Axiom Home Page
Posted By: lorenzo Bad case of Upgrade-itis! Any Advice? - 11/20/06 05:33 AM
Hi all! I've had a 5.1 system for about 5 years but have recently contracted upgrade-itis after buying my first HDTV. Looking at Axioms to upgrade from my Paradigm Mini-Monitor, CC-370 and Jamo E 800 surrounds. My room is 17x12x9 (1800 cubic feet). The "wizard" recommends Epic 60 500 system. I do like by movies and music loud--but would that system be too much? (as in too much for room, not too much money). Also looking to upgrade my 5 year old Denon 1802. Looking at Denon 2807, Yamaha 1700 or 2700 or Pioneer Elite 81 TXV or 82 TXS. Thought on any of my options or other suggestions much appreciated.
Posted By: Typhoon Re: Bad case of Upgrade-itis! Any Advice? - 11/20/06 05:41 AM
Interesting. I'm actually considering the following setup similar to your existing right over the Axiom setup. How does your CC-370 and MiniMonitors sound?

Paradigm CC-370
Paradigm Monitor 7s
Paradigm Minimonitors (surrounds)
Paradigm PS-1000 sub
Posted By: lorenzo Re: Bad case of Upgrade-itis! Any Advice? - 11/20/06 06:01 AM
Hi Typhoon: I have very few complaints about my current set-up. Movie sound is great! I notice a bit of "harshness" when I listen to music (especially classical) at high volumes. But the Paradigm system has served me well--and I'll be sorry to part with it. But I just want more!!
Big speakers are never "too much" for a small room.

They will have a better frequency response, and a better bass response.

The only reason people choose bigger speakers for big areas is because bigger speakers have the ability to play louder.

By all means...trust your upgraditis...go for some M80s!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Bad case of Upgrade-itis! Any Advice? - 11/20/06 06:07 AM
Lorenzo, welcome. Within reason, speakers can never be "too much" for a room, since you play them at the loudness you want; they don't control you. The 60/500 would certainly be excellent and a very substantial improvement over your present setup, but an M22 based setup with a smaller sub would also be good if it fits your budget better.

As to the receiver, again if it fits your budget, the 2700 would be excellent. If you would be interested in something less expensive, the Onkyo 604(available for around $380 from sources such as B&H and 6thAve)is a significant bargain.
Posted By: lorenzo Re: Bad case of Upgrade-itis! Any Advice? - 11/20/06 06:15 AM
Thanks to both John K and magicman for the quick advice! One specific question: How important to the "Axiom sound" is the sub. For example, if I held on to my Paradigm DR-10, would I notice much of a difference with an Axiom Epic 60 or 80 system without the EP 500?
I couldn't find anything about the Paradigm PB-10, but I can safely say that the EP500 will BLOW it out of the water.

The EP500 has a digital amp with technology built into it so that it can't ever be overdriven. It has a DSP chip in it with all of it's 12" driver characteristics programmed in, so it can control the frequency response of the sub so it is nearly flat. It really is an awesome sub. It is definitely one of the very best subs at the $1000 price point.

Also, the Paradigm "Monitor" line really doesn't compare to the quality of the Axiom line. If you read Paradigm's website, the "Monitor" line is referred to as a "value" line. For a more appropriate comparison, the Reference or Signature Paradigm lines compete with the Axioms. However, if you look at the price, the Axioms really shine through as the winner.

Good luck on your audio decisions!
Posted By: Ajax Re: Bad case of Upgrade-itis! Any Advice? - 11/20/06 11:41 AM
Quote:

How important to the "Axiom sound" is the sub. For example, if I held on to my Paradigm DR-10, would I notice much of a difference with an Axiom Epic 60 or 80 system without the EP 500?

Your question really has two answers. First, there is no need to worry about voice matching a subwoofer to the speakers. I don't have Axiom speakers but I use an Axiom EP500 subwoofer. Many who own Axiom speakers use another brand of subwoofer.

