Axiom Home Page
Posted By: RipcordAFF M2s better than M3s for 5.1 theater? - 07/12/07 08:48 PM
Hey guys. I am in a dilemma trying to decide between the m2 v2 and the m3 v2. While it is quite clear that the m3v2 is superior when used as a 2.0 system, but that is not my focus. 95% of my use will be 5.1 HT usage with a 12" Hsu 3.3 sub. Would the m3 advantages still apply even though it is being paired with sub? The Axiom customer service reps are very knowledgable and have recommended the m2s for use in a 5.1 system, but I the "cage match" post that compared them hangs in my mind. In addition, I dont't want to kick myself down the line for not springing for the 30 bucks now. Any opinions guys? Thanks!!!
Posted By: Mojo Re: M2s better than M3s for 5.1 theater? - 07/12/07 09:44 PM
Based on what I've read in these posts, you should spring for the $30 particularly if you plan on listening to music.

But will you end up kicking yourself down the line anyway for not buying M80s ?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: M2s better than M3s for 5.1 theater? - 07/12/07 10:06 PM
I almost hate to derail your plan, but I really think that upgrading the surrounds to the QS4's is worth the extra money. I don't know how it pencils out, but what about 3 M2's across the front and 2 QS4's for the surrounds? Remember the Factory Outlet, too.
Posted By: JohnK Re: M2s better than M3s for 5.1 theater? - 07/13/07 02:52 AM
Rip, welcome. With a good sub such as you have the better low bass(real and implied)of the M3 wouldn't be a factor. I use M22s and would prefer the slightly different M2 sound for use in your setup.
Posted By: RipcordAFF Re: M2s better than M3s for 5.1 theater? - 07/13/07 04:16 AM
Would the M22s be SIGNIFICANTLY better than the m2s? My room is not large, only about 13x15 (with the tv across from the couch on the 13' width). Should I spring for the m22s over the m2s? Or is the differenct in a smaller area not enough to justify the 2x price increase. Thanks!!
Posted By: JohnK Re: M2s better than M3s for 5.1 theater? - 07/13/07 04:34 AM
Tough to answer since it would depend on how loud you would be playing them. If you haven't studied the excellent SoundStage review and NRC measurements of the M2 it'd be worthwhile to do so. SoundStage has similar measurements on the M22 and M3, and the M22 does have the capability to play louder with low distortion than does the M2. Whether this would be significant for your use would again depend on the sound levels you used and can't be stated with certainty.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: M2s better than M3s for 5.1 theater? - 07/13/07 04:45 AM
Here we go again. Yes, of course, study the charts showing the measurements of frequency response, off axis response, yadayada ... I've owned M2s (the newest ones) M3Tis and M22s. My personal favorite for music - the M3s. I actually relied on JohnK's advice and picked up my M2s to use as back surround speakers. I don't think they worked that well in that position. I much prefer the QS8s in either (and both) the side and back surround positions.

So, I tried the M2s for 2 channel music (with a sub) and have to say I much preferred the M3s. I'm not going to say anything bad about the M2s because I'm sure they are better than anything in their price range and because of my affection for Axiom loudspeakers in general ... and in all fairness, I think the M2s would shine in comparison to just about any other speaker in its range other than the wonderful Axiom M3Tis.

Just so you get a sense of my taste, so you can better evaluate (or discount) my opinion, I've had M50s, spent some time listeing to M60s and all in all my favorite Axiom loudspeaker is the M3Ti which I think is their best all around big-bang for the buck outstanding loudspeaker.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: M2s better than M3s for 5.1 theater? - 07/13/07 01:29 PM
I like M2s better than M3s, when paired with a sub, they are very crisp.
Posted By: RipcordAFF Re: M2s better than M3s for 5.1 theater? - 07/13/07 01:31 PM
Quote:

Here we go again. Yes, of course, study the charts showing the measurements of frequency response, off axis response, yadayada ... I've owned M2s (the newest ones) M3Tis and M22s. My personal favorite for music - the M3s. I actually relied on JohnK's advice and picked up my M2s to use as back surround speakers. I don't think they worked that well in that position. I much prefer the QS8s in either (and both) the side and back surround positions.

