Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CV CV's Setup - 02/11/07 11:16 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of my current setup. I figured I'd go ahead and post since I finally got my QS8s. I still plan on moving everything into the basement at some point, with a lot better layout and the room acoustically treated. Still, it could be worse!

Posted By: RickF Re: CV's Setup - 02/12/07 12:28 AM
Charles your place and system looks very warm and everything fits so well together ... the inviting room gives the impression that it would be a great place to watch movies or listen to music. Kudos!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: CV's Setup - 02/12/07 02:26 AM
Very nice, I think you have more remotes and wireless controllers than I.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: CV's Setup - 02/12/07 05:03 AM
Looks great, but man, you must really love microwave popcorn! I couldn't imagine installing a microwave above my couch, but to each his own....
Posted By: CV Re: CV's Setup - 02/12/07 05:52 AM
The air conditioner is going away at some point. Central air was installed, so it's kind of there for no reason. It's my dad's house I'm renting, so he can do that. Ha ha. It's cool that I'll be able to redo the basement how I want. At least, that's what he's semi-agreed to. I think I make him nervous.

Also, I do have Bali shades that come down to block out all of the light. I just needed light for the pictures. Otherwise, they're almost always down.

At some point, I'll post pictures of the basement area and ask for advice on what I could do to make it the perfect home theater/listening room. It's just that it could change drastically from its current state before I even consider that project. My dad wants to make an external stairwell to the basement, whereas right now the stairs take up room on both floors. So he wants to do that, then maybe gut the whole basement and start over down there. I'm all for that, but I'm also all for getting it all done so I can work on my theater. Soooo... we'll see.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: CV's Setup - 02/12/07 03:21 PM
Nice looking setup CV!
Posted By: Wid Re: CV's Setup - 02/12/07 03:28 PM

You do have a good looking setup. I like the layout and colors. A harmony remote would take care of all those remotes you have sitting there. It's one of the best buys I have made in a long time imo.
Posted By: thyname Re: CV's Setup - 02/12/07 05:16 PM
Great looking room and HT CV! Those QSs look good in the stands as well. Any particular reason why you chose to use them instead of on the wall mounting? You really made me think that I should do just like you, instead of hiring somebody to do rear speakers mounting on the wall and speaker wire management.
Posted By: grunt Re: CV's Setup - 02/12/07 05:25 PM
Your room and setup look great. Can’t wait to see what you can do with the basement.

Dean
Posted By: Lorenzo1000 Re: CV's Setup - 02/12/07 05:46 PM
Very nice setup! Just have to ask though considering your Sony negotiations. Is that a new TV or is Sony still dragging their feet? Hopefully everything is going well with them.
Posted By: dllewel Re: CV's Setup - 02/12/07 10:31 PM
Nice setup- I'm sure it performs great.

I like your center placment, it looks ideal as it fits just below the TV perfectly without a separate stand. You couldn't have planned any better.
Posted By: CV Re: CV's Setup - 02/12/07 10:59 PM
I'll work backwards on the replies....

Yeah, I liked how the center worked directly in front of the TV. I still have an center channel Omnimount from when I was using Polk Audios, but I figured I may as well put it closer to ear level now that I can.

As for the TV, it's still the XBR1, but the XBR 2 is on the way, supposedly. The girl told me it would be around two weeks, which would be this Friday. So here's hoping.

I decided to use the stands since this is temporary, anyway, and wall-mounting the rear left speaker would have been problematic. I'm sure I'll be wall-mounting the basement, though.

I've considered getting a Harmony remote, but I've never been able to commit, mainly because I really don't mind all of the remotes. It just hasn't frustrated me yet having to use so many. Other people come over and think it's ridiculous, but of course it makes them laugh, too. Maybe one of these days, but for now I have other big purchases to make!

