Axiom Home Page
Posted By: sst Better Center than VP150 - 08/13/07 04:26 AM
Hi everyone,
I am looking to upgrade my system. Unfortunately axiom seems to have fairly weak center channel speaker when compared to Paradigm Monitor (CC390) and Studio center channel(CC 590/690) offerings. Is there any update planned ?
Thanks
sst
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Better Center than VP150 - 08/13/07 05:11 AM
Look, this is kind of a sore subject for me.

Have you ever HEARD either of the Axiom Center channel speakers?

If you're basing this broad generalization on something besides your own ears, you don't have the necessary information to have an informed opinion.

There are plenty of people that are simply delighted with both the VP100 and VP150. There is also a vocal minority that delights in broadcasting their dissatisfaction.

To my knowledge, Axiom has not disclosed any plans to fundamentally change the designs of existing models.
Posted By: CV Re: Better Center than VP150 - 08/13/07 05:17 AM
Yeah, I have to say I've never found my VP150 lacking, but on the other hand, I haven't tried a vertical center. I like it better than my old Polk, though. I'll probably experiment with a vertical center at some point. I imagine I'll be getting a pair of Axiom bookshelf speakers for elsewhere in the house, and I'll try one or both, just to see, but yeah, like I said, I haven't ever been dissatisfied with the VP150. It's just the need to try new things that so many of us here have.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Better Center than VP150 - 08/13/07 05:59 AM
As long as you plan on sitting within 60 degrees from the horizontal normal, the VP150 will work great. I love my VP150.
Posted By: Murph Re: Better Center than VP150 - 08/13/07 12:14 PM
I can't imagine my center channel, VP150, being any clearer than it is now. I have not had an opportunity to compare it to other high end centers (lots of low ends) but I am completely satisfied as it teams up perfectly with my M60s.

Besides, if I changed my center, I'd have to replace the M60s to match and you couldn't claw those away from me without a really big gun.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Better Center than VP150 - 08/13/07 01:32 PM
SST,

Obviously you have been reading to many threads over at AVSforum from the Axiom bashers. I've owned a vp150 for over 4 years now and could not be more happy. jm2c
Posted By: Bayne Re: Better Center than VP150 - 08/13/07 02:04 PM
I've never been anything but totally impressed with my VP150. And that goes for my M60's, QS8's and EP500 as well!
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Better Center than VP150 - 08/13/07 02:09 PM
Like Tom says, there are no known plans for them to change anything because that is not where Axiom feels that they need to be focused, meaning that it isn't a bad speaker like some others would tell you (thanks Sirquack, I was thinking the same point of reference)...

A couple of years ago, the Axiom subwoofer line was lacking. Not that their products didn't work, or work well, but that they didn't have a piece of the market, mainly the larger, more powerful sub lines... Well, guess what, they came out with several new subs to fill that missing market segment. They've since added the architectual line, outdoor speakers, computer speakers, and have new amps coming out soon, etc... They are making some great steps forward, and filled in the gaps that they had... With no rumor of a new line of center channels, and with a lot of very happy customers with the VP150 (myself included), I don't know why people continue to say that it is lacking or needs to be updated.

Take a look at the VP150 freq. response graph... It looks pretty good to me...

Paradigm isn't a bad speaker. My brother-in-law has some, and he likes them. They are in the lower side of their line, but work well for him.

I tried to look up frequency graphs for the Paradigm centers that you talked about, but couldn't easily find them for comparison. I figured that could help to use some factual data to compare the two and not the word of others who potentially haven't heard the speaker. I wouldn't rip on another speaker product without having first hand experience or without using factual data... It is just frustrating how many people who have never heard Axiom speakers (or claim that they have but really didn't, or listened to them uncalibrated) like to bash them. Actually, strike that... The last time I was over at AVS (for example) and was looking at the Axiom bashers, it wasn't that many people. They just were very vocal about it.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Better Center than VP150 - 08/13/07 03:41 PM
+1 for VP150 i never once wished for something more. I loved the detailed dialog for TV watching everyday.Not to say that it does not also rock for movies and game play.
If the VP150 is your only concern then dont let it be you could order just that and evail it in your house for 30 days and just be responsible for shipping back. Or check the audition list and see if someone is close to you for an in-home audition.
Jake
Posted By: drew88 Re: Better Center than VP150 - 08/13/07 05:39 PM
I love my axioms but the vp150 has been a bit of a darkhorse considering the troubles its given me. It took me awhile to get used to it's accurate sound particularly with dialog. Aside from the tweeter troubles, I'm growing to like it more and more.
Posted By: sst Re: Better Center than VP150 - 08/13/07 06:29 PM
I did not mean to offend anyone, I am simply trying to do research for my upgrade.
Thanks
sst
Posted By: Murph Re: Better Center than VP150 - 08/13/07 06:44 PM
I don't think you should be worried about asking about various strengths and weaknesses of any brand.