So, I tried the M2s for 2 channel music (with a sub) and have to say I much preferred the M3s. I'm not going to say anything bad about the M2s because I'm sure they are better than anything in their price range and because of my affection for Axiom loudspeakers in general ... and in all fairness, I think the M2s would shine in comparison to just about any other speaker in its range other than the wonderful Axiom M3Tis.

Just so you get a sense of my taste, so you can better evaluate (or discount) my opinion, I've had M50s, spent some time listeing to M60s and all in all my favorite Axiom loudspeaker is the M3Ti which I think is their best all around big-bang for the buck outstanding loudspeaker.

See thats what I don't understand. WHY do you like the m3s better, crossed at 80 hz the extra bass of the m3 shouldnt matter. Is the sound fuller above that? Warmer? Grr, its only 30 bucks so I don't care about the price difference but I want to get the right speaker. Maybe the m22 is the answer
Posted By: Mojo Re: M2s better than M3s for 5.1 theater? - 07/13/07 01:38 PM
If you look at the frequency response curve of the M3, it looks like it is the "warmest" speaker Axiom has. Perhaps that's what everyone likes about it. From what I have read on these posts, you cannot go wrong with the M3.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: M2s better than M3s for 5.1 theater? - 07/13/07 01:42 PM
Quote:

Maybe the m22 is the answer

IMHO, you really should opt for the M22 mains, if for nothing else, future proofing. And you will have the best bookshelf Axiom has to offer.
M22's will handle the extremes in movie soundtracks very well. I have them mated with the EP500 and they work well with movies and music. They can get pretty loud without distortion - my room is 15x25
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: M2s better than M3s for 5.1 theater? - 07/13/07 03:35 PM
Quote:

Quote:

See thats what I don't understand. WHY do you like the m3s better, crossed at 80 hz the extra bass of the m3 shouldnt matter. Is the sound fuller above that? Warmer? Grr, its only 30 bucks so I don't care about the price difference but I want to get the right speaker. Maybe the m22 is the answer

To me the M2s sound 'thinner' than the M3s. Some here may say that is because the M2s are more 'accurate.' Maybe looking at a chart may lead someone to believe that the M2s are more accurate or neutral, but to me the M3s sound more like live music. It's not just the bass abilities of the M3s, it's the mids ... they sound ... richer, fuller, more true to music.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M2s better than M3s for 5.1 theater? - 07/13/07 03:55 PM
In short, it's a very personal preference. The M2s and M22s are more linear than the M3s. Some people prefer less linear. I've heard M3s, M22s, M50s (own), M60s, and M80s (own). I prefer the M80s and M3s. Of course, I never heard the M3s directly compared to the M22s, and I've never heard the M2s at all. Generally, the Axiom line is said to be split into two: M3s and M50s and M2s, M22s, M60s, and M80s. The M80s and M3s (and M50s) certainly had different characteristics, but the M3s are really fantastic speakers.

That said, when I first heard M22s, it was (a tad hyperbolic here) a revelation. Amazing speakers.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: M2s better than M3s for 5.1 theater? - 07/13/07 05:23 PM
Quote:

In short, it's a very personal preference. The M2s and M22s are more linear than the M3s. Some people prefer less linear. I've heard M3s, M22s, M50s (own), M60s, and M80s (own). I prefer the M80s and M3s. Of course, I never heard the M3s directly compared to the M22s, and I've never heard the M2s at all. Generally, the Axiom line is said to be split into two: M3s and M50s and M2s, M22s, M60s, and M80s. The M80s and M3s (and M50s) certainly had different characteristics, but the M3s are really fantastic speakers.

That said, when I first heard M22s, it was (a tad hyperbolic here) a revelation. Amazing speakers.

Yes, clearly personal preferences as between speakers is a matter of well ... personal preference.

As to whether the M2s are more 'linear' than the M3s, that I don't know about, and am not certain that it has anything whatsoever to do with sound quality. The M3s sound 'richer,' 'fuller,' more like live music - the M2s sound thinner. Does that make the M2s more linear? If so, then linearity is not a positive value. Clearly, a flat frequency response curve in an anachoic chamber is a good thing ... especially for those who live in anachoic chambers. In the real world setting of the rooms in which I have placed both M3s and M2s, the M3s sound more like live music, to me. Clearly, this is a subjective call and your opinions may differ.