Second, based on frequency response alone (Paradigm PDR-10 = 27Hz/Axiom Ep-500 = 19 Hz), I suspect you would notice a substantial (sorry, couldn't resist ) difference between the two. But that difference would have little to do with one being a Paradigm and the other an Axiom.

It's not that the Axiom is a "better" sub (i.e, higher quality), For the money, I'm sure the Paradigm is a competent subwoofer. It's just that the Axiom is designed to do more, and will.

Conclusion. If you're happy with your Paradigm, there is no need to change subs simply because it isn't an Axiom. On the other hand, The EP500 is in a completely different class.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Bad case of Upgrade-itis! Any Advice? - 11/20/06 02:46 PM
Typhoon, just an fyi. The Paradigm Studio lineup is a closer match to Axioms, the monitor series is more of an entry level system. Anyway, I've heard both Monitor and Studio are be replaced anyway.
Quote:

Typhoon, just an fyi. The Paradigm Studio lineup is a closer match to Axioms, the monitor series is more of an entry level system. Anyway, I've heard both Monitor and Studio are be replaced anyway.

It looks like me and sirquack think the same way
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Bad case of Upgrade-itis! Any Advice? - 11/22/06 02:27 AM
Seems to me that the M60/500 combo would be perfect for what you're describing as your room and listening habits. While the M22's would sound terrific, you indicted that you like to listen loudly. You could strain the M22ti's limits if you try pushing them too much in that sized room. I believe you'd give out before the M60's though.

Regarding the sub. A really great sub makes a WORLD of difference, in both music and movie enjoyment. I've not heard the EP500 personally, but it's gotten numerous rave reviews. If it's price is a bit steep for your tastes, I'd highly recommend the Hsu VTF-3. I have heard that one, and it's astounding. (Though I believe there have been some EP500 vs. VTF-3 listening comparisons and the EP500 has come out the winner - of course at nearly twice the price though)

I guess my long winded point is, don't skimp on the sub. You'll regret it.
Posted By: revel22 Re: Bad case of Upgrade-itis! Any Advice? - 12/07/06 05:12 AM
Quote:

I couldn't find anything about the Paradigm PB-10, but I can safely say that the EP500 will BLOW it out of the water.

The EP500 has a digital amp with technology built into it so that it can't ever be overdriven. It has a DSP chip in it with all of it's 12" driver characteristics programmed in, so it can control the frequency response of the sub so it is nearly flat. It really is an awesome sub. It is definitely one of the very best subs at the $1000 price point.

Also, the Paradigm "Monitor" line really doesn't compare to the quality of the Axiom line. If you read Paradigm's website, the "Monitor" line is referred to as a "value" line. For a more appropriate comparison, the Reference or Signature Paradigm lines compete with the Axioms. However, if you look at the price, the Axioms really shine through as the winner.

Good luck on your audio decisions!

IMO the none of the Axiom speakers compete with the Paradigm "Signature" series of speakers. The Sigs pretty much blow the Axioms away.
Posted By: richeydog Re: Bad case of Upgrade-itis! Any Advice? - 12/07/06 05:17 AM
How can you say that if you've never listened to Axiom speakers?

From another thread:
Quote:

I am trying to compare two 5.1 speaker systems. The Paradigm Studio 100's v.4, CC 690 center, ADP 470 surrounds, Servo-15 against the Axiom Epic 80 500 system. I haven't been able to audition the Axioms and no one in my area has them. Have any of you owned both systems and can you give me your thoughts on each. The Paradigm system costs about $6000 after discounts. The Axiom's about $4200. Thanks.

Posted By: Wid Re: Bad case of Upgrade-itis! Any Advice? - 12/07/06 05:23 AM

Cause Richey, they cost more
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Bad case of Upgrade-itis! Any Advice? - 12/07/06 02:37 PM
Hmmm. In quite a few listening tests reported on this forum, the Paradigm signature series were found to be "similarly good" to Axioms. I find your conclusion that the Axioms were blown away to be suspect.
© Axiom Message Boards