Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jazzrascal Economical but accurate subwoofer? - 01/25/07 01:30 PM
Hi

I'm new to the forum and am eagerly awaiting a new pair of M22's (should be here today). I'm a semi-retired jazz musician on a budget and living in an apartment, I mostly listen to jazz, easy listening and vocal tracks and am seeking your advice on an inexpensive, yet accurate subwoofer. I do listen to home theatre (about 50%),but being in an apt room shaking bass is not a requirement.

Is there something that may be a few years old that I might pickup on EBay, that will provide accurate bass to fill out my m22's?

thanks
Doug
http://thejazzrascals.com
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Economical but accurate subwoofer? - 01/25/07 02:52 PM
If you are looking for a very cheap solution, I would recommend the Rocket X-Sub which can be had for very cheap ($199) and has an amazing price/performance ratio.

Here is the review from Audioholics.com giving the sub a 4.5 stars out of 5.
Posted By: Wid Re: Economical but accurate subwoofer? - 01/25/07 03:04 PM
That is a nice little sub, my son has one. I wonder what shipping to Canada would be? You could check out Canuck audio mart for a used one.
Posted By: jazzrascal Re: Economical but accurate subwoofer? - 01/26/07 04:22 AM
Well my M22's came today and I've spent the day going through my mp3 files and CD's - the tweeter's still a bit bright, but I'm sure it will improve as I get more hours on it.

Thanks Hutzal and Rick for your responses, I checked out the Onix sub and it just might be a solution.

I am looking for cheap (although I prefer to use the term economical LOL). I don't have much of a budget, but I know that most inexpensive subs just make noise, and I wouldn't want one of those in my system - it must be musical and it doesn't have to work too hard, as it's mainly for music at moderate volume.

I checked Canuck but didn't see any that might fit the bill - wil keep checking tho - again thanks for your input.

Doug
Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: Economical but accurate subwoofer? - 01/26/07 02:02 PM
jazzrascal, keep in mind the M22's (and all Axiom speakers) are very accurate, and combined with the poor quality of mp3 files (especially in the high range) you will get a less than optimal experience. At least that is what I have experienced.
Posted By: thyname Re: Economical but accurate subwoofer? - 01/26/07 02:47 PM
Quote:

the tweeter's still a bit bright, but I'm sure it will improve as I get more hours on it.

Oops! Wrong place to post this...
Posted By: jakewash Re: Economical but accurate subwoofer? - 01/26/07 04:47 PM
Quote:

Well my M22's came today and I've spent the day going through my mp3 files and CD's - the tweeter's still a bit bright, but I'm sure it will improve as I get more hours on it.

Its not so much the tweeter is bright as the Source is just a little bit too hot in that area.

Have you noticed the CD's sounding a little better than the MP3's? I know I do. Nothing but CD's for me on my system. Mp3's sound a little hollow, missing something or as you said a little bright. My cd's of the same music sound better.
Posted By: JasonEuc Re: Economical but accurate subwoofer? - 01/26/07 05:16 PM
The Hsu STF-2 is currently $320 ($350 shipped). Just another to consider.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Economical but accurate subwoofer? - 01/26/07 09:13 PM
The STF-1 might even fit the bill.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Economical but accurate subwoofer? - 01/26/07 09:52 PM
Hi Doug! I'm quite happy with my M22's and a cheap Yamaha YST-SW215 8" subwoofer that I bought at Best Buy for around $90. However, it's difficult to find now and might not be powerful enough to fill your room. Another suggestion which is readily available and is getting great reviews is the Sony SA-WM250. Hope that helps! Enjoy your new speakers!
Posted By: jazzrascal Re: Economical but accurate subwoofer? - 01/26/07 11:58 PM
Thanks everybody for the info:

Regarding the lower quality of MP3's as opposed to CD - I realize that the sound is not near as good on MP3, but I have literally thousands stored on my puter, many are old jazz recordings that were converted from vinyl, so quality wasn't that great to start with.

I did wonder down to the record shop today and picked up a Sarah Brightman (Voice of an angel) and Diana Krall (another Canadian makes good And I definitely did notice a huge difference in the sound quality.

I checked out the HSU subs and also the Sony, either of which could be a viable option, I used to own a Velodyne CHT12, but gave it to my son when I moved into the apartment - it would have definitely been overkill in my small space.

thanks again for the posts.

Doug
http://www.thejazzrascals.com
© Axiom Message Boards