Dunno about linearity.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: M2s better than M3s for 5.1 theater? - 07/13/07 07:16 PM
Quote:

but to me the M3s sound more like live music.

That's one of the vaguest statements you can make since practically all forms of live music (except classical) are amplified in some form or another these days. Every venue sounds different. Indeed, each venue can sound different depending on who's sitting at the sound board that day. Sometimes it can be a touch harsh, sometimes liquidly warm, sometimes "perfect." In the worst cases it can give you listening fatigue after 10 minutes but you paid $40 and you like the music so dammit you're staying.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: M2s better than M3s for 5.1 theater? - 07/14/07 01:20 AM
Uh huh. Well, if you can't tell the difference you should be perfectly satisfied with your clock radio as a music reproduction system.

Enjoy.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: M2s better than M3s for 5.1 theater? - 07/14/07 01:47 AM
As usual when I make a valid critique of your choice of descriptive terms, you distort the entire point of my post. I didn't say I couldn't tell the difference between two fine Axiom speakers. I merely stated -- and I'm summing up my argument here -- that the sound of live music is too varied to use as a yard stick.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: M2s better than M3s for 5.1 theater? - 07/14/07 02:01 AM
pmbuko, you're like a stalker.

If you don't know what I mean when I say that the M3s reproduction of music is more like a live performance why are you posting on an audio site?

I think most people understand what that means. If you enjoy being obtuse, that's your business.

I don't listen to head banging grunge. I judge speakers' ability to reproduce the kind of music I like ... female vocals, jazz, choral, classical, latin ...
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: M2s better than M3s for 5.1 theater? - 07/14/07 02:19 AM
Everybody likes M3s. Can't go wrong there.

Rip, as your system changes, upgradeitis etc..., which speaker is more versatile? M3s hands down.
Posted By: bridgman Re: M2s better than M3s for 5.1 theater? - 07/14/07 02:32 AM
M3s have the response curve that "many people think sounds the best" and often sound better with so-so recordings. M2s and M22s are dead-nuts-accurate and sound better with the best recordings.

The difference is only a couple of dB around 3-5 KHz, mostly related to the bigger woofer's poorer off-axis response at higher frequencies (yes the woofer still outputs above the crossover frequency, just less and less as the frequency goes up). A lot of decent speakers in the same price range have a greater difference, generally in the M3 direction but more so.

If you play crappy recordings on M2/M22/M60/M80 they sound "bright". If you find speakers that sound OK with those recordings and then play really good recordings against the M2/M22 etc.. the other speakers will sound "dull". M3/M40/M50 are a nice compromise -- they take the edge off so-so recordings but still sound great on the good recordings.

Bottom line -- the M3 is probably the most celebrated speaker in the Axiom lineup, and is one of the best all-round speakers I have heard. Having said that, these days most people seem to buy M2/M22/M60/M80 and toss their crappy recordings or just listen to them less.

If you really cared you could take the 3-5 Khz range down a couple of dB with an EQ and make your M2s sound like M3s (or bump M3s to make them sound like M2s). M3s and M22s will both play a couple of dB louder than M2s and still sound good. If you like to crank the sound and don't have a small room then you should go with M3 or M22 just for that reason.
Posted By: Theo Re: M2s better than M3s for 5.1 theater? - 07/14/07 01:52 PM
John,

Great summation of the Axiom speaker line!

I have the EP500 (love it) and am now looking to upgrade the SS Bose Acoustimas 15 system that came with my home. I was looking into the M60's\80's, but now am leaning toward quality bookshelf speakers for WAF status, such as Axiom offers!

I have a "bright" room already (total >7000cf) and was concerened that the 60\80's may be too bright, but you have confirmed what my overall research has shown...the warmer M3 v2's may be the perfect solution to replacing the Bose dual cubes!!!

Ted
Posted By: Mojo Re: M2s better than M3s for 5.1 theater? - 07/14/07 03:17 PM
Sorry but a kazoo is better than Bose dual cubes .
Posted By: Theo Re: M2s better than M3s for 5.1 theater? - 07/14/07 04:39 PM
Quote:

Sorry but a kazoo is better than Bose dual cubes .

Don't be sorry, Mojo...just re-read my comments above yours!!!

Ted
© Axiom Message Boards