Axiom Home Page
Posted By: sriram Sherwood R-672 newbie question - 09/15/07 03:16 AM
Hi,

I am having some difficulty with my setup which is an M60/VP100/QS8/EP350 with and Oppo DV-981 and a Sherwood R-672 receiver.

I have connected the oopo to the R-672 using HDMI and have an HDMI out going to my TV.

But I am having trouble figuring out how to enable HDMI audio.

I am stuck without any sound coming out of my Axioms.

Anyone have a clue what I am doing wrong or need to do to enable audio ?

-Sriram
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Sherwood R-672 newbie question - 09/15/07 01:39 PM
So you have two problems? First getting HDMI to work to your TV, and second getting sound from your axioms?

The HDMI will send video and audio to your TV from your Oppo, using HDMI out on your DVD to HDMI in on your TV. I would assume you may have to check your DVD menu settings and possible your TV settings to enable HDMI, not sure.

In regards to your Axioms, this is a silly question, but do you have them hooked up to your receiver speaker terminals?
Posted By: sriram Re: Sherwood R-672 newbie question - 09/15/07 01:43 PM
The HDMi is getting to my TV fine (video and audio).

But the receiver isn't piping the audio to the Axioms.

And yes, the axioms are all connected The test signals from the receiver play fine on all 6 of the speakers.

Except, the audio seems to be going through straight to the TV bypassing my speakers.

thanks for your help by th eway..

-Sriram
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Sherwood R-672 newbie question - 09/15/07 01:48 PM
I see you started the same post in another thread, no need to on Axioms forum, we are a small community.

Anyway, the HDMI through the receiver is just switching, so you can have multiple devices hooked up to the receiver and send using one cable to the tv.

Do get audio from your DVD player to your receiver you will have to hook up a digital coax or optical cable from the DVD player to the receiver.
Posted By: sriram Re: Sherwood R-672 newbie question - 09/15/07 02:28 PM
Which one should I go for - optical or digital coax ?

thanks for all the help.

-sriram
Posted By: Wid Re: Sherwood R-672 newbie question - 09/15/07 02:34 PM

The one you like the best, there will be no difference in sound quality.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Sherwood R-672 newbie question - 09/15/07 05:35 PM
Coax is less expensive but make sure it is well-terminated and well-shielded.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Sherwood R-672 newbie question - 09/15/07 05:38 PM
Eh... you get lossless transmission with a coat hanger. I wouldn't stress on the coax quality.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Sherwood R-672 newbie question - 09/15/07 06:02 PM
Oh! How did you manage to terminate your coat hanger?
Posted By: alan Re: Sherwood R-672 newbie question - 09/15/07 06:51 PM
Shriram,

See my answer to your post under the Technical Questions thread.

Regards,
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Sherwood R-672 newbie question - 09/15/07 08:13 PM
It wasn't me--just an article that gets posted here every once in awhile.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Sherwood R-672 newbie question - 09/15/07 08:29 PM
I think we had some lossy transmission.

You said, "you get lossless transmission with a coat hanger.". And I said, "how did you manage to terminate your coat hanger?".
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Sherwood R-672 newbie question - 09/15/07 11:14 PM
That Ken is a funny guy.

In regards to coax, just go to Walmart, Radio Shack, etc. and get a 2-3ft coax cable with RCA ends, don't waste your money on expensive cables.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Sherwood R-672 newbie question - 09/16/07 01:52 AM
Mo, Ken is correct; this is indeed possible, although special techniques are called for(don't try this at home). For example, consider the heroic exploits of Al Magnani in the furtherance of audio technology.

Also deserving of the highest commendation for his scientific researches is Mick Loney .

My own efforts in this area are insignificant compared with these pioneers, although of course there is my spaghetti experiment which I've reported on in the past. And Randy, you were asking about home businesses in another thread, so if you happen to have some old coathangers around...
Posted By: Mojo Re: Sherwood R-672 newbie question - 09/16/07 03:48 AM
Yeah, I know he's correct. I was surprised that he tried it and I was wondering how exactly he terminated it. I wasn't kidding. A coat hanger will sound as good as any cable provided the amplifiers in the circuit are designed correctly. If not, they will fall victim to RF interference.

Coat hanger wire can also be used to make low cost but effective electromagnets. The lamination on coat hanger wire reduces eddy currents.

Thanks for the priceless links by the way .
© Axiom Message Boards