Axiom Home Page
Posted By: kakaxbox Is there a big diffrence? VP100 vs VP150. - 01/08/07 11:37 PM
Hi I'm getting my M60 v2 tomorrow and was wondering if it is worth it to get vp150 v2 to match the mains. Are there a big enough improvement to justify the upgrade from a VP100 v2?

Here is my setup going to be in a few day:

M60 v2 fronts
VP100 v2 Center
M3ti v2 surrounds main
Qs4 v2 back surrounds
VTF3-MK3 subwoofer
Harmon Kardon avr340
I would say try the 100 for a bit and see what you think. A lot depends on your room size, and seating locations. If you have a larger room with the potential to have many people at any given showing, the 150 might be better.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Is there a big diffrence? VP100 vs VP150. - 01/08/07 11:42 PM
It will all depend on the size of your room.

If your goal is to match the mains to the centre channel, the VP100 will suit you just fine, it has the same tweeters and drivers as the M60s.

As for the rest of your setup, I would suggest putting the QS4's as your side surrounds (as this is where most of your surround sound will be coming from) and the M3s at the back. The rear surrounds are only of use if you are listening to 6.1 or using Dolby PLIIx or some other decoder.
Quote:

I would say try the 100 for a bit and see what you think. A lot depends on your room size, and seating locations. If you have a larger room with the potential to have many people at any given showing, the 150 might be better.

No its quite a small room, its actually a bedroom not a dedicated home theater room.
Quote:

It will all depend on the size of your room.

If your goal is to match the mains to the centre channel, the VP100 will suit you just fine, it has the same tweeters and drivers as the M60s.

As for the rest of your setup, I would suggest putting the QS4's as your side surrounds (as this is where most of your surround sound will be coming from) and the M3s at the back. The rear surrounds are only of use if you are listening to 6.1 or using Dolby PLIIx or some other decoder.

Thanks for the tip! I will be switching the qs4 and m3ti around.
I didn't even catch that....definately you want the Q's for the sides.
Quote:

I didn't even catch that....definately you want the Q's for the sides.

Okay will do, btw which decoder option should I use to fully use 7.1 sound for movies? Will Logic 7, DTS-Neo or prologic II work?
On my Denon, I always use the Dolby PLIIx mode for Dolby 5.1 movies as most of my DVD's don't have the DTS soundtrack. I think Logic 7 is specific to HK receivers so not sure how that compares. If you have DVD's with the DTS soundtrack you might try both the DTS Neo versus the Logic 7 to see what is best.

Have fun and enjoy.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Is there a big diffrence? VP100 vs VP150. - 01/09/07 12:17 AM
>>No its quite a small room, its actually a bedroom not a dedicated home theater room>>

How far from the back wall will your primary listening position be? Unless you are at least 3-4 ft, using direct radiating speakers may not be the best choice.

I know mdrew is pretty close to his back wall and has M3s as his rears, mabey he can chime in. Since your QS4's will be reflecting their sound off the back wall, that may provide enough surround for you.

just a thought
Quote:

>>No its quite a small room, its actually a bedroom not a dedicated home theater room>>

How far from the back wall will your primary listening position be? Unless you are at least 3-4 ft, using direct radiating speakers may not be the best choice.

I know mdrew is pretty close to his back wall and has M3s as his rears, mabey he can chime in. Since your QS4's will be reflecting their sound off the back wall, that may provide enough surround for you.

just a thought

I will be really close to the m3ti for back surrounds and bassicly laying against the wall. My listening position is between the back surrounds.
if you lay against the back wall then 5.1 is all you need, put the QS4 on far back of the side wall and see how you like them.
Quote:

Okay will do, btw which decoder option should I use to fully use 7.1 sound for movies? Will Logic 7, DTS-Neo or prologic II work?

I'm not completely sure, but with your HK 340, I think Logic 7, DTS-Neo, and prologic II will only work for 2.0 sources.

For movie watching, use Dolby Pro Logic IIx, which will take a 5.1 signal and turn it into a 7.1 signal.
I just found out that I have to use the m3ti as my main surrounds, due to space. The Qs4 and its stands, fits perfectly against the wall, while the m3ti are better on the side of the bed, because its stand is so wide. Is this bad?
Hey thanks! Now I know what to decoder to use.
Quote:

if you lay against the back wall then 5.1 is all you need, put the QS4 on far back of the side wall and see how you like them.

5.1 all i need? Man I shouldn't order those 2 extra speaker cables, oh wells. If thats the case then now I have 2 extra speakers. What do you suggest sell the m3ti on Ebay?
Use them with your PC.
How do you do that?
If you don't want the speakers, you can return them to Axiom, no questions asked, as long as your within the 30day guarantee.
Quote:

If you don't want the speakers, you can return them to Axiom, no questions asked, as long as your within the 30day guarantee.

Actually have had the m3ti v2 for over 5 months now LOL. Well its on Ebay now... oh well.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Is there a big diffrence? VP100 vs VP150. - 01/09/07 03:10 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Actually have had the m3ti v2 for over 5 months now LOL. Well its on Ebay now... oh well.

You could use the M3s as mains and return the M22s, the M3s will be more than enough for your room size I think.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Is there a big diffrence? VP100 vs VP150. - 01/09/07 05:56 PM
disregard my last post, looks like I am on crack...you ordered M60s!

In addition to that...

>>5.1 all i need? Man I shouldn't order those 2 extra speaker cables, oh wells. If thats the case then now I have 2 extra speakers. What do you suggest sell the m3ti on Ebay?>>

I think you should try using your M3s as side surrounds in a 5.1 setup, then compare them with the QS4s. IF you don't find the QS4's being much different than the M3s for side surrounds (in your placement and room), you could return the QS4s and get some extra cash!

Just one way of returning some of the speaker you bought.
© Axiom Message Boards