Axiom Home Page
Posted By: VikingShips new OPPO 981HD - 02/09/07 04:08 AM
Thought some of you might want another opinion on the OPPO 981HD upconverting DVD player. OPPO

I recently (finally) bought an HD TV (Westinghouse 32" 720p LCD), and was quite pleased with it. Couldn't resist when it went on sale for $700, and it just fits into the cabinet the wife insists we use. (I insist, however, that the speakers are properly placed...) However, playing DVDs on my Marantz DV4400 resulted in a less than full screen picture because of the SD -480i - output, even though the TV would stretch it from side to side but not up and down. Figuring I should 'future proof' myself, I decided to get the OPPO 981 since it would handle upconversion to 1080p. It's quite reasonable at only $230.

It has the HDMI jack for all the upconversion to HD resolutions (digital), and also has a composite and S-vidio jacks at 480i (analog); but no component out jacks. There's also a bunch of audio outs (5.1) for those who are also using it for SACD and DVD audio. Of course, there's the usual digital audio out (coax and fiber optic). There's a ton of menu choices for customising your output, both video and audio, but most of them are fine at default.

I was hoping for a faster load on the DVD, since it is a new piece of equipment, but it seems to load about the same speed as my other DVD players. Now, the picture is absolutely awesome! Of course, I'm comparing to my former smallish SD TV (21"). Transition speed from layer to layer isn't noticeable, whereas the older players the picture sort of froze for a couple of seconds. Detail is beautifully fine, without seeming grainy. 'Course, that could be partly the TV as well.

I guess you could say I'm pleased with my recent acquisitions..... Hope this is helpful to those of you looking for a new DVD player.
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: new OPPO 981HD - 02/09/07 04:39 AM
Thanks for the review.

I'd like to know, how quiet does your unit run? I currently have a similar Samsung player, however I find it is noisy and it gets annoying at lower listening volumes, or softer music.

I'm also curious to know - does it decode DTS and HDCD, and then send that through the analog outputs, or is it just able to pass it through HDMI or optical outs?
Posted By: VikingShips Re: new OPPO 981HD - 02/09/07 05:04 AM
I haven't tried playing music on it yet, however, I haven't heard anything from it while playing DVDs once the tray closed. It will handle all the Dolby Digital & DTS types out there. The manual lists compatible disc types as: DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, SACD, CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, DivX, CD-R/RW, DVD+-R/RW, DVD+R DL. It also handles NTSC and PAL video formats, and can be set to region 0, to handle any DVD you can find...

Audio output is listed as Analog out: stereo and 5.1; Digital out: coaxial and optical. The HDMI also carries audio, which would have to be digital (whatever format - DD or DTS - is on the disc). You seem to be able to pick up the audio at whatever output jack you choose to use, HDMI, digital or analog.

Check out the manual for complete specs HERE.
Posted By: ctown Re: new OPPO 981HD - 02/09/07 05:44 AM
Congrats, I have heard nothing but great reviews on the Oppo upconverting player.

I myself have a Panasonic S77, which is a newer version of the S97, both of which use the same faroujda processor to upconvert. I also read the Denon (1920 I think) is a great player.

The Oppo is consistently considered the best upconverting DVD player in reviews.
Posted By: Cintel7 Re: new OPPO 981HD - 02/09/07 08:43 AM
I got the OPPO 981HD (1080p - $230) a few days and HAD Samsung (1080i - $100). There is no competition, image on OPPO is sharper and more vivid. There were no graininess or pixelation with OPPO, not unless you are using compressed burned copies of original source. The Samsung has noticible graininess even on original sources. I returned the Samsung to Best Buy.

I just got Musiland MD10 DAC today so I am going to test it out as a transport. I will also test out the DTS decoder against my Marantz 4600.
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: new OPPO 981HD - 02/09/07 03:56 PM
I picked up a 281 to go with my 1080P JVC. I have had no issues with noise, macroblocking, artifacting, anything. DVD load time is not something I have ever thought about so it doesn't bother me. Sharp picture, good color, a bargain at $230. My Sony 5-disc CD/SACD changer is now just a CD player since the Oppo does SACD and DVD-A as well.

