Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme When will they learn? - 12/29/06 06:48 PM
HD DVD copy protection encryption hacked.

When will they learn? The easier they make content available to consumers, the more they will sell. Money spent on copy protection is wasted, as there will ALWAYS be a hacker that can bust it.

Bunch of numbnuts if you ask me.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: When will they learn? - 12/29/06 06:51 PM
Oh, they've learned. They've learned to manipulate the government to make fair use illegal.

However, I agree with your real point. More money to be made through more availability. I'd sure be buying more.
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: When will they learn? - 12/29/06 09:27 PM
Another point to note is that if they didn't spend all that money trying to protect what cannot be protected, their overhead would greatly decrease, they could then drop their prices and people would be more inclined to purchase.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: When will they learn? - 12/29/06 09:44 PM
<points and laughs> He said drop prices!
Posted By: Jim_Perkins Re: When will they learn? - 12/29/06 11:44 PM
I was under the impression that the new devices had to have upgradable firmware. I envisioned when the encryption was cracked that subsequent DVD releases would hvae the updated encryption scheme included on the disc.
IE: "thanks for your purchase of "Rocky X", please wait while your DVD player is updated to the latest version of encryption. Well they may just call it 'bug fixes' or 'enhancements'. I guess it hinges on who's perspective you are standing in.

More than likely they arent this organized and you will bring an new movie home and it wont play. Then you will have to go to the Manuf website, download the firmware, burn it to disk, and update your DVD Player before you can watch the new movie.

All this is just wild ass conjecture on my part, but overall I expect a system rivaling what has been going on in the Satellite tv market for years. I doubt they will get burned again as bad as this round.

I'd like to see an updated "fair use law" and variable punishment for violating it, dependant on whether it was for profit or not.

Randy
Posted By: bray Re: When will they learn? - 12/30/06 01:00 AM
Quote:

More than likely they arent this organized and you will bring an new movie home and it wont play. Then you will have to go to the Manuf website, download the firmware, burn it to disk, and update your DVD Player before you can watch the new movie.

Wow the future is really bright!
Cant wait.

I wonder if BR will be as easy to hack??
Posted By: Jim_Perkins Re: When will they learn? - 12/30/06 01:59 AM
well i thought i would see what was really happening as oppossed to my mental transgressions

AACS interim aggreement
selected quotes from this 10 month old article

However it came to be, the AACS-LA has reached an interim agreement that will allow device manufacturers on either side of the divide to push ahead with producing products. The major hurdle that has been cleared relates to encryption keys: that part of the specification is apparently finished, and companies can now apply for the keys needed in order to lock down their wares

Toshiba is still hoping that units will be on shelves by March 28, but because of the timing of this latest AACS delay, players will likely need to be upgraded in order to actually play HD DVD content. That's right: you may pick up your sweet, new HD DVD player only to find out that it needs a firmware upgrade to operate.

At this time, it is unclear how that upgrade will be delivered, but Toshiba may be in a position to include optical discs with the needed updates at the time of sale. Nevertheless, the fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants approach being displayed by nearly all members of the AACS is alarming. Given the all-encompassing nature of AACS, one might hope that its development and implementation would see its final stages carried out without such haste and in-fighting.

some more related babble from

something i found with google . undated

Can you explain a little bit about BD+ - it's an additional security measure designed just for Blu-ray isn't it?

BD+ was designed to be our crowning glory. It's an encryption scheme, but a dynamic one. The thing about DVD encryption was that once cracked that was it - game over. With BD+ however you've got a form of dynamic encryption. This way the encryption algorithm can be changed on newly released disks should the original encryption be cracked - it stops the entire format from being unlocked in one fell swoop. It's good, but it's actually a bit watered down though. The version we really wanted would have required the player to be constantly connected to the Internet so that if security measures appear to be breached the content providers could send that player a firmware update to rendering it unusable - think of it as a kind of self destruct code. Like I say: it was designed to be our crowning glory. Maybe next time...

well thats enough in my mind to realize i wastn too far off track. I am going to hold off for awhile.

Randu
© Axiom Message Boards