Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Dave1009 Next purchase Center or Surrounds? - 06/16/07 02:03 AM
I am getting ready to get the next speaker(s) to go with my mains and Sub. Since the 60's seem to make a good phantom center, I am thinking about getting the surrounds now (QS4)'s and getting the center (VP100) last. Anybody else running surround without a dedicated center?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Next purchase Center or Surrounds? - 06/16/07 02:19 AM
I think that would be the best choice if you want a true HT experience. HT without surrounds just ain't right. Use phantom for now and get some serious surround action....
Posted By: grunt Re: Next purchase Center or Surrounds? - 06/16/07 03:05 AM
I agree with Randy, get the surrounds first.

Before my Axioms arrived I already had the TV and Oppo so just for the hell of it I hooked up an old boom box to the analogue L/R surround outputs on the Oppo. Even with that cheap setup it was incomparably better than just the front speakers on the TV.

Get the QS4 and they will blow you away.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Next purchase Center or Surrounds? - 06/16/07 02:41 PM
Or, if you can afford it go for the Qs8's FO pricing saves you 10%....
Posted By: jakewash Re: Next purchase Center or Surrounds? - 06/16/07 06:01 PM
To me a center is not all that necessary for a nice HT experience, but surrounds are a must for HT as you already have the sub. Get the surrounds and you won't be disappointed.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Next purchase Center or Surrounds? - 06/18/07 03:19 AM
Surrounds are absolutely necessary but a center is not.
Posted By: Murph Re: Next purchase Center or Surrounds? - 06/19/07 07:35 PM
I also vote for buying surrounds now, center later.

Sitting in the 'sweetspot' you will get your center sounds still magically appearing in the center because of the stereo effect. It won't be as good the further you get left or right from the middle, ie. other people, but alternatively, there is no real good way to fake out the surround effects you will gain by having the QS4s set up.

To take it further, I tried to cut costs by not buying surrounds up front with the package and thought I would get by using some old speakers I had for rears. I still wansn't getting the effects I wanted so I broke down and bought QS8s. I am now wayyy more satisfied with my total system.
© Axiom Message Boards