Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Mojo Assistance with Room Response - 05/10/07 12:28 PM
I've decided to start the arduous but hopefully fun journey of taming my room response so that I can thoroughly enjoy my Epic80-600 system. I am hoping some of you that have already finished this journey can lend a critical eye to my findings and steer me the right way.

I used the RealTraps test tones that Sirquack posted to generate the room response shown below. I used the two fronts and the sub with a cross-over of 40 Hz. Each tick mark represents 5 Hz. As an interesting side note, I am generating these SPLs in my room with about a half watt per channel from my Denon .

This room response was taken from sitting ear level at the center of my couch as shown below.

The rest of my room looks like this.

Any interpretation of the results and suggestions as to how to smoothen the response would be appreciated.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Assistance with Room Response - 05/10/07 01:48 PM
The part of the range that your sub is handling seems to be pretty smooth -- at least much smoother than the range the 80s are handling. I would try setting your crossover to 80Hz and run the same test again to see if the response improves. If it does, at least you'll have less tweaking to do.

As for the upper bass range, I would try altering the positioning of the M80s. First thing I'd try is decreasing the toe-in angle. Instead of pointing the speakers right at the middle of the couch, point them straight ahead. (This is just for testing to see if it will make a significant difference.

Once you've got the system sounding its best without room treatments, then it's time to add bass traps and first reflection absorbers.

EDIT: Oh, and nice room! I'm jealous of the setup, but especially the ping pong table.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Assistance with Room Response - 05/10/07 01:52 PM
Tex, the realtraps cd is in 1hz increments, not 5 hz? If your only graphing every 5 hz, you could really be missing many dips/peaks in your graph. I know it takes a long time.

Instead of plotting the graph while listening, I found it easier to just wright down the results on paper first, then transpose them to the chart. I actually have a spreadsheet I used to graph mine as the RealTraps graph is hard to fit all the dots.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Assistance with Room Response - 05/10/07 02:22 PM
Hi Randy,

The plot's resolution is indeed in 1 Hz increments. I've displayed 5 Hz markings to make it easier to read. I too wrote the values down on paper and then had my daughter transfer them into Excel ).
Posted By: Mojo Re: Assistance with Room Response - 05/10/07 02:25 PM
Peter, trying a different cross-over setting is a good idea. I use 40 Hz for music and 80 Hz for movies. I'll have to see what difference that makes for the lower end.

As for changing the toe-in, no way! This is the perfect toe-in for imaging and sound-stage. I spent a lot of time figuring this out .

The table is indeed nice. It's the only black-topped table I could find in Canada. It's sturdy too!
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Assistance with Room Response - 05/10/07 04:33 PM
Quote:

Hi Randy,

The plot's resolution is indeed in 1 Hz increments. I've displayed 5 Hz markings to make it easier to read. I too wrote the values down on paper and then had my daughter transfer them into Excel ).

I need to get some kids to do stuff for me too. Mow the lawn, clean the house, plot my room response...I am sure my wife would not object :P However, I am only 1 year into the 5 year plan
© Axiom Message Boards