Axiom Home Page
Posted By: framer2180 Harmony Remote and Light Control - 05/02/07 04:43 AM
Is anyone using a Harmony remote to control lighting. I would be interested in what you devices you used. Thanks

Greg
Posted By: bhull Re: Harmony Remote and Light Control - 05/02/07 10:44 AM
Funny you asked, I just ordered one off Amazon and it should be here tommarow. The WAF went to the gutter when she saw the 4 remote controls (Pre/pro, satellite, tv, dvd) and we would have been up to 6 after the Tivo and the HD/Blu ray player!

I ordered the 980. She wants one-control, one-button HT bliss.
Posted By: a401classic Re: Harmony Remote and Light Control - 05/02/07 11:46 AM
Not a Harmony, but a HTMaster that came with my Emo equipment. I've got a Lutron IR dimmer ($39 at Lowes) that I operate (along with all the equipment in my signature). I tried to do the conservation thing and use those new spiral fluoro's, but that created quite a buzz at the wall plate. I, too, thought the WAF was at rock bottom til I got that remote programmed - now all is good.

Scott

[EDIT: Oh, yeah, really nice fade to black features on this dimmer.]
Posted By: skyhawk669 Re: Harmony Remote and Light Control - 05/02/07 12:39 PM
I agree! I have a Lutron dimmer too and I really like the effects. By the way neon lightbulbs won't work well with standard dimmers and shouldn't be used, no wonder it acted up on you!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Harmony Remote and Light Control - 05/02/07 12:54 PM
If you want to use a compact fluorescent bulb in a dimmer switch, you have to buy one made specifically for dimmers. Fluorescents, in general, do not work with dimmers.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Harmony Remote and Light Control - 05/03/07 12:02 AM
Use the 688 w/ the Lutron dimmers. Works great.
Posted By: KC23 Re: Harmony Remote and Light Control - 05/03/07 06:15 AM
I have had the harmony 985 for about a year or so now. Been great. I have a wife and 3 daughters that are all remote challenged and all has been bliss since about a month or so after I got it. Took em a while to get used to it, but now it is the only remote they grab for.
Posted By: framer2180 Re: Harmony Remote and Light Control - 05/03/07 07:10 PM
Just installed the Lutron IR dimmer and setup the device on my 880 and it works great. Thanks for the advice.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Harmony Remote and Light Control - 05/03/07 10:40 PM
I'm thinking of trying one of the Lutron dimmers, I've got a wall switch that turns on two wall lights when switched on, is there a specific product for this or will the one pole unit work with two bulbs.
Posted By: richeydog Re: Harmony Remote and Light Control - 05/04/07 02:05 AM
Now all we need is a remote that can turn off our wives/girlfriends...
Posted By: a401classic Re: Harmony Remote and Light Control - 05/04/07 02:18 AM
Quote:

Funny, I've been trying to do the opposite

Scott
Posted By: dllewel Re: Harmony Remote and Light Control - 05/05/07 12:21 AM
Mike,

The $40 Lutron Maestro dimmer will work fine. It will replace a current wall switch and work with 2 bulbs. I have one controlling 8- 60 watt can lights. As long as the maximum wattage of the dimmer isn't exceeded, you are good to go.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Harmony Remote and Light Control - 05/05/07 12:55 AM
Thanks Dave, I picked one up today at Home Depot after a salesperson gave me the same info. Pretty cool using it with the Harmony 880
Posted By: dllewel Re: Harmony Remote and Light Control - 05/05/07 01:45 AM
Glad to hear you already have it working. Yes, controlling the lights with your master remote is pretty cool. Happy dimming.
Posted By: ihifi Re: Harmony Remote and Light Control - 05/07/07 12:44 AM
I have a rotary knob to dim the lights in the HT room. After reading this thread, I too picked up a Lutron Maestro IR dimmer (MIR-600THW-WH) from Home Depot for $40. Instructions say it takes 15 minutes. Nothing takes me 15 minutes because I read the instructions few times over and constantly second guess myself. Well, it took only 15 minutes, works very well, and I will soon program my universal before my wife finds yet another remote and starts asking questions. Thank you all for mentioning this unit.

John
Posted By: shag Re: Harmony Remote and Light Control - 05/23/07 02:14 PM
Quote:

framer2180, you need to get one of these...

MX-3000 Girlfriend Remote
Posted By: varkha Re: Harmony Remote and Light Control - 05/24/07 01:17 PM
Harmony will probably work. My learning remote from Marantz 7400 did not recognize this Lutron switch so I have to use the original remote. Also be gentle on the wall switch itself. After about two and a half years of use some springy plastic piece inside broke so I had to replace it (the whole thing).
© Axiom Message Boards