Next will be the Emotiva amp, then a preamp/processor, then... subwoofer. I'm having trouble making my mind up on the subwoofer. I kind of want to stick with Axiom, but I'm also tempted by Hsu. The Axioms definitely look better, and would go with the rest of my system so well, but yeah... the price. And if I do go with Axiom, I imagine I'll go all of the way with the EP600. Then I'd have to decide between the horizontal or vertical orientation. For those of you with EP600s, which orientation do you have? When I set up in the basement, I could go either way. I'll have the TV wall-mounted, the components on a ledge, and the floor below the TV WOULD be free for the EP600. Of course, subwoofer placement doesn't seem so predictable, so maybe it would be wiser to get the vertical with the smaller footprint. Also, it makes me smile thinking my subwoofer would be taller than my mains.

I almost love spending money on this stuff enough to get another job.
Posted By: CV Re: CV's Setup - 09/23/07 11:49 PM
First off, new pictures:

As you can see, any changes in positioning since last time are subtle. The main speakers are slightly more toed-in, slightly further apart, and the couch is now 14" away from the wall behind it, with the surround speakers also moved to match. I wish I could have the main speakers even further apart, to make an equilateral triangle, but it doesn't seem possible in this room. It also won't be possible in the basement, unless a wall is taken out. Still, the sound is pretty good.

Room dimensions are 15'x18'x8'. Primary listening position is about 10' from the VP150, and a little over 10.5' from the M80s.
Posted By: CV Re: Now w/ Integra DTC-9.8 and Axiom A1400-8 - 09/24/07 12:35 AM
Re: Axiom A1400-8, paired with Integra DTC-9.8 (replacing Onkyo TX-SR604)

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I don't have the hard data that you all want, so hopefully professional reviews will start appearing soon and take the heat off of me.

However, further impressions...

I've been listening to a wide range of material, including a lot of material that I was somewhat dissatisfied with before. I found that the Tegan and Sara DVD, "It's Not Fun. Don't Do It!" which always struck me as harsh and lean was actually listenable. It still sounds bad next to other way better recordings, but I could actually watch it this time.

I also remembered harshness in The Incredibles, in one of the scenes I often use to impress myself with my system, the one where Dash is racing away from the bad guys in the flying discs. There was always a harsh edge to certain sound effects in that scene, and I'm happy to report that I didn't encounter that this time. It always sounded great, but I'm satisfied that it now sounds better.

I'm fairly certain I was running into the limitations of the receiver. I can now turn the volume up louder, and I don't get the sense that the sound is being distorted, or that the dynamic range is being compressed. It really helps out on concert DVDs. As I mentioned in the other thread, I was really happy with the change in the Ben Folds and WASO Live in Perth DVD, and it also seemed to help the Tori Amos: Welcome to Sunny Florida DVD that I already adored the audio on. I could get it louder, and it still sounded clean. I'm really happy with how "there" I feel.

That being said, there was also material that I couldn't really tell a difference on. I was already happy with how it sounded, and I really can't say if it's better or not.

Generally, most material sounded smoother and fuller.

Was it worth $4600 to upgrade to the new components? I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone else, but for me, I'm okay with it. I can definitely see the argument for being more concerned with the speakers themselves. There's so much more potential for improvement in that part of the equation, and chances are that I didn't need more than the $500 Emotiva LPA-1 (and a new receiver with pre outs) to achieve the same results, but I wanted to get the biggest multichannel amp I could, considering my future dedicated home theater plans. When I found out the preorder discount was going to amount to $850, I had to jump on it.

I made a decidedly huge leap in terms of component cost for a relatively modest improvement. I love the difference, but I'm definitely not going to urge anyone to do the same. I really am curious as to how different I'd think the jump was from a better receiver. The Onkyo I upgraded from was pretty cheap, with a power rating you have to dig to find. I think it was 90 watts per channel. I'd be interested in hearing a receiver that's rated at 130 or 140 watts per channel, advertised as driving 4-ohm loads. The only other receivers I have experience with topped out at 110 watts per channel.

