Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Amie Home Theater Projection Screens - 11/17/06 07:04 PM
Just running an informal poll here and would love your feedback.
Posted By: JasonB Re: Home Theater Projection Screens - 11/17/06 09:05 PM
I have a 48" x 64" (80" diagonal) screen.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Home Theater Projection Screens - 11/17/06 09:49 PM
Just hung a new Stewart Firehawk, 40 X 96 – 2.35/1 screen on my wall today. Then my AVR died on me before I even got to try it out…….just my luck. I think it's a time for a shot.....or two, or three.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Home Theater Projection Screens - 11/17/06 09:54 PM
One bourbon, one shot and one beer.
Posted By: gbondioli Re: Home Theater Projection Screens - 11/17/06 11:05 PM
Due to many, many design constraints, I've decided on a 49 X 100 inch Stewart Firehawk (2.04 aspect ratio?). This will allow me to cover as much area (H x W) as possible. I will not have a masking system. I will then adjust picture size based on the source.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Home Theater Projection Screens - 11/17/06 11:11 PM
I thought I saw a duckie and a horsie.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Home Theater Projection Screens - 11/18/06 01:31 AM
I'm running a 49" x 96" piece of Formica and zooming when I go from 2.35 to 1.85 or 1.33 aspect ratio. That works out to roughly :

2.35:1 - 96" x 41", or 104" diagonal

1.85:1 - 91" x 49", or 103" diagonal

Those numbers might not be correct but you get the idea. Anyways, 2.35 and 16:9 movies end up about the same overall size and both are very watchable from the same viewing distance.

EDIT -- I guess that puts me solidly in the 103" diagonal camp. I'm not voting again, that was too much work
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Home Theater Projection Screens - 11/18/06 03:57 AM
Have ordered a 110" 16x9 Screen Research clearpix 2 motorized screen for my parents theater. So far thats the only think left keeping it from being finished. Takes 6 weeks to come custom made from france.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Home Theater Projection Screens - 11/18/06 03:57 AM
OK! How come there are 25 votes for "Have one" and "Hope to get one," but there's 29 total votes for "What size screen do you have/are you getting?"?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Home Theater Projection Screens - 11/18/06 04:04 AM
All the choices were a 1.78 (16:9) aspect ratio, which is for HDTV, so I selected "other". Most DVD's are in 1.85 or 2.35 and abover ratio, like in the theaters.

Anyway, I have a constant height setup, using a 2.35 DIY (Cinemascope) screen which is 51" x 120" and an Anamorphic Lens from Prismasonic, and a HTPC to do the proper scaling to reclaim the lost pixels used by black bars (letterbox) on the top/bottom.

"Constant Height" means that ALL aspect ratios share the same height, just the width changes. It is MUCH easier to mask off the sides of a screen, than the top and bottom, using curtains or whatever.

So standard 4:3 (1.33ar), 1.78 (HDTV), 1.85-2.35+ (DVD's) all share the same height. Once your able to experience a true cinemescope movie with no black bars, just like in the theaters, you will never go back to 16:9 screens.
Posted By: littleb Re: Home Theater Projection Screens - 11/18/06 02:48 PM
This cracks me up. Ken throws a shot in here strictly out of left field, as far as I can tell, and everyone just ignores it and just keeps trucking along about this screen stuff.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Home Theater Projection Screens - 11/18/06 04:36 PM
Quote:

This cracks me up. Ken throws a shot in here strictly out of left field, as far as I can tell, and everyone just ignores it and just keeps trucking along about this screen stuff.

i did not "get" the reference and did not want to seem like i wasn't in "The Know".
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Home Theater Projection Screens - 11/18/06 05:04 PM
I don't know that anyone outside of my family would necessarily get the reference. It's from a Peanuts comic from, oh, probably the 60s or 70s. According to Google, my family has also mangled the line, which should be "I was going to say I saw a duckie and a horsie, but I changed my mind."

Anyway, the kids are lying back watching clouds, and Linus of course pops out with seeing all sorts of miraculous things, and when Lucy turns to Charlie Brown and asks what he saw, that's how he answers.

Everyone bored yet?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Home Theater Projection Screens - 11/18/06 06:05 PM
Ken, if you explained all your jokes they'd be a lot funnier.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Home Theater Projection Screens - 11/18/06 06:42 PM

Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Home Theater Projection Screens - 11/19/06 07:12 AM
I'm living in a dorm room...so put me in the "hope to get one but never going to get one" category.

Hey...most people would never think I could fit a HT in a dorm room...maybe if I had some outside funding *hint hint* *nudge nudge* I could make this world record possible. I mean think, YOU could contribute to an unofficial world record! A full HT in a 170 square foot room!
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Home Theater Projection Screens - 11/19/06 02:57 PM
Quote:

I'm living in a dorm room...so put me in the "hope to get one but never going to get one" category.

Hey...most people would never think I could fit a HT in a dorm room...maybe if I had some outside funding *hint hint* *nudge nudge* I could make this world record possible. I mean think, YOU could contribute to an unofficial world record! A full HT in a 170 square foot room!

I hate to say it, but back when I wasin college, some 12+ years ago, I had the coolest movie setup in my dorm. At that time, the phrase "Home Theater" rally didn't exist.

I had my 27" TV, and front right/center/left and surround right/left speakers all crammed into my dorm room. This was back in the pre-DVD days of VHS and Dolby ProLogic sound. You would be surprised at home many college kids you can cram in to a little dorm room (I don't recall the size of the room, but it was pretty small). Every Friday night was movie night.

So I guess, now that I think about it, I am really on V4.0, not V3.0 of my home theater, if I count my dorm room.

Of course, the sound was great back then, but today I would say it definately stunk compared to my Axioms.
Posted By: mullhead Re: Home Theater Projection Screens - 11/20/06 07:54 PM
I have a 106" 16:9 pull down
Posted By: Bayne Re: Home Theater Projection Screens - 11/23/06 07:26 PM
I recently purchased a 118" Carada Brilliant White screen to replace a 100" Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision screen. The Carada is a better made/designed frame. Its cheaper than the Da-Lite and the customer service was amazing--similar to Axiom.
Posted By: littleb Re: Home Theater Projection Screens - 11/23/06 09:02 PM
You would be surprised at home many college kids you can cram in to a little dorm room (I don't recall the size of the room, but it was pretty small). Every Friday night was movie night.

Are you sure that's what you did on Friday nights? Methinks your not coming clean about your college days. nudge, nudge.

Posted By: GregM Re: Home Theater Projection Screens - 12/01/06 11:37 PM
16:9 106" Pull Down.

Greg
© Axiom Message Boards