Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ajax Daddy needs a new pair of HSUs - 12/12/06 11:19 PM
There are more doggone new subwoofers hitting the market, some of them at very reasonable prices. Jeez!

New Hsu Subs
Posted By: Wid Re: Daddy needs a new pair of HSUs - 12/12/06 11:24 PM
I was just checking out all the new products over at Hsu. Looks like the good Dr. has been pretty busy.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Daddy needs a new pair of HSUs - 12/12/06 11:39 PM
Can someone explain the concept of the MBM to me?
Posted By: Ajax Re: Daddy needs a new pair of HSUs - 12/12/06 11:58 PM
I hope this won't be interpreted as advertising. I make this post to simply support my statement about all the activity in the subwoofer world.

Here is an upcoming subwoofer from another company. Look at the size of this beast - 23 3/8" wide x 25" tall x 30" deep - around 200 lbs.

It has what I consider to be a rather unique design - an internally mounted 15" active driver (inside the box, you can see the baffle that will hold this driver), and 3 18" passive radiating drivers, one on each side and one in the front. The square opening in the back is for the amplifier.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Daddy needs a new pair of HSUs - 12/12/06 11:59 PM
That's certainly a different design. I've never been too sure about passive radiators, though. Not for any good reason, but...
Posted By: Ajax Re: Daddy needs a new pair of HSUs - 12/13/06 12:02 AM
Well, as I understand it, the passive radiators kinda act like ports, but there is some alleged advantage to passive radiators over ports. Of course, I don't know what the heck ports do either.

The sub is designed by Mark Seaton who is a very well respected sub designer. He has his own sub design coming out soon as well. Both it, and the sub above will be retailing at $2000. OUCH! I can't keep up with all these new subs. Sheesh!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Daddy needs a new pair of HSUs - 12/13/06 12:08 AM
Jack, that sub is one BMF'er.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Daddy needs a new pair of HSUs - 12/13/06 12:27 AM
And that's exactly what the acronym stands for.

Somebody is going to have to explain to me how you maneuver a 200 lb. subwoofer by yourself. Do you have a basement theater? Good luck getting this beast down the stairs!

And, what about the sub crawl method of finding the right place for the subwoofer. I can see setting the subwoofer in my chair and watching the poor springs sag to the floor before I can even begin the crawl.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Daddy needs a new pair of HSUs - 12/13/06 12:37 AM
And to think I'm worring about getting two 65 lb boxes up the 3 steps to my door...
Posted By: richeydog Re: Daddy needs a new pair of HSUs - 12/13/06 01:21 AM
And to think that some of these guys 'over there' are waiting to put a pair of BMF's($$$) in their rooms...

I think that I'll stick to something smaller and lighter(on the wallet) thank you!
© Axiom Message Boards