Axiom Home Page
Posted By: JasonEuc Emotiva LMC-1 Pre/pro or LPA-1 amp? - 01/05/07 05:30 PM
I have just received notification that I won a $100 credit to Emotiva audio (contest on another site). So, my question is which would you choose for $400, the 6/7 channel LPA-1 amp or the LMC-1 pre/pro?

My current receiver is an aging Rotel RSX-965 (5.1 channel), which does all the processing I need (DD, DTS, PL, none).

I'm leaning towards using the Rotel as the pre/pro and adding the LPA-1, rather than using the LMC-1 as the pre/pro and using the Rotel RSX-965 amps.

My room is medium size, 14x15x9, but very open to our "den". Surrounds are only on the back wall at the moment, and I honestly do not have plans on upgrading to a 7.1 system (come to think of it, I still don't have the .1 part...).

Any comments or reasons to not choose the amp over the pre/pro?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Emotiva LMC-1 Pre/pro or LPA-1 amp? - 01/05/07 05:47 PM
This really does not answer your question, but I should have my MPS-1 chassis and two emp-300 monoblocks on Monday. I took this path as I could expand with future mono's or the 2-channel epm-2150 as time/budget permits. Plus it is a class H amp. For 700 bucks, not a bad start. I will be using my Denon as the Pre and drive the 80's for now.
Posted By: richeydog Re: Emotiva LMC-1 Pre/pro or LPA-1 amp? - 01/05/07 07:11 PM
I would hold off on the lmc-1 right now until the few remaining quirks are taken care of. Your Rotel should make a nice prepro for the time being.

I would lean toward the amp. It's already a bargain at $500. Reduce that by $100 and you're approaching the "I felt like I stole this" territory.

Or...you could always buy one of those BPA-1's and hook up a pair of bookshelves for a 2 channel setup.

If that doesn't interest you, send the $100 coupon my way. I'll be happy to use it.
Posted By: dennisdxl32 Re: Emotiva LMC-1 Pre/pro or LPA-1 amp? - 01/07/07 12:43 AM
Definitely go with the LPA-1. I'm not aware of any 6-7 channel amp for new at its price point. It's already a steal at $500, and congrats on getting it for even less! Unless you're unwilling to use a receiver as a pre/pro, there are some receivers out there that can compete with the LMC-1 on price and features.
© Axiom Message Boards