Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Dave1009 Pre/Pro to Amp connection - 05/19/07 10:02 PM
As a newbie, I have a question about what type of connectors to use from my pre/pro to my amp. Am I missing something because I don't see any cable specifically for that from Axiom. Any advice and/or suggestions are appreciated!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Pre/Pro to Amp connection - 05/19/07 11:02 PM
Ye olde coax RCA ended cables, unless you're lucky enough to have balanced outputs/inputs on both sides.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Pre/Pro to Amp connection - 05/19/07 11:05 PM
I just used Radio Shack "gold" coax cable with rca ends.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Pre/Pro to Amp connection - 05/19/07 11:10 PM
Well, no wonder you've had so many problems, Randy!
Posted By: Ajax Re: Pre/Pro to Amp connection - 05/19/07 11:59 PM
Hi Dave,

If you feel it necessary to have a specific cable grouping for that purpose, Bluejeans cables offers such an animal. They are a reputable company and make excellent cables.

However, 3 or 4 of any of the standard analog RCA cables will do the job just fine for a lot less money. You might want to be sure the cables can be split apart in case that is necessary.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Pre/Pro to Amp connection - 05/20/07 12:00 AM
monoprice also has some very very affordable cables with great quality.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Pre/Pro to Amp connection - 05/20/07 12:05 AM
I was going to suggest those, Randy, but I'm not sure they can be easily split apart due to what appears to be a strap around the cables a few inches from each end of the cable.

Standard cables

Premium cables

If they can be split apart, or if Dave's installation doesn't require splitting, these would be an excellent, economical choice.

Monoprice RCA Audio Cables
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Pre/Pro to Amp connection - 05/20/07 12:18 AM
If you can, Try and find some affordable cables that have a soldered connection. Ive had cheaper types that were not a solder connection that have had intermittent signal transfer. Namely RS golds. The old version and a much nicer new version which i dont ever see anymore

Parts express carries some Acoustic research pro II cables which say they have a twisted pair balanced cable design, Which would be a soldered connection. Vs a coax design which is probably just crimped. They also have some dayton cables which seem pretty reasonable however they look identical to the newer type RS golds i bought minus a ferrite core on one end.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Pre/Pro to Amp connection - 05/20/07 12:33 AM
I should have been more clear Jack. I don't use the "standard" type you show above in your first picture. I like a little more insulation and nicer connections. Actually, I usually purchase single cables versus splitting a pair.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Pre/Pro to Amp connection - 05/20/07 01:30 AM
AH. My misunderstanding, Randy. Thanks for the clarification.
Posted By: Dave1009 Re: Pre/Pro to Amp connection - 05/20/07 03:06 AM
Thanks to all, that cleared that up!
Posted By: richeydog Re: Pre/Pro to Amp connection - 05/20/07 05:22 AM
Quote:

I was going to suggest those, Randy, but I'm not sure they can be easily split apart due to what appears to be a strap around the cables a few inches from each end of the cable.

Premium cables

If they can be split apart, or if Dave's installation doesn't require splitting, these would be an excellent, economical choice.

Monoprice RCA Audio Cables

I have these cables for my sacd/dvd-a player. They are very easy to separate. All you need is a pair of scissors.
Posted By: a401classic Re: Pre/Pro to Amp connection - 05/20/07 06:31 AM
Here's the single coax cable from monoprice.
But I also have several pairs of the premiun rca's, and they are very nice and half the price of the single coax's.

Scott
Posted By: Ajax Re: Pre/Pro to Amp connection - 05/20/07 12:17 PM
Thank you Michael. Now all I need do, the next time this question comes up, is remember they are easily separated.
© Axiom Message Boards