Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jkerrigan M60's and distance to wall - 11/09/06 03:52 AM
Hi all. Just received my Axioms late last week. How far do you have your M60's or M80's from the wall? I know they sound better when they are off the wall but curious if I have them far enough off. Currently, they are 8 inches from the wall.
Posted By: HAY Re: M60's and distance to wall - 11/09/06 04:36 AM
I believe it's been mentioned that only a few inches are needed. From what I remember reading 8" seems to be around the norm and how far mine are.

Of course all rooms are different and it's just a starting point. You'll need to expirement and the biggest factor is having approval from the signifigant other (if applicable)
Posted By: bridgman Re: M60's and distance to wall - 11/09/06 05:02 AM
A few inches seems to be the minimum, and past that the rule seems to be just "the closer they are the more bass reinforcement they get".

I'm really sensitive to emphasized bass (yeah, I have an SVS, what's your point ) so my M60s are about 15" from the wall.

That only makes a difference when I set them to large and listen to music without the sub -- when set to small and use the sub I can stick them closer and it doesn't seem to make much difference.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: M60's and distance to wall - 11/09/06 06:28 AM
The M60's are able to sit closer to the wall than the M80's, when I had the 60's they sounded fine about 5 to 6 inches, I found the M80's in my setup needed about 9 inches.
Posted By: davidsch Re: M60's and distance to wall - 11/09/06 12:51 PM
I have my M60s about 14 inches from the wall. They sound good closer to the wall as well, but like previously mentioned, I would rather not have the bass overemphasized.
Posted By: michael_d Re: M60's and distance to wall - 11/09/06 03:45 PM
No idea how far away they should be. My 80's are about a foot. Just make sure they are not the same distance from the side walls as the back wall. That does tend to make a noticeable difference.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M60's and distance to wall - 11/10/06 12:58 AM
The back of my m60's are about 8-9" from the wall. Axiom has stated to give at least 3-4" to allow the low freq's to filter into the room. The bass is no emphasized for me, that for sure. It is more important that your drivers are not the same distance from the back and side walls.
© Axiom Message Boards