the axiom route I would, but I think that is just out of his range for what he wants. Am I right to think in this manner. I have seen the reviews for the sub. Would this HSU system sound fuller or would it still sound high becuase of the frequency response it has. What about the sense of envelopment. Does this hsu system do this pretty well? Do the speaker placements have to be dead on to create the proper soundstage for listeners?
Posted By: coltrane Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/06/06 10:20 PM
I'm helping a friend with a similar situation right now. I got him the Onkyo SR503 - looked at ecost ($149) but went with shoponkyo.com for $169 because no shipping or handling fees (was about $25 extra I think). Ecost is OK - I got 2 denon refurbs there - but ecost is getting stingy on returns. The reburb from shoponkyo was packaged and wrapped like new and as far as I can tell in perfect condition.

I have a M22/VP150/QS8/STF-2 system in a 30x15x9 room and I love it. I started with the M22s and sub because music was most important to me, then added the center and surrrounds later for HT. I didn't mind watching movies with the 2 speakers and sub (either as is or using existing speakers on hand for remaining channels), and was all the more pleased when I went to 5.1. I'm not sure how "adjustable" your stated budget is and what the listening priorities are, but the nice thing about this approach is that you have an excellent music system right away and you'll enjoy HT all the more when you add components (after you're hooked and the budget mysteriously opens up). I think M2s for the center and surrounds would work well and make nice gift opportunities.

Back to my friend, I'm recommending a pair of M3s and a STF-1 or 2 to start because music is important to him, we'll use his current speakers for center and surrounds and then we'll see where it goes from there. I haven't heard the Ventriloquist system but every other small speaker system I have heard sounds...small. I have an Athena Micra6 in the bedroom that I got on closeout for $200 and it serves it's purpose well - late night HT without waking the kids, although you can crank it up quite a bit with no distortion. Music on the system is OK but disappointing compared to the Axioms.

Hope this helps. I think the front mains should always be good quality speakers. Good luck.
Posted By: Wid Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/06/06 10:33 PM
The Hsu Vent system would be my recomendation. Pair that with the STF-2 with a grand total of $598. I have had this system since it came out and I still get the wow factor when watching movies. Don't sell it short until you have heard it. It's an amazing system for the price and size.

My brother in law has an Onkyo HTIB and it is no comparison to the Hsu system imo.
Posted By: jhunt17 Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/06/06 10:43 PM
Thank you wid. That was exactly what I was thinking too. I am glad to hear you say that it sounds that good. I will definitely give this idea to dad then. Thanks, again.
Posted By: shag Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/06/06 11:07 PM
I'll just throw my suggestion out there....

Christmas is coming up and you could put in a few bucks on top of what your dad wants to spend and get a better system than his original budget allows.
Posted By: HAY Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/07/06 04:22 AM
Quote:

I'll just throw my suggestion out there....

Christmas is coming up and you could put in a few bucks on top of what your dad wants to spend and get a better system than his original budget allows.

Axiom gift certificates, the perfect gift I'm sure dad deserves it.

Not going to save you much, but another option is to skip the center channel and run as a phantom.
Posted By: JohnK Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/07/06 05:02 AM
JH, I'm late, but as Robb has already pointed out, five M2s with the 10% and 5% discounts would run $617. Add to that the $200 sub and the Onkyo 503. Yes, despite physical appearances a small vertical speaker such as the M2 has wider and smoother horizontal dispersion than a horizontal MTM. You've said that the room is very large, so keep in mind that none of the excellent suggestions made here will really furnish extremely high sound levels, although it'll certainly be more than the present HTIB.
Posted By: coltrane Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/07/06 01:35 PM
Wid or others, can you comment on how you like the HSU Ventriloquist system for music? I know some don't think there is a difference (music vs HT) but I do. It's not too late for me to recommend this to my friend if it is a good all-around performer. Thanks.
Posted By: Wid Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/07/06 10:40 PM
I really haven't done enough music listening with the Hsu system to make an appropriate judgment call about them with music. I use my M80s and a Hsu STF 3 or a set of my headphones for music.
Posted By: jhunt17 Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/08/06 03:04 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. I couldn't get my dad to trust an internet vendor. He wanted to be able to hear everything. First we went to best buy and listened to a yamaha and a denon system htib. Those were the best from there. It was VERY hard to actually listen correctly that is for sure with all the noise and the fact nothing is set up anywhere near correctly. Then we went to Circuit city and found an Onkyo system that just seemed to blow away both of these systems. I can't remember the model, but I set it up for him at his house and it is a HUGE upgrade from that tiny thing he used to have. He seems to like it alot and I can tell a major difference. The bass is so much better along with the overall clarity of his system, but I sure would have loved to have a chance to get him to hear the 5 m2 or the hsu system. I would have loved to hear them so I could get an idea of the differences. Anyway, dad likes his new system and I am going to calibrate it for him tomorrow. I was quite amazed with how open it sounded. It definitley has a cleaner sound. If anyone by chance has heard this onkyo system. It is a 5.1 system with a dvd player. I can't remember the name of the system, but it sells for 799 right now at Circuit city. If anyone has heard that and the hsu ven. system and can give me an idea how they compare??? I would like to know for my benifit. Dad is happy so that is all that matters, but I would like to hear others opinions if they can.
Thanks
Posted By: JohnK Re: HTIB Any good ones??? Or separates??? - 11/08/06 03:36 AM
JH, your dad's happy and so all's well. You probably got the HTS894, and if so, note the special sale price on the web site. You might check with them to see if they'll match that online price.
© Axiom Message Boards