Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jtk SVS PB10 vs. HSU STF-2 - 05/22/07 04:15 PM
Has anyone on this board heard both of these subs? I have found nothing but positive reviews on both of them, but I was hoping for someone that has heard both and could compare them. Also, for anyone that has heard either of these and the EP125, how does the Axiom sub stack up at this price level?
Posted By: jakewash Re: SVS PB10 vs. HSU STF-2 - 05/25/07 03:05 AM
I can only guess that nobody on this forum has heard them all and I haven't heard any of them but here is my 2 cents anyway. I would take a guess from reviews of them that the HSU is the better bang for the buck with the SVS close behind and the EP125 last.

I think you couldn't lose buying any of the subs listed, even the EP125 gets good reviews, just not in the same league as the others.
Posted By: Ajax Re: SVS PB10 vs. HSU STF-2 - 05/25/07 09:40 AM
I've owned the STF-2 and was very happy with it. I've not heard either of the other two, but would agree with Jakewash's rankings. I suspect you'd be satisfied with either the HSU or the PB-10, as long as you aren't using it in a huge room.
Posted By: bridgman Re: SVS PB10 vs. HSU STF-2 - 05/25/07 12:56 PM
I have never even had a chance to compare two of these side by side let alone three, but from crunching reviews against the background of the reviewers I would suggest that ;

- PB10 is the deep bass champ, and probably the best choice for a pure movie system, but the bass comes from a very highly resonant cabinet/port and so the musical performance is probably less "tight" than any other SVS sub or the other two subs being compared

- EP125 and Hsu would both be better choices for a system where you will be playing a wide range of music

- EP125 won't be able to match the other two for deep bass output in movies -- EP175 is a better comparison;

- of the three subs you mentioned, I would lean towards the Hsu for all-round use

Note that the value equation changes a bit depending on where you live due to different points of origin. In Canada the EP175 is about the same price as an STF-2 and the SVS costs almost as much as an EP350. That makes the comparisons a lot more interesting.
Posted By: bridgman Re: SVS PB10 vs. HSU STF-2 - 05/26/07 12:55 PM
Forgot to mention this -- remember that Axiom prices include shipping while SVS and HSU prices do not, so work out the total price on each before deciding which models to compare. It makes quite a difference.
© Axiom Message Boards