Axiom Home Page
Posted By: vivek How to clean / polish / maintain the speaker ? - 06/11/07 02:52 AM
Hello everyone,

I was wondering how you folks clean / polish / keep shining the wooden cabinets and have any suggestion to share.

I have the Axiom fronts, surrounds and sub-woofer all in cherry finish.

Thanks in advance.
Regards
Vivek
Viv, there's really no special care required. I occasionally dust mine with a microfiber cloth like those used for car finish care.
You could call Axiom to see what they recommend. Sorry, I have custom vinyl and just use a swiffer now and then to keep them dusted.
I vacuume the dust off the tops and wipe them down with a microfiber cloth. I have the HG cherry and even the smallest little fingerprint is visible and bothers me. So i keep em shining their best

I vaccume and then wipe off all my gear once a week. I suppose you could say im a bit anal about keeping my stereo gear, and everything for that fact clean and brand new looking.
Pressure Washer.

Well, I don't own the Algonquins yet, but when I do, that's how I'll clean them!
Noooooooooooo !!!
Swifter! A quick pass most everyday at about Mach .04 and all the electronics are clean!
The standard cherry vinyl is very resilient. If a guest uses a tower speaker for a coaster (it happens, I know) you can remove a ring with a damp cloth and it won't hurt the speaker finish at all. The real-wood finish is similarly tough - but mustard will stain it if you leave it on overnight. I'm not sure what circumstances would lead to that, but it was a warning in the product literature!

For general day-to-day care, the other suggestions are perfect - microfibre cloth or a vacuum with a duster attachment on it.
Quote:

I'm not sure what circumstances would lead to that....

Hot dog fight.
Only problem I found with a vacumn is it can leave a static charge and attract dust particles. an anti static wiper thingy works best and keeps them dust free longer.
A Swiffer is the way to go.
yup
I am not sure if someone mentioned this already, but I think that the swiffer is the way to go...
Same here.
Hey, how do you guys think something like a Swiffer would work?
Me too. Same thing. Swiffer. Me.
The speakers actually work better when you swiffer them 24 hours a day .

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist ).
Ha! Swiffers win.........take that, microfiber users.
Ummm, I clean mine with stolen women's underwear.
Instead of using swiffer wipes/pads specifically for cleaning speakers and electronics, I've found that re-using anti-static softener sheets from loads of laundry works great, as well. Instead of tossing those used dryer sheets, save them and use them for dusting purposes. They retain a moderate amount of anti-static capabilities and they're soft enough not to damage any precious finishes. Plus, it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy knowing that you're getting some additional use out of a product that you'd otherwise just toss in the trash.
Mmm, I use the dryer sheets too. They work, people always comment how clean and fresh my speaker smell. ...I just tell them it's because they're from Canada.
But really, I did try it and thought how cool is this. In between dryer sheets however I use (not swifter) the Pledge "grab it", "dry cloth", the same thing I use on my TV screen. I can't stress enough to use ONLY THE DRY ONES. My friend bought the wrong one (with polish) and it's a good think I was able to warn him prior to using them (on his TV).
If you toss those dryer sheets in the ol' hockey bag, it helps keep things... more fresh.
Quote:

Instead of using swiffer wipes/pads specifically for cleaning speakers and electronics, I've found that re-using anti-static softener sheets from loads of laundry works great, as well. Instead of tossing those used dryer sheets, save them and use them for dusting purposes. They retain a moderate amount of anti-static capabilities and they're soft enough not to damage any precious finishes. Plus, it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy knowing that you're getting some additional use out of a product that you'd otherwise just toss in the trash.

Re-use is good. Microfiber is better. 83,000 tons of swiffer/one use cloths were disposed of into landfills in 2005. And they are not biodegradeable.
Ditto that microfiber. My wife is really big on not using single-use/disposable cleaning products, but eve she has bowed to the convenience of Clorox (or clorox-like) wipes. Maybe I'll pass that statistic on to her.
© Axiom Message Boards