Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ScottTAG Help me decide on a subwoofer - 12/12/06 12:05 AM
I have decided on the M60v2's for my fronts, VP150v2 for my center, and a pair of QS8v2's (2 more to come later). Should I go with an Axiom sub or one of SVS cylinder subs? Room layout prevents me from a good sub placement. Behind the couch would work well for me but I am concerned about a standard sub firing into the couch. Last but not least I will either buy the Denon 2807 or the Outlaw 1070. I like the outlaw better but concerned about the 65 vs 100 watts per channel. Honest help would be appreciated.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Help me decide on a subwoofer - 12/12/06 12:08 AM
EP500 hands down.

If you don't want to lay down the cash for an EP500, consider looking at HSU or SVS subs.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Help me decide on a subwoofer - 12/12/06 12:11 AM
I wouldn't worry about the WPC rating. The Axiom speakers are relatively sensitive, and unless you're going to be driving to high levels, 65 WPC should be quite sufficient. Also, I think Outlaw is one of the few (like Harman/Kardon) that test all channels driving for their rating. In other words, some companies (I don't know if this includes Denon) test only one channel to get the WPC rating.

If you can afford the EP500, do it. Hands down.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Help me decide on a subwoofer - 12/12/06 12:11 AM
Hey Scott,

So your saying you have no options for placing a sub near the front of the room near the mains, or possibly a side wall location? You have not given us the size of your room, but I am not a big fan of placing a single sub behind the listening couch. Now if you had two subs, you could have one near the front, and one near the back. To me, you get a much better blend of low freq's with your sub somewhat near your mains.

Also, keep in mind, the driver on the sub does not really have to aim at the listeners, as about 80hz and down is non directional. I would not put the driver right up against something though.

To me it was important for all my speakers to have the same finish, so I ordered an Axiom sub..
Posted By: Wid Re: Help me decide on a subwoofer - 12/12/06 12:27 AM

Without room size and budget there's no way to know what to recommend.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Help me decide on a subwoofer - 12/12/06 12:29 AM
I'm running the same system (60s/150/QS8s) you are considering with an older HK AVR320, about 55 watts per channel. It can play louder than I need it to. Thats in about a 17'x22'x8' high room.

If you like the Outlaw go for it!
Posted By: ScottTAG Re: Help me decide on a subwoofer - 12/12/06 01:03 AM
Thank you all for the advice. Room size is 15' x 14'. Does this make a difference?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Help me decide on a subwoofer - 12/12/06 01:12 AM
OK, let's go for budget. That's a pretty small room; I probably wouldn't put an EP500 in there.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Help me decide on a subwoofer - 12/12/06 01:47 AM
The size of the room can make a huge difference on what speakers you select, sub included. Four of your room would fit in my room.
Posted By: JasonB Re: Help me decide on a subwoofer - 12/12/06 03:21 AM
What's wrong with a small room and the EP500? I'll have it in a 11'x17' temporarily until I move out... am I jeopardizing the structural integrity of my house
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Help me decide on a subwoofer - 12/12/06 03:26 AM
Nothing at all, it will huff and puff and blow your walls down.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Help me decide on a subwoofer - 12/12/06 04:52 AM
Quote:

OK, let's go for budget. That's a pretty small room; I probably wouldn't put an EP500 in there.

Why the heck not?

A sub is never "too big" for a room. A bigger sub just means deeper, cleaner bass. While bigger rooms require bigger and better subs, most people buy big subs for big rooms only because they are necessary to create sufficient bass.

If you have a small room, anything goes, it's just that there is going to be a lot more subs that are going to be "sufficient" for a room of that size.
Posted By: Daphoid Re: Help me decide on a subwoofer - 12/12/06 09:14 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Why the heck not?

A sub is never "too big" for a room. A bigger sub just means deeper, cleaner bass. While bigger rooms require bigger and better subs, most people buy big subs for big rooms only because they are necessary to create sufficient bass.

If you have a small room, anything goes, it's just that there is going to be a lot more subs that are going to be "sufficient" for a room of that size.

Very true! I have a SVS PB12-Plus/2 (two 12" drivers, weighs 140lbs for those that aren't farmiliar) and it's in a 20' x 14' room and my theater is only taking up half that room, and it works just fine

I haven't heard the new Axiom subs (EP500/600) but when I bought my Axioms back in 2004 I was told SVS/Hsu would be me better bang for the buck over the lower end axioms, and that was directly from Axiom. They've improved since then I'm sure, you'll be happy with whatever you get I'm quite sure.

Is there any way you could take pictures of your room? tell us why you can only put it behind the couch?

- D
Posted By: Wid Re: Help me decide on a subwoofer - 12/12/06 04:46 PM
Could it be the person has a set budget to follow. Before we make wild recommedations and spend all his money let's see what he's will to spend.
Posted By: HAY Re: Help me decide on a subwoofer - 12/12/06 05:04 PM
Quote:

Room layout prevents me from a good sub placement. Behind the couch would work well for me but I am concerned about a standard sub firing into the couch.

How do you know the placement will not be good? Have you done any tests or is it what you presume?

The HSU should work great in this placement as DR HSU usually recommends "near field placement". On their web site you can fill out a Form which will include your room layout. They will respond with what sub they suggest and the placement.

I don't think you need to worry about the sub firing in to the couch and for the HSU it is down firing. I really like it behind my couch as it also works like a bass shaker

The EP500 is also another solid choice if your budget allows. I've played with both and would give the edge to the EP500 but the cost didn't warrant it for me. I'm very happy with my VTF3-MKII
Posted By: KC23 Re: Help me decide on a subwoofer - 12/13/06 03:56 PM
Another vote for EP500. A subwoofer that good is a very very long term purchase ... as in at some point in your life you will likely put it in a larger room.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Help me decide on a subwoofer - 12/13/06 04:01 PM
Add my vote for a GREAT sub, the EP500.
Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: Help me decide on a subwoofer - 12/13/06 04:45 PM
EP 500 all the way. I don't even have the gain more than 30%, and the room shakes with bass!
© Axiom Message Boards