If any product had 100% consumer satisfaction, I would be seriously wondering what form of mind control they are using.
Posted By: autoboy Re: Better Center than VP150 - 08/13/07 06:53 PM
I have always found my vp100 totally satisfying. It matches perfectly with my m60s, it is shallow, short, and narrow so I can fit it in front of my rear projection TV without it sticking out while keeping it at just below ear level. Other, deeper, taller speakers would need to go on top of the TV so they don't push my TV off the stand, hurting the imaging. It has no ports so you can fit it into a cabinet without it getting boomy, you can set it on two different planes so it can point straight or slighly up. Dialogue is clear and and music is detailed.

Really, there are only two short commings I can think of. A lack of bass response, but that is handled by crossing them over at 90hz and handing the bass to the sub. And, a plain appearance which can be helped with better veneers or real wood on the premium models.

I really can't ask for anything more from a center channel.

Really, this is one reason only that I would get a new system, and that is that I would have prefered a unique looking, highly styled set of speakers like the Kef iQ or Def Tech Mythos. However, I don't like their sound as much as these Axioms. I'm worse than my girlfriend when it comes to style and aesthetics. My house is pretty modern and the Axioms do look a little out of place. Oh well, that is the price you pay and every time I listen to them I am glad I went with them over another system that simply looks good.
Posted By: Spoiler Re: Better Center than VP150 - 08/13/07 09:18 PM
Hi sst and welcome... I wouldn't make the assumption that the VP150 is somehow deficient based on relatively little evidence. My only issue with the VP150 is that is is too easily localized for me (under my TV). I may address this in the future, but it's not near the top of my to do list, nor does it have anything to do with the quality of the speaker. It does its job beautifully. If you're curious enough, the only real way to resolve your question is to hear it for yourself.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Better Center than VP150 - 08/13/07 10:58 PM
Quote:

My only issue with the VP150 is that is is too easily localized for me (under my TV).

Do you mean by that the centre image is too tightly focused and not "spacious" enough? I have certainly noticed this on some movies and I find if I turn up the centre's volume it fixes it. Other movies however are perfect with the reference setting.

You can also expand the centre image in DPLIIx and Neo6 if it sounds too "narow" to you.
Posted By: Spoiler Re: Better Center than VP150 - 08/13/07 11:07 PM
Well, Mojo, actually what I mean is that the center channel focus is easily heard below the TV, as opposed to 'centered' to the TV image itself. It's only noticed if pointed out to others.. the only real solution in my setup is to place another speaker on top of the TV, although it wouldn't really work aesthetically. Not losing sleep over it...
Posted By: Mojo Re: Better Center than VP150 - 08/14/07 12:54 AM
I see. What is the size of the TV and how far below it is the VP150?

After angling my VP150 up slightly, I found that imaging improved. It really does sound like it's coming from the centre of my screen now.

Posted By: nickbuol Re: Better Center than VP150 - 08/14/07 02:33 AM
Quote:

I did not mean to offend anyone, I am simply trying to do research for my upgrade.
Thanks
sst

You are not offending anyone... This comment/question comes up from time to time from people who have never heard Axiom speakers, or who have never been around these boards at all, so when someone comes in saying "why does this speaker suck" without having any real factual basis, it tends to get old. You just were the unlucky guy that got the brunt of the backlash from some of us (I'm just as guilty)...

Welcome, and stick around...You'll learn a LOT here, and you will get a lot of non-bias information.
Posted By: drew88 Re: Better Center than VP150 - 08/14/07 04:01 AM
You need a TV upgrade dude! That's a gorgeous ht room you have but the vp150 looks monsterous next to the tv....There was a point I made to my brother while watching pirates of the caribbean...the sound from my speaker system sounds so much larger than my tv. I have a 52 inch toshiba, but I'm about ready for a nice 144 inch projection screen being fed by one of those new epson 1080p projectors....
Posted By: Mojo Re: Better Center than VP150 - 08/14/07 04:11 AM
A lot of people say that I need a larger TV. But when they sit down to watch, they are astounded by the picture clarity and agree that bigger is not always better. If I went with a larger set, I'd be watching pixels instead of images .
Posted By: CV Re: Better Center than VP150 - 08/14/07 05:10 AM
It still looks small to me!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Better Center than VP150 - 08/14/07 01:39 PM
Quote:

She said that out loud?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Better Center than VP150 - 08/14/07 02:11 PM
Quote:

Well then, you are simply not invited over .
© Axiom Message Boards