Axiom Home Page
Posted By: hangemhigh Question on bookshelves - 12/08/06 02:15 AM
Is it possible to lay any of these bookshelf speekers on there sides to accomadate a cabinet and not compromise the sound ? thanks for any responses
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Question on bookshelves - 12/08/06 02:29 AM
I'll try to respond, but I'm sure others will chime in with a better response. This is only my guess, but sure you can lay a bookshelf down and it will work. However, I think when a speaker is designed, the tweeter is on top for a reason. One being that there may be a design for the way the sound is directed horizontally into the room to achieve a good soundstage. By turning the speaker on its side, this orientation would change. Not sure how much negative effect you would have, and again I'm just guessing here.

I'm sure others will help out, I just think speakers are designed this way for a reason.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Question on bookshelves - 12/08/06 02:53 AM
People have asked about this a number of times, but I don't know many people who have actually tried it. Personally, I'm not going to lay my '50s down on the floor and test it for you, but it could work out, with some compromised imaging.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Question on bookshelves - 12/08/06 04:16 AM
Hangem, welcome. No, a speaker designed to be positioned vertically has a relatively wide and smooth horizontal response and a relatively narrow and bumpy vertical response(hence the emphasis on listening with the tweeter at ear level). When that speaker is positioned horizontally the purpose of the design is significantly compromised and that should be avoided if possible.
Posted By: dllewel Re: Question on bookshelves - 12/08/06 05:16 PM
I agree with all comments above-

but let me point out that the effects of laying "any of these" bookshelf speakers on their side, will be similar to laying any manufacturers bookshelf on its side.

Of course it will work, you have to decide- the Axioms would be great speakers none-the-less.
Posted By: Robert_W Re: Question on bookshelves - 12/09/06 06:41 PM
Just to throw a bit of a bug into this mix, I have the M3's with a VP100 mounted to the ceiling in the bedroom. I originally designed the room this way and thought it wouldn't be a problem. The only speaker mounts that I could find that would work, and the only mounts that Axiom themselves recommended were from Omnimount. They only allowed for horizontal placement. There was no mount to be found that would allow vertical placement from the ceiling for the M3's.

As far as the sound goes, it seems to be fine. I just had to be very careful of alignment of the vertical and horizontal plane. As this was for listening in the same position all the time, in bed, it didn't make much of a difference. But had the scenerio been different and if I had wanted to hang the vertically then I would be SOL.

Axiom now offers, they didn't at the time of my purchase, a ceiling bracket that looks a little stouter than the Omnimounts that I ended up with. But they still only work with the bookshelves in a horizontal position. Now if they are reading this, I'd buy 3 in a heart beat if the allowed for Vertical placement of the M3's.....hint hint.
© Axiom Message Boards