Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Zarak temporary location for rear speakers - 07/20/07 01:38 PM
We are moving so my rear speakers came down off of the wall so that we could spackle and paint the holes. The new house isn't ready until December though, and I don't really want to go 5 months without surrounds. Any ideas for a temporary way to get the surrounds going? Yes, I could get stands for them, but I don't really want to do that for a temp solution.
Posted By: jakewash Re: temporary location for rear speakers - 07/20/07 06:06 PM
Any shelving available? The speakers could sit on top of soup cans or pucks for awhile, as others have done.
Posted By: Zarak Re: temporary location for rear speakers - 07/20/07 06:42 PM
No shelves

A end table on one end, but just enough room between the couch and the wall to walk through on the other side.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: temporary location for rear speakers - 07/20/07 07:02 PM
Quote:

I don't really want to go 5 months without surrounds

Whatever happens, I'm sure you'll survive.
Posted By: Murph Re: temporary location for rear speakers - 07/20/07 08:03 PM
Is the couch back against a wall. I had some satellites sitting on both back ends of the couch, leaning against the wall, for a while when I had no stands in my old sat. system. Just turn em down to appropriate levels so people don't go deaf in one ear if they sit beside them.

Thin stands can be made imaginatively if you get creative. Just look around at what you have or need for materials and apply duct tape as required. If the footings sticking out are a problem, consider building the foot so it hides mostly under the couch. Depending on the material used and how tightly the speaker sits on the stand, adding a layer of scrap rubber or foam can be good to keep the stand itself from resonating.

In fact, lets make this an Apollo 13 type challenge. Send us a list of your materials, a sketch of the area and an elastic and we will see who can come up with the best solution.

Or not, My brain is burnt from work and I'm not even sure what I'm saying at this moment.
Posted By: JohnK Re: temporary location for rear speakers - 07/21/07 03:37 AM
Jason, of course it's better to have the surrounds above ear level, but you could use books(or get John Bridgman's soup cans)or anything to raise them a foot or so off the floor.
Posted By: grunt Re: temporary location for rear speakers - 07/21/07 03:42 AM
You could make some inexpensive stands out of wood as long as you weight them down. This worked for me as I experimented on where to place them. Then I have no WAF to worry about.
© Axiom Message Boards