Anyway, I'm going to listen to some more stuff.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Now w/ Integra DTC-9.8 and Axiom A1400-8 - 09/24/07 02:18 AM
That's the first I've seen of your room. It's very nice actually. Good move on the toe-in. Any chance that you can move the 80s closer to you?

I believe it's an amazing amp for those that need the power. I'm not surprised by the subtle differences you're reporting though. I would be very curious to know how you feel about it when it's turned up LOUD. Your room may affect the clarity but then again, maybe not. I'd like to know what your bass sounds like out of your 80s (with the 600 off) at different volume levels compared to before.
Posted By: CV Re: Now w/ Integra DTC-9.8 and Axiom A1400-8 - 09/24/07 03:57 AM
Quote:

That's the first I've seen of your room. It's very nice actually. Good move on the toe-in. Any chance that you can move the 80s closer to you?

I could probably get away with a couple of inches. I will play around with it. A little, at least.

Thanks for the comment on my room.

Quote:

I believe it's an amazing amp for those that need the power. I'm not surprised by the subtle differences you're reporting though. I would be very curious to know how you feel about it when it's turned up LOUD. Your room may affect the clarity but then again, maybe not. I'd like to know what your bass sounds like out of your 80s (with the 600 off) at different volume levels compared to before.

I will try turning the EP600 off and running the M80s at full bandwidth. I've been playing with their crossover a bit, but I'm not sure I can hear a difference yet. Right now it's sitting at 50 Hz after trying 40, 60, and 80.

What do you consider LOUD? So far I don't think the average has been above 80-90 dB. I don't know about peaks.
You should also flip your vp150 over so it angles slightly upward towards your ears.

ps: you have to flip the grill over so the lettering is right side up..
Posted By: CV Re: Now w/ Integra DTC-9.8 and Axiom A1400-8 - 09/24/07 04:32 AM
Quote:

You should also flip your vp150 over so it angles slightly upward towards your ears.

Hey, Randy, I just tried flipping it over, and it seems to angle it above my head by a fair amount. The tweeters are shooting more at ear level when it's right-side up.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Now w/ Integra DTC-9.8 and Axiom A1400-8 - 09/24/07 04:58 AM
Quote:

What do you consider LOUD? So far I don't think the average has been above 80-90 dB. I don't know about peaks.

The A1400 can drive the M80s at 700W each provided that your pre-amp can drive the A1400 that hard. So that's about 117dB. I would consider that somewhat loud .

I have to tell you though that I wouldn't have the guts to crank it that much. I know it's been reported that M80s have been driven continuously with 700W (Randy even reported 1000W). Given the efficiency of these speakers, more than 550W is being liberated as heat. That's a heck of a lot of heat. Kudos to the M80s if they can really take that without altering their characteristics but I continue to remain very skeptical. I haven't actually looked at M80 drivers. Does anyone know if they have vented pole pieces?
Posted By: CV Re: Now w/ Integra DTC-9.8 and Axiom A1400-8 - 09/24/07 05:59 AM
Quote:

I have to tell you though that I wouldn't have the guts to crank it that much.

I don't think I would, either. For one, I already feel like I MUST be annoying the neighbors at times.
Quote:

Given the efficiency of these speakers, more than 550W is being liberated as heat. That's a heck of a lot of heat.

Damn!

How come I didn't think of this earlier? I can justify new equipment as space heaters! Probably not the new amp though.... too efficient.

Why, oh why Axiom could you not introduce an old-technology, inefficient, can't-leave-your-hand-on-the-top-of-the-case-cuz-it's-too-freakin'-hot amp like everyone else???