As far as DTS via analog output, I don't know as I haven't tried. I have DVDs output via digital coax and the Denon 2805 does the decoding. I do have 5.1 channel analog hooked up for SACD/DVD-A playback. Oppo has their manuals readily available online. Your answer probably can be found there.
Posted By: jefft Re: new OPPO 981HD - 02/09/07 04:06 PM
I had an OPPO 971, which was great. I ordered a 981 earlier this week, which is slated to arrive tomorrow (Sat)! I can't wait!
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: new OPPO 981HD - 02/09/07 04:34 PM
Oops! Transposition! I of course meant 981.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: new OPPO 981HD - 02/09/07 05:14 PM
How is the 970 compared to the 981?
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: new OPPO 981HD - 02/09/07 08:49 PM
I agree, the 981 is pretty impressive for the cost.

I got it for the inlaw, we're not caught in the whole BluRay/HD DVD battle yet. However, they need a DVD player to go w/ their Pioneer 1080p plasma. We played the Cars DVD and w/ no display calibration, I was impressed. The picture is stunning, though I'm sure the Pixar transfer has a lot to do w/ it. The lettering on the Lightning looked 3D. Not bad for an upconverting player.

Their customer service is great as well. I sent an email asking about a perceived PQ issue and they responded very quickly and very detailed. Highly recommended.
Posted By: Ajax Re: new OPPO 981HD - 02/09/07 10:35 PM
Quote:

How is the 970 compared to the 981?

Tom, CNET just reviewed the Oppo 981, and reviewed the Oppo 970 last year.

Among other things, they had this to say about the two players.

The only major video-quality issue that we've heard of with the DV-981HD is that it is susceptible to macroblocking--that is, when the gradations between colors are not smooth and visible "chunks" can be seen--especially on DLP TVs. We didn't have any DLPs on hand, and Oppo's site recommends the DV-981HD with DLP TVs only with careful calibration. The DV-970HD, which we also tested, is not susceptible to this issue according to Oppo's chart, although its overall video processing is not quite as good. We didn't see any macroblocking in our tests, but eagle-eyed owners of DLP TVs should be aware that they could run into this issue."

I've been using the 971 (the 981's predecessor) with a professionally calibrated DLP for several years. I've only rarely noticed any macroblocking.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: new OPPO 981HD - 02/10/07 12:15 AM
Excellent, Jack. Just what I needed. Merci boucoups!
Posted By: real80sman Re: new OPPO 981HD - 02/10/07 12:32 AM
Quote:

I did not know Tuttle was francois? Or is it frank-o-phone?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: new OPPO 981HD - 02/10/07 12:55 AM
Frankfurter, actually.

Posted By: treyp1 Re: new OPPO 981HD - 02/10/07 01:04 AM
I have this DVD player hooked up to a Mitsubishi 65732 and it generally has a great picture BUT..... I do see the macroblocking effect on occasion during dark moments.
Posted By: Ajax Re: new OPPO 981HD - 02/10/07 02:10 AM
Quote:

De rien, mon ami.
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: new OPPO 981HD - 02/10/07 05:30 AM
Those of you interested in purchasing it in Canada can order from here, in case you were looking:

http://onlybestrated.com/
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: new OPPO 981HD - 02/10/07 06:55 AM
The macroblocking issue appears to also effect some Panasonic plasma models. This issue apparently traces to the Faroudja processor in the 981. There is a long-running rumor that a firmware update for the Faroudja chip is in the works. I have not seen a trace of macroblocking on my JVC HD56FN97. I have also seen the specific warning about calibration on DLP sets. If you call Oppo and tell them what set you have they will recommend a player they feel is the best match rather than trying to sell you their flagship model.
Posted By: Bill3508 Re: new OPPO 981HD - 02/11/07 05:05 AM
I also have a 981HD running on a Samsung DLP. There is some macroblocking, and it took some adjustments to the TV mainly contrast and brightness to reduce it. Its minor though and the picture quality is amazing. Very smooth with out the grain that my previous Samsung 860 had. Very happy with it so far. Load times are a little slow though.

Bill3508
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: new OPPO 981HD - 02/11/07 06:11 AM
Either I have always had players with slow load times or I'm overly patient or just don't know better. DVD loads, I watch it, all is right with the world. Or it just doesn't matter. I don't know which. I guess when I'm about to settle in to a couple of hours of entertainment a few extra seconds don't faze me. I'm perfectly willing to trade those seconds for a superior picture. We've become awfully impatient in these modern times. Beats the hell out of a half hour of ads at a theater anyhow.
© Axiom Message Boards