WHY???? (Shakes fist to the sky)
Posted By: Mojo Re: Now w/ Integra DTC-9.8 and Axiom A1400-8 - 09/24/07 03:10 PM

Very nice setup.
Posted By: CV Re: Now w/ Integra DTC-9.8 and Axiom A1400-8 - 09/25/07 02:46 AM
Thanks!
Posted By: haylo75 Re: Now w/ Integra DTC-9.8 and Axiom A1400-8 - 09/26/07 03:08 PM
Quote:

I just took delivery of my A1400-8 last night, and have only had about an hour with it thus far. I can't get any output from Channel #2 but I e-mailed Brent at Axiom on that issue. I'm going to call when I get home from work.

First impression is that build quality is great; much better than my Rotel RSX-1057 which I feel is build like a tank for a piece in its price range.

I did have a chance to really crank my M80s at full range at a steady 105db measured at the listening area. I listened to some hard rock music (AC/DC "Back In Black" 2003 remaster). The bass was amazingly tight and full; musical and not bloated in any way. When switching to PLII Music I noticed a major difference in bass response, favoring the M80s at full range vs. being crossed over with my EP600 with an 80hz crossover point. I believe I have my EP600 crossover set at just above 80hz, so I may bypass it altogether to see if just using the crossover in my receiver makes a difference.

Regardless, the A1400-8 drove my M80s cleanly at very high levels. Bass response was consistent at moderate listening levels as well. Mids and highs did start to blare above 100db, but I've done nothing to acoustically treat my listening area thus far so that could be an issue.

Again, I haven't had a lot of time with the amp, but aside from channel #2 I'm excited so far. I really hope I don't have to send this thing back, as am already spoiled
Posted By: Mojo Re: Now w/ Integra DTC-9.8 and Axiom A1400-8 - 09/26/07 03:18 PM
Quote:

Regardless, the A1400-8 drove my M80s cleanly at very high levels. Bass response was consistent at moderate listening levels as well. Mids and highs did start to blare above 100db, but I've done nothing to acoustically treat my listening area thus far so that could be an issue.

I'm curious to see pics of your room.
Posted By: CV Re: Now w/ Integra DTC-9.8 and Axiom A1400-8 - 09/26/07 05:42 PM
Congratulations on the A1400-8. I also hope you don't have to send it back. I suppose I should check my two unused outputs and make sure they work.
Posted By: CV Re: Now w/ Integra DTC-9.8 and Axiom A1400-8 - 09/29/07 05:28 PM
Quote:

Again, I haven't had a lot of time with the amp, but aside from channel #2 I'm excited so far.

Hey, haylo75, any further word on your amp?
Posted By: haylo75 More great customer service from Axiom - 10/05/07 12:01 AM
Brent had me try some known good connectors on the #2 channel, but unfortunately they didn't work. He thinks the issue must have stemmed from shipping as all the A1400-8's are thoroughly tested before leaving the factory. Axiom is going to send another brand new amp out to me, while at the same time allowing me to keep the current amp until the replacement arrives. I'm not in need of all eight channels right now (currently five), so I don't even notice #2's absence. Kudos to Axiom! Great customer service is so hard to find these days, and every one of my experiences with Axiom has been a pleasure.
Posted By: Mojo Re: More great customer service from Axiom - 10/05/07 12:36 AM
Soon you'll be able to bi-amp your fronts and blow your cochleas to kingdom come.
Posted By: haylo75 Re: More great customer service from Axiom - 10/05/07 01:11 AM
Quote:

Soon you'll be able to bi-amp your fronts and blow your cochleas to kingdom come.

I guess I can do that now as that would only use 7 of the 8 channels on my A1400-8. I've not had experience with biamping, but IIRC the folks around here don't seem to think it makes a real world difference. Maybe I need to read up.
Posted By: Mojo Re: More great customer service from Axiom - 10/05/07 01:30 AM
I was actually joking about this. You may end up damaging your speakers.

But how exactly would you bi-amp with the A1400-8? By that I mean, how would you route one channel to two outputs?
Posted By: haylo75 Re: More great customer service from Axiom - 10/05/07 01:32 AM
I confused the terminology with bi-wiring, but you are right
© Axiom